35/1.2 Nokton vs 35/1.4 Nikkor (Rangefinder vs SLR)

Had the Nikkor, sold it to go RF and get the 35mm Ultron, now have the 1.2 Nokton.

The Ultron struck me from day one as so much better than the Nikkor - which I loved and shot with as my only lens for a year or two - and the Nokton's a class act. Newer, but also doesn't have to clear a mirror.

+1 on thanks for the scans -- this may be the first time I actually saw multiple dimensions in variation in the comparisons -- don't know whether that means these shots were particularly good as comparisons or whether everybody's investment in educating my eye is starting to pay off.

Was the shutter control such that it compensated for the faster speed of the Nokton? ie are the brightness variations we see in some portions of some frames to be attributed to greater exposure or solely to different rendering by the lenses?

And count me among those who find the bokeh of the Nikon distracting -- but, hey, I grew up with Canon.

Thanks for the very interesting comparison. For me the Nockton wins hands down. Much nicer feel, almost 'glow'. I have the Nockton and apart from its weight and size it is one of the best RF lenses I have.

I don't have a Nikon slr but have tried Nikon lenses on m 5D II and have not been too impressed. I do have the Canon 35mm f1.4L and think it is one of the best L lenses (again apart from the size of the thing). Wonder how it would do against the Nockton...

Back