Unique or unusual comments or reactions to photos

@ Brusby
Yes, that is a popular and Beautiful piece by Debussy. he plays ...
Charming, his connection of Music entwined to your lovely Photo ~

Thanks boojum, Helen and Rob. Yes, it's a beautiful musical piece with a lovely and sensitive interpretation by Mr. Castagna. I was just touched by having an artist in a different medium wanting to comment through his music rather than with words. But then isn't communication the essence of art (referring to his music not my photo)?

Thoughts.

The heading (headline) does not relate to the post. I came in expecting comments on odd or unusual criticisms to posted photos, and instead found the OP had posted a photo and wanted critiques/criticisms. Misleading, but nobody died, nothing fell over. Still, misleading. A (minor) tad annoying.

The photo. Nice candid snap.Well composed. Good composition and layout. Lovely lady (who looks a little like Diana Does in her heyday, if somewhat lacking the impressive physical dimensions) reclining seductively on a piano.

In its day, I believe, this visual genre was known as "cheesecake". Otherwise says - what??

The heading (headline) does not relate to the post. I came in expecting comments on odd or unusual criticisms to posted photos, and instead found the OP had posted a photo and wanted critiques/criticisms.

Wut? The headline I'm seeing is "Unique or unusual comments or reactions to photos," and the OP highlights the fact that a pianist had reacted to this photo by sending him a link to the pianist playing a piece of music. I would call that an unusual reaction, since it has never happened to me (the reactions I get to my photos tend to run more along the lines of glacial indifference) so I would say his post is 100% on-topic to his title.

Now, anybody else got one?

Thanks ranger9 for helping explain.

Maybe my first post here was a bit confusing because it's hard for me to display here both the original Flickr post AND Mr. Castagna's reply/response to it. Underneath the image are the words "Carlee_1379" which is the link to the original Flickr page where the comment was posted. Perhaps I should have been more explicit that to see the original photo and reply, it would be necessary to click on it.

Here's the link to original photo and the replies so far, including Mr. Castagna's.

https://flic.kr/p/2mXMCBs

In its day, I believe, this visual genre was known as "cheesecake". Otherwise says - what??

Sorry if it doesn't meet with your approval.

This was my attempt to help my friend, who had just taken over this studio, to produce a few attention getting photos he could use for advertising and promotion. The amateur model had never done anything like this and was anxious to help out and to try different things. The studio was designed by John Storyk, a registered architect and acoustician who, in 1968 designed Electric Lady Studios for Jimi Hendrix in New York City.

Perhaps you could suggest something better? Maybe you've already done it and would care to show your examples here. Or were you just trying to be small, petty and critical of others?

Thanks boojum, Helen and Rob. Yes, it's a beautiful musical piece with a lovely and sensitive interpretation by Mr. Castagna. I was just touched by having an artist in a different medium wanting to comment through his music rather than with words. But then isn't communication the essence of art (referring to his music not my photo)?

Castagna is Italian for chestnut and used in the plural as a euphemism for, well, you can figure it out. I am sure he has heard a lifetime of comments. The music and the model were pleasing. Art communicates on its own special level, sort of heart to heart.

Sorry if it doesn't meet with your approval.

This was my attempt to help my friend, who had just taken over this studio, to produce a few attention getting photos he could use for advertising and promotion. The amateur model had never done anything like this and was anxious to help out and to try different things. The studio was designed by John Storyk, a registered architect and acoustician who, in 1968 designed Electric Lady Studios for Jimi Hendrix in New York City.

Perhaps you could suggest something better? Maybe you've already done it and would care to show your examples here. Or were you just trying to be small, petty and critical of others?

I will come to the defense of ozmoose here, though I doubt he needs my assistance. Being critical does not mean one is being small and petty. You put the image out there; he responded, and now you're upset. And I will go on record as agreeing with his response. I understand that you wanted something "attention getting" to promote a music studio. What I find unfortunate is the use of a generic "pretty girl" in a provocative pose in order to get that attention. When will we get past that nonsense? It does women, and thinking men, a disservice. Was there nothing else that came to mind as "attention getting"? Why is the "pretty girl" always the default?
Technically excellent photo, by the way, but that's not what I'm critiquing.

