Canon LTM Well, I certainly lost money on that deal

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Wow! No, I didn't buy it, but I looked at it earlier. I guess no one was paying attention. Why did you sell it?

Might have had better luck by ending the auction on a Sunday instead of a Saturday. Or a mid-week day. Also I find I do better when the auction ends around 9 to 11 pm eastern time. Mid afternoon is a bad time to end auctions.

Yep, no bites on RFF for two weeks. Then I sold it on eBay for $232 and the buyer never paid, never answered my emails, and pretty much dropped off the face of the earth. So I had that transaction cancelled, relisted, and here ya go.

It's cool, happy to give somebody the chance to use it! It's a woman named Sarah, don't think I know her from here.

My sympathies to you mabelsound.

I tried selling some items on RFF recently, at what I thought were decent prices, but no interest. Then I put them on the 'bay and got really bad surprises, one item lost 60% of its value.

It is either summer, or the market for film cameras is much much worse than I feared.

On the other hand, something super rare, like an APO Lanthar Bessa II is still over $5K.

So, maybe the sky is falling for the "average to moderately scarce" film item.

sigh....

....Vick

Yep, no bites on RFF for two weeks. Then I sold it on eBay for $232 and the buyer never paid, never answered my emails, and pretty much dropped off the face of the earth. So I had that transaction cancelled, relisted, and here ya go.

It's cool, happy to give somebody the chance to use it! It's a woman named Sarah, don't think I know her from here.

I sold my nikon d70 on ebay recently. It has been sitting at the buyer's local post office for two weeks now. He knows it is waiting there too, just hasn't picked it up or replied to messages since July 4th. Some buyers are just weird. :|

I tried selling some items on RFF recently, at what I thought were decent prices, but no interest. Then I put them on the 'bay and got really bad surprises, one item lost 60% of its value.

It is either summer, or the market for film cameras is much much worse than I feared.

On the other hand, something super rare, like an APO Lanthar Bessa II is still over $5K.

sigh....

....Vick

Agreed. It's strange times in the RFF classifieds lately. I am loathe to use eBay however.

You think you lost money?

Back in August 2008, I got my M4-2 in a package deal: the camera AND a Tele-Elmarit 90mm f2.8, black, with the paint from the front ring (not element, just the ring) severely hurt. It looked like someone had put a wrench to it, like to remove a filter, and scraped the paint off. Otherwise the lens had a rear cap and it was in perfect shape.

Since all I wanted was the camera, I offered the lens for sale. Besides, I wanted to recover some of the money I spent (about $868, I believe). I cannot recall it well, but I am almost sure I must have offered the lens here and there were no takers (that was back when we had a FS forum), so I placed it on the Bay. I wanted something like $380 for it. If you check the TE completed listings (I did), you'll see that I wasn't asking for the world.

After having to relist it (and withstand a few lowball offers), I lowered the reserve to $250. The lens sold for just a little tad above, like $270.

Well... I wasn't pleased, but then it occurred to me that the fellow who bid and won the auction probably would build a small shrine for me... or consider me the biggest idiot in the galaxy.

Besides, I came to regret having sold the lens. I could (and should) have painted the damaged area, and now I'd have a nice, compact Leica telephoto. My attempts at getting another Tele-Elmarit have been fruitless... and very often I feel like slapping myself for having sold it. I did use the lens enough to appreciate it... and I really would like one... :(

Lessons learned: never sell Leica stuff unless you actually hate the item, and never consider you have lost money after a sale like this one. :) Tell Sarah she's an extremely lucky lady, and that she should go and get a lottery ticket too. ;)

sigh....

....Vick

Absolutely true. It's a buyer's market for good clean used film cameras. Their prices continue to drop, with no end in sight, except for really high end and rare cameras, such as Leicas and Nikon RF's.

Example: I teach photography to young folks and I supply them with 35mm cameras with a normal lens or a short zoom. In the last month I've bought the following perfectly working cameras from here, APUG, and eBay:
  1. Minolta XD-5 w/50mm f/1.4 $25
  2. Pentax P30T w/50mm f/1.7 $25
  3. Canon AE-1 w/50mm f/1.8 $28
  4. Nikon FG-20 w/35-70 Nikkor $40
  5. Pentax ZX-5 w/50mm f/1.7 $20
  6. Olympus OM-1 w/50mm f/1.8 $33
  7. Nikon N80 body $40
All cameras work properly and just 2 needed new seals. Two came with never-ready cases and four out of seven had UV filters on the lenses.

Gentlemen: This is the time to celebrate because young people have an excellent opportunity to learn to shoot film without having to worry about spending big bucks on camera gear.
BTW, I was the runner-up buyer for Mablesound's Canon P.

Bad luck on that :( I wonder if the prices or demand have dropped for even Leica cameras... I've had my M4-p on the classifieds for ages and not even a sniff. The price is very reasonable, and the camera is not in bad condition.

It's mid-July people, everyone is on vacation. Wait for September.

Loss on sale

Loss on sale

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose .

Classic cameras are at a recent low as far as price is concerned.
Summer is a bad time to list a classic for sale - so much going on that buyers check the listings only so often .
In the fall everyone is back to the grindstone , the kids are in. School
Everyone is settling in and people are online more frequently

I hope you all bid large and heavy on the cameras I plan to list .
Well at least the oil is shut off for now .

Well, as it turns out, the buyer is in fact a new RFF member and is genuinely having trouble with paypal--I think she & I will work it out.

If that's what the item is worth on eBay, then that's what it's worth, period. I am a bit disappointed at the low price, but I have gotten my share of bargains and can't say it's exactly tragic to pass on a great camera to a working photographer, which it appears the buyer is.

Back