Which 50mm are guys using on your Nikon RF?

The Nikkor-H 5cm F2, later black version is lighter than the F1.4. It is a Sonnar formula lens.
The Helios will need to be calibrated for the Nikon. Not hard to do, easiest way- undo the two set screws, unscrew 1/2 turn, tighten the set screws.

The Nikkor-H 5cm F2, later black version is lighter than the F1.4. It is a Sonnar formula lens.
The Helios will need to be calibrated for the Nikon. Not hard to do, easiest way- undo the two set screws, unscrew 1/2 turn, tighten the set screws.
Thank you! You writing how to calibrate the Helios previously is the reason I’m considering it so thank you for that as well.

Even I managed to do it so I can tell you it's easy ;) and the Helios takes lovely pictures.

Honestly though, I simply unlock the lens and then focus it with the barrel. I don't use the wheel any more than I did on the Kiev/Contax cameras I used in the past. Just too painful on my finger :D

Somewhat related but are there any 50mm lenses that are lighter and less taxing to use with the focus wheel than the 50/1.4? Or does it even make much difference? I really like the 1.4 but the weight and the focus throw means if I wanna get in close I have to book it. I plan on getting the Helios at some point but am open to suggestions.
there are light aluminum barrel 50/1.4 (sonnar type) Nikkor lenses in chrome and black paint but at a high price due to its rarity.

Multiples across my S rangefinders.

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5
Voigtlander Skopar 50mm f/2.5
and Nikkor 5cm f/1.4 & f/2.0

Sample with the Nokton in Tokyo

Attachments

• Japan 2023 Film Scan S2-272.jpeg
    Japan 2023 Film Scan S2-272.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 8
I love my Nokton 50/1.5 on LTM and would like to get one for S mount too but they're always hazy when I find them.

Is it possible to recalibrate the Nikon s 50mm to a contax mount? I would be interested in trying the skopar on my contax ii.

It can be done- usually the shim needs to be thinned by 0.1mm. I've done that for one RFF member for a 5cm F1.4 Nikkor for use on the Contax.

It can be done- usually the shim needs to be thinned by 0.1mm. I've done that for one RFF member for a 5cm F1.4 Nikkor for use on the Contax.
Is this a service you provide? I would be very interested at some stage in the future..after I try the czj tessar f3.5 and the sonnar f1.5, of course.

How important are those screws? I got a Helios from Fedka but both of the screws were stripped. I doubt it was already adjusted for S mount since I had to file the lock tab on the lens.

The Y2K Olympic version, but mostly use it with an Amedeo adapter on a Leica. It is a lovely lens with nice modern coatings for color film and excels at available light. Nice vintage design with no focus shift, unlike old Summiluxes.

How important are those screws? I got a Helios from Fedka but both of the screws were stripped. I doubt it was already adjusted for S mount since I had to file the lock tab on the lens.
The Helios is calibrated for the Contax standard. The lens will usually focus behind what the RF of a Nikon camera indicates.

Here is a chart from Cosina showing where a Contax lens will be in focus on a Nikon mount camera. The O is ok, the X is not.

4009382399_7570c14e41_o.jpg

If you can get the screws out, turn the optical block one half turn out, and replace with good set screws, you'll be fine but otherwise...

The Helios is worth the effort - it's a wonderful lens, arguably the best truly Soviet design as it did not come from something pilfered from Germany. If you can't get the screws out, I'd suggest selling it to someone with a Kiev camera and getting a different Helios instead.

(edit: Just noticed that it was from Fedka. If you mean _JUST_ got it, talk to him. IME he'll work with you. If not, well we need to know that too... )

Here is a chart from Cosina showing where a Contax lens will be in focus on a Nikon mount camera. The O is ok, the X is not.

View attachment 4834127
A slightly-off-topic thought: as the difference between Contax and Nikon RF is exactly the same as the difference between Soviet LTM and true LTM, this chart should apply there, too.

Reactions: das
Back