Summaron 35mm f2.8

TennesseJones

Well-known
Local time
5:53 AM
Is a lens I just started to use, (after some kind advice from Erik Van Straten.)

I think I'm using the one that is M mount but can also become LTM with the removal of a screw.

I'd love to see some pictures others might have from it...

This is my contribution, a grabbed one: Sussex, England.

5878341084_5fa95ea583_z.jpg

I wonder if the introduction of the Zeiss Biogon-C 35mm f2.8 helped rekindle in part the growing enthusiasm of this lens? It could have reminded people that slower need not mean inferior. In the RF world we are spoilt with very compact f2 and f1.4 35mm lenses, so it's easy to overlook the slower 35s out there, which may have qualities and rendering styles faster lenses cannot match. "f2.8? Pah - that's what SLR users have to put up with."

And I wonder also about how slow a shutter speed using a rf allows, so more versatile than the slr equivalent.. Only just started using the lens so we'll see.

also i guess people have digital m's, and so have slightly higher iso immediately available?

I wonder if the introduction of the Zeiss Biogon-C 35mm f2.8 helped rekindle in part the growing enthusiasm of this lens? It could have reminded people that slower need not mean inferior. In the RF world we are spoilt with very compact f2 and f1.4 35mm lenses, so it's easy to overlook the slower 35s out there, which may have qualities and rendering styles faster lenses cannot match. "f2.8? Pah - that's what SLR users have to put up with."

I think the B&W rendering of the Summaron 2.8 is unsurpassed. Perhaps the best, period. The only reason why I chose the 35mm Summicron is because the way the Summaron renders color is not as nice.

I think the B&W rendering of the Summaron 2.8 is unsurpassed. Perhaps the best, period. The only reason why I chose the 35mm Summicron is because the way the Summaron renders color is not as nice.

I think the same. Well now with the M9 you can do something about the colors... quite easily, and I've seen good things. But yeh, it's definitely an incredible black & white lens, my favorite, by far.

Last edited:
Summaron color?

Summaron color?

Beautiful! Especially with the new Kodak Portas. The 2.8 is one of the best of all time classics for performance. In this day of Photoshop higher contrast lenses are self limiting. It's one thing to add contrast, but it is impossible to remove it. It's true the Summaron is best as a daylight lens, but where are you going to shoot 90% of what you shoot?

For me it was the ever-skyrocketing price of the 'cron v.4.

I always considered the Summaron 35f2.8 the "secret" perfect 35. It is very good, even by todays standards. It is in many ways a better lens than the Summicron v1/2/3 - particularly for close and tight shots. Less flare prone too. OK, it does have an infernal Infinity lock - but that can be disabled.
The only contender for best medium speed 35 has to be the new Zeiss ZM 35f2.8 Biogon - and, yes, it is a slightly better performer (contrast/resolution etc) - but it is a bit bigger and will not accept 39 mm filters. My contention is that if you have a Summicron 35f2.8 or a Biogon 35f2.8 - you are all set for summer and slow, hi-res film.
Another benefit of the Summaron 35f2.8 is that it was mainly bought by "hobby" users back when - and they kept them in nice shape and used UV filters too. You have a far better chance of finding an optically clean 35f2.8 after 40+ years than a Summicron 35f2 v1 - or a Summilux 35f1.4 from the 60's. Pro's bought the fast lenses as they needed them - and usually did unspeakable things to them too (cleaning front elements by spitting on the lens and wiping it clean with a shirtsleeve, keeping it in a pocket with no caps and rarely, if ever using UV filters).
I still have a Summaron 35f2.8 - getting a bit ratty looking on the outside - but glass is clean ( stopped the spitting/shirtsleeve cleaning decades ago) - and it looks really nice on a M2 - and always deliver! Ok, I also have the new Biogon 35f2.8 and I do use that more - but the Summaron can usually holds its own.

I'm new to the world of Leica but chose a 35mm Summaron 2.8 to go with my M2 - it's a combination I have enjoyed using immensely! Only shot a few rolls with it, here are a few quick snaps:

Back