35/1.2 Nokton vs 35/1.4 Nikkor (Rangefinder vs SLR)

Local time
5:51 PM
Here is from my personal evaluation, Voigtländer 35/1.2 Nokton compared to Nikkor 35/1.4 AIS at f1.2 and f1.4 respectively. Bessa R2M, Nikon FM2/T, RVP50 (Velvia 50) as scanned and resized.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
My impression is that the Nokton is one of 35mm's sharpest available lenses at 1.2 without the trapping of circus sideshow bokeh. I think it's a pretty incredible, unique lens.

Apparently Nikon is going to be coming out with a new 35mm f/1.4 autofocus lens. IMO, that would be the one to compare with the Nokton. Considering the Nokton is only a few years old, and the 35mm AIS is a relatively old lens, I think the Nikkor stands up pretty well (not to take away from the quality of the Nokton, as it is a great lens, albeit large.)

Old is definitely the word. The lens was originally designed around 1970, with some tweaking later on. I have both and while of course the Nokton is a better lens it SHOULD be with 30+ years of technology behind it.

The Nikon still stands out as an amazing performer at f2-16 and considering it is an SLR lens with high aperture it is relatively small in size.

Stop both lenses down to F2 and they will look more similar than different.

The Nikon still wins in the close range due to CRC.

Best wishes
Dan

Thanks for the interesting comparison and the beautiful scans

Merkin, where did you hear that there will be a AF version for the Nikon? I would very much like to have one

Nikkor 35mm f1.4

Nikkor 35mm f1.4

Thanks for the interesting comparison!
I have Nikkor 35/1.4 and I love it stopped a little bit down.
There is a bokeh sample @2.8

Attachments

• DSC_1783-small.jpg
    DSC_1783-small.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 0
Back