Illinois 2014 Chicago Fall RFF meet up ?

John - we bring gear, admire it. We talk cameras. have a snack, sometimes we even go out and take some pictures

I think the spouses think this is a little geeky but they tolerate it as long as THEY don't have to listen to us talk shop

I'm already spoken for on the first date, but I might be able to do it in any of the other two. I like the Aug 24 better (we've been talking about going to Galena for Memorial Day). Besides, it's my last day before classes begin.

BTW, John, as Mark said, we sit around a table and tell fishing stories about gear. Or any type of stories. Then we get to paw each other's gear (which tends to be something we'd like to have), and learn about its pros and cons. Last time Mark, Sam (Yossarian) and another RFF member got together to eat some Mexican food, drink some Mexican beer, and gawk at our Leica stuff... or Mark's Nikon RF cameras and so on. It's fun, in a geeky, innocent way. You can tell who we are by the fact that's the only table in the place with a nice array of cameras on it. :)

I think any of those days should be fine. I'm dealing with a newborn now so my weekends are a contradictory mix of super busy with not much going on.

I remember your predicament, Sam... but if you come to this one (provided we meet on Sunday Aug 24), you'll get to see your former Leica strap on my newly acquired M4 camera body. :)

Aug 24 sounds like the day - suggestions as to where ?

I have some potential travel plans that may interfere - but will try to work around it if everyone is on board

Well, set up a time and day, and I'll see if I can make it. I don't think that I have anything going on that weekend (Aug 24th), but I'm not 100% certain at this point (I'm out of town and the Social-Planner is home). I'd like to pick some people's brains about acquiring a small digital with zoom lens, and ogle the gear, as usual. But anywhere that's not easily accessible via the L or by bicycle, I probably wouldn't be able to do.

Jan

Jan, you made it to the meet in Lincoln Square, right?

August 24 is perfect for yours-truly, and Oak Park would be even better, although... how about the Loop? And then a short walk to Central Camera? :)

Francisco,

Yes, I was there at the last meet-up.

The 24th should work for me, too. The Loop is also fine.

That's a pity, Marc. Your input is quite valuable... and you have some very nice goodies too! :)

Suggestions for an Oak Park meeting place? Or a Loop meeting? Someone familiar with the areas?

I'm already spoken for on the first date, but I might be able to do it in any of the other two. I like the Aug 24 better (we've been talking about going to Galena for Memorial Day). Besides, it's my last day before classes begin.

BTW, John, as Mark said, we sit around a table and tell fishing stories about gear. Or any type of stories. Then we get to paw each other's gear (which tends to be something we'd like to have), and learn about its pros and cons. Last time Mark, Sam (Yossarian) and another RFF member got together to eat some Mexican food, drink some Mexican beer, and gawk at our Leica stuff... or Mark's Nikon RF cameras and so on. It's fun, in a geeky, innocent way. You can tell who we are by the fact that's the only table in the place with a nice array of cameras on it. :)

Thanks, Francisco. I'd love to meet some Chicago-area RFF friends. But I'm not much into gear--actually I'm pretty gear-weary these days. And Sunday afternoons usually don't work well for me. So I'll pass this time.

Maybe sometime a meeting could have more of a project focus, sharing what we're interested in and working on. Perhaps sharing prints, favorite local shooting areas, etc.

Anyway, enjoy!

John

I should be able to make it. I don't really have any suggestions for a meeting place - although perhaps we could make this meetup geared around a photo walk instead? Then we could just find a place to stop along the way....

My wife has a privileged memory and orientation sense, and she mentioned a nice bakery across from a cafe called Minou. We could just meet there, and then proceed to do a photowalk (after being properly fueled with some coffee and such).

I'll add details a bit later.

Back