Which 50mm are guys using on your Nikon RF?

I think I may running behind the pack. Normally I use a fair Elmar. On high days and holidays I risk a coated Summar.

Reduces the choices somewhat.

Industar 61L/D, adapted to Collapsible S-Mount.

industar_s3.jpgindustar_s3_collapsed.jpgnikki1_il61d_small.jpgnikki2_il61lda.jpg

I-61L/D were only made in Fed mount. The optics are better than that mount, kind of sloppy mechanics.
SO- My solution was to mount them in the left over mounts from converting 5cm F2 Sonnars to Leica Mount.

I came close to adapting the Type 1 Rigid to S-Mount, probably will "as I get time". The barrel of the Type 1 Rigid and Type 2 Rigid unscrews from the focus mount. Leica made an adapter to use it on a bellows. Hack the adapter with a Contax Mount, left over from conversions. Someone on RFF adapted one years ago.
As someone who has a S2 and a Summicron that unscrews (11817) this has me interested!

Fujinon 5㎝ f1.2

Pythagoras' Switch
Fujinon 50/1.2 @f1.2 + S2
Fuji Superia Premium 400
1706082152773.png

Toranomon Hills
Fujinon 50/1.2 + S2
Fuji Superia Premium 400

1706081557095.png

Sunset
Fujinon 50/1.2 + S2
Fuji Superia Premium 400
1706081578670.png

gelatin silver print (NIKKOR-S.C 1:1.4 f=5cm Nippon Kogaku Japan No.3311XX) Nikon S2

Amsterdam, 2019

1707808713855.png

(btw, I love that Fujinon 50mm f1.2 used by FV76!)

Last edited:
Brian: Which version of the 50mm f1.4 Sonnar-type Nikkor do you have? The lens went through several unannounced changes over its lifetime. The first change was after DD Duncan criticized it, saying it was not as good as the 50mm f1.5 Nikkor he had used and liked in Korea.

Brian: Which version of the 50mm f1.4 Sonnar-type Nikkor do you have? The lens went through several unannounced changes over its lifetime. The first change was after DD Duncan criticized it, saying it was not as good as the 50mm f1.5 Nikkor he had used and liked in Korea.
I have several- 5005 Series, picked up with a Nikon M Sync, 326xxx NKJ in LTM which retains the smaller diameter optics, like the 5005 series. After that- about 10 or so 5cm F1.4 in S-Mount running from 33xxxx through to the Nikon S4.

I also have the 905 series 5cm F1.5 in LTM- same batch as DDD. I bought a First Edition "This is War" to go with it, and noted the Postscript favoring the discontinued 5cm F1.5.

Last edited:
Amazing variety of 50’s on this thread, thanks for sharing these images.

Where do you guys find these lenses? Is eBay the way? I'm looking for either that Carl Zeiss 1.5 or just the original Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4.

Generally Ebay, BUT I've also picked up several Nikon S-Mount, Zeiss Sonnars, lenses and cameras here on RFF.
These appear in the classified for sale.
You can also post a "Want to Buy" classified ad here, that should get some attention.

Last edited:
Somewhat related but are there any 50mm lenses that are lighter and less taxing to use with the focus wheel than the 50/1.4? Or does it even make much difference? I really like the 1.4 but the weight and the focus throw means if I wanna get in close I have to book it. I plan on getting the Helios at some point but am open to suggestions.

Back