Who remembers RFF when it started ?

When a website has been around as long as RFF, there will be valued members who pass on… I would like to acknowledge and remember some of the RFF’ers who contributed to the culture of this site but who are no longer with us:

Tom A.
charjohncarter
Sparrow
Colton Allen

I’m sure I’ve forgotten some … I learned a huge amount from each of these gentlemen and am (maybe) a better photographer for what they taught me by comment or example.
Like others have said, Roger was a great mentor also along with those you've mentioned.
I've learnt alot from reading RFF and particularly from those mentors.
Thanks alot for creating such a wonderful virtual place for us, photos geeks.

This was the first image that I posted to RFF. Dana was then very young.
It was January 2006.

U3565I1136679494.SEQ.0.jpg

These are first five test results for the following lenses: 1. Canon 50mm 1.2 @ f2.0 2. Canon 50mm 1.8 @ f2.0 3. Canon 50mm 2.8 @ f2.8 4. Leitz 50mm Collapsible Summicron @ f2.0 5. J3 50mm @ f2.0
You keep some good notes. I just try to keep record of the camera, lens and film and that’s all I can handle.

I was at a low point with my hobby and thinking about ditching it all because my shots were never like the stuff I had seen when I was younger, and my parents were subscribed to Life Magazine... Then, I discovered rangefinder cameras, the Canonet, Minoltas and Konicas and an entire universe opened up... but it was nothing compared to what I found after backalley posted a link to this site in the old PopPhoto forums and I clicked on it.

Almost immediately, I joined and never looked back.

Yes, I took a very long leave from RFF, but not from rangefinders. These days, in addition to my Leica habit, I got into the Nikon S system. Oddly enough, despite my purchasing newer models in the digital front, I really don't see myself buying a digital Leica body in the future. Their film cameras are the most enjoyable thing to shoot.

I was at a low point with my hobby and thinking about ditching it all because my shots were never like the stuff I had seen when I was younger, and my parents were subscribed to Life Magazine... Then, I discovered rangefinder cameras, the Canonet, Minoltas and Konicas and an entire universe opened up... but it was nothing compared to what I found after backalley posted a link to this site in the old PopPhoto forums and I clicked on it.

Almost immediately, I joined and never looked back.

Yes, I took a very long leave from RFF, but not from rangefinders. These days, in addition to my Leica habit, I got into the Nikon S system. Oddly enough, despite my purchasing newer models in the digital front, I really don't see myself buying a digital Leica body in the future. Their film cameras are the most enjoyable thing to shoot.
I feel the same about digital Ms. I had a M9 once and sold it shortly after purchase to pick up a M6.

Film and a rangefinder: it just feels right.

This was the first image that I posted to RFF. Dana was then very young.
It was January 2006.

U3565I1136679494.SEQ.0.jpg

These are first five test results for the following lenses: 1. Canon 50mm 1.2 @ f2.0 2. Canon 50mm 1.8 @ f2.0 3. Canon 50mm 2.8 @ f2.8 4. Leitz 50mm Collapsible Summicron @ f2.0 5. J3 50mm @ f2.0
And she’s now at the college! Time flies!

I migrated over from Photo.net in 2006. By that time, things had turned a bit nasty over at the PN rangefinder forum and there was a pretty big exodus over to this site. In particular, I remember a few PN members who were particularly vitriolic towards Al Kaplan and some others. This group is downright genteel!

There were some active shooters at RFF but they have vanished over the years.
There was a young man (then) from Spain. Who remembers "him"? He was a very good street photographer.

There was a young man (then) from Spain. Who remembers "him"? He was a very good street photographer.
Which one From Spain? There were several.

There was also Cyrille Rabiller @le vrai rdu, from Paris, although his prfofile time zome suggests he is in Western North America now. A really gifted young street and documentary photographer. He hasn’t been on this site since March 2014. Maybe he moved away from photography. It happens.

Are you thinking of the guy who was here as (user name) Simon saw sunlight? I seem to remember he was a very accomplished street photographer.

Are you thinking of the guy who was here as (user name) Simon saw sunlight? I seem to remember he was a very accomplished street photographer.
Simon is German, from Berlin.

He is a very good photographer, and hasn’t been here for over a year.

Simon is German, from Berlin.

He is a very good photographer, and hasn’t been here for over a year.

Was Simon Becker or Brecker I think ... now Fabel.

You are talking about David Beniliam. He was shooting in Madrid at the time. Brilliant photographer, very empathetic. We kept in touch and we met in Athens a few years ago. He is still doing photography, just not posting online any more.

Back