Time for a new gender poll too ..

Time for a new gender poll too ..

• Male

Votes: 282 89.5%
  • Female

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Other/not sure/none of your business/etc.

Votes: 24 7.6%

• Total voters

dmr

Registered Abuser
Local time
11:03 PM
It's been a while ...

Edit: Please use the third option for any case of none of the above. :)

I like that you have offered an alternative to male or female ... bravo! :)

My camera is a female. Her name is Daisy. Actually her name was Fred but she has transitioned (her preferred pronoun is Hir). Her (sorry hir) preferred filter is Cokin.

I voted & I’m still the same ol me as I was the last time we had one of these. Just a tad bit older & my joints hurt more.

Omaha restaurants and the streets of the big Apple in normal FL...girls....personally I love them

I voted don't pigeonhole me already :)

Need one more category. "What does it matter"

I'd wager that some people are midly curious about the demographics of a board they frequent. While, of course, it really changes nothing, it is of interest to know these things.

One might argue that another category could be "pessimistic curmudgeon" could be on there, too.

There is an old adage about men being more interested in "things" whereas women tend to be more interested in people. While its a generalization and hence partly untrue, I suspect it is more true than not true, overall. Which might also explain why men tend to gravitate to some careers and women are more predominant in others.

And more to the point, it probably also explains why there tends to be more men on this forum than women (or so it seems. Though an alternative explanation could be that women are more shy about declaring their gender in surveys). Such forums as this tend to be somewhat "gear" oriented. We love talking about our camera kit and showing off what it can do with it. This is a blokey thing (women tend to be too sensible for that, I must admit) and hence this forum is more likely to attract more men than women.

None of which says women cannot be interested in gear or for that matter make great photographers. The more the merrier if you ask me. But still there are more men than women here and since it is entirely voluntary on the part of people as to who joins there is a good case to be made that this might reflect some difference in the interests of men and women - not saying its a good thing or a bad thing......just saying.

In days before PC was a "thing" we were allowed to acknowledge such gender differences. Now the PC police jump on us for doing so. From which comments you may surmise that I am really not terribly keen on being told what I may think and what I may not think just in case anyone might be tempted to point out that such thoughts are "wrong think".)

I like that you have offered an alternative to male or female ... bravo!

Yeah, binary is sooooooo 20th. century! :)

<< Husband

Actually, that term has become common for cases other than the stereotypical het couple. :)

Omaha restaurants and the streets of the big Apple in normal FL...girls....personally I love them

Uh?? Huh?? Say what????

Need one more category. "What does it matter"

I intended that the third option would cover all cases where the respondent did not want to specify either of the above, for any reason. I edited the lede to indicate that.

But to answer your question, I'm mainly curious as to how much the numbers have changed, if any, since the original poll on the subject back in 2005 or so.

Back