I'm just amazed at the number of people on this forum who seem to take pleasure in criticizing others. I consider it small, petty and myopic. Obviously you don't.

And people wonder why viewership and participation here seem to be at an all time low.

I had a similar experience here a few months ago and stopped posting for that reason. 'Decided I'd give it another try, but apparently nothing much has changed.

Please do not let this descend into a donnybrook on various ideas of morality, art and appropriateness.

Why not? Are we to live in a bubble where everything is puppy dogs and rainbows? Reasonable discussion and criticism does not constitute a "donnybrook". That's a dismissal of ideas you don't want to hear because they make you uncomfortable. And if one is going to make a public statement (a photo is a statement, after all), then one should be willing to have that statement challenged. Calling your critics "small, petty, and myopic" is a childish and evasive response and doesn't address the issue.

I've observed this kind of behavior in the arts, particularly music and visual arts, my entire life. It generally falls into two categories.

First, there are people who just love to criticize those that actually make art. Criticism takes almost no talent at all. But I sense it makes those who engage in it feel somehow superior. They seem to gloat that they have the incredible perceptive abilities to be able to detect the faults in everyone else's art. It's rampant in the music industry. People that can't play a note rant on about the flaws in those who actually make music.

Then there are those who have a sense of moral entitlement. They see their view of the world as the only correct one and they don't hesitate to let everyone else know how they think we all should act. The fact that almost no one ever asks for their opinions doesn't seem to deter them in the slightest from volunteering them at every opportunity.

You put your photo in a public forum. Does that not imply "asking for an opinion"? Your photo perpetuates a misogynist stereotype, "cheesecake" as ozmoose charitably put it. I personally find that morally repugnant, and I am expressing that, as I am entitled to do. I am not dictating how you should act; that's up to you, but do be prepared for criticism from people who feel as I do. You are entitled to post pictures of this sort, but you are not absolved from criticism because you "make art". And criticism does take talent, for thinking objectively and evaluating the artistic statements of others. Dismissing criticism out of hand as a "negative" attack is what takes no thought.

I rest my case.

However, I do find it absolutely hilarious that you feel free to criticize others but when they respond you get offended. So it's ok for you to do it, but apparently no one else?

The word for that is hypocrisy!
Calling your critics "small, petty, and myopic" is a childish and evasive response and doesn't address the issue.

I rest my case.

However, I do find it absolutely hilarious that you feel free to criticize others but when they respond you get offended. So it's ok for you to do it, but apparently no one else?

The word for that is hypocrisy!

Yes, I'm offended by your refusal to engage with the content of my criticism. Please, criticize my thoughts. I'm waiting.

You keep making my point for me.

Almost all criticism is based on a grandiose sense of intellectual superiority -- 'cause you think you know better than everyone else -- and entitlement -- because you feel you have the right to tell everyone else how they should act, feel or behave, and it's almost always unwarranted and unjustified.

You're doing it again right now. 'Trying to tell me how I need to respond to your post and exactly what subjects I'm supposed to confine my argument to.

I learned many years ago it's best for me just to let guys like you stew in your own juices of self-importance tempered with doses of feigned moral and intellectual superiority.

Used to upset me when I was just a kid, but ever since, I thank my lucky stars that when it came time to hand out personalities, you got yours and I was spared.

If someone wants to discuss morality, art, appropriateness and similar personal viewpoints I suggest there may be more suitable forums. Those dedicated to religion and ethics and morality. This board is about photos. I would not wish to see a photographic BBS diverted to a parade of supposed moralities. Other than presenting the posers own views it will do little to advance the purpose of the board or illustrate universal and accepted views. I had somehow hoped we might be higher-minded. I was wrong.

The best description I have ever run across of a critic is a legless man who teaches running. And while comment is fine and often solicited here there is a world of difference between the "I do not like this" genre and the "this is awful" genre. It is not binary, there are gradations but I think it is easy enough to understand my point.

It is a photo of a woman on a piano showing some leg, less than if she were in shorts or a bathing suit. My personal opinion is that the problem is not with the subject but the perception of the subject. And that is in the viewer.

Back