W/NW Religion

Out to Lunch, on Flickr. Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva aka the Goddess of Mercy. Buddhism. February 2020. Giac Lam Pagoda (1744), Tan Binh District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Fuji X-H1 - XF 2.8/16-55 R LM WR.

Guaro, Cuba - Vera, a Santeria Babalú or holy person, sacrificing a goat at the ceremony honoring San Lazaro, a Orisha or saint. Santeria is a very practical religion. The head, hide, and feet are offered up on the altar while the goat meat is cooked and eaten in honor of San Lazaro. The ceremony began at midnight and lasted past noon the following day.

DSCF1808.jpg

Parade of the Generals

Parade of the Generals

"Parade of the Generals from Hell", @Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

49619444213_44238d9cd5_o.jpg

Ricoh GR-1v, Kodak Protra 400.

Very intriguing, but what is it?

Sadly I couldn’t tell you, I honestly don’t know anything about what what this shrine was all about. I’m about 80% sure it was shinto, but I don’t know anything about Shinto.

I am fairly certain it was taken at: akasaka oji inari shrine in Tokyo.

med_U68270I1583402496.SEQ.0.jpg

Another piece of religion that is entirely mystifying to me. From Tainan, Taiwan. This tree and it’s dangling tags is associated with a temple, but what it means or how it might be used is lost to me.

What I did love about it, without understanding the meaning, is these women who were visiting the temple and took a break under it. Something about that seemed right to me, though who knows?

Back