35/1.4 Nokton II Preview

@steveyork, I really enjoy seeing your images taken with the CV 35/1.4 VII. I also noticed that you have used the 35mm f/2 Ultron Aspherical. Could you please comment on the comparison of the two? Thank you.

Cheers,

@steveyork, I really enjoy seeing your images taken with the CV 35/1.4 VII. I also noticed that you have used the 35mm f/2 Ultron Aspherical. Could you please comment on the comparison of the two? Thank you.

Cheers,

Both are really nice lenses, especially given the price point. The Nokton is full of character with more of a classical look, and the Ultron is clinical and sharp, more of a modern look. The Nokton, however, is sharp enough, and I was only disappointed once, when I used it with Tri-X and Diafine. Both are light weight, small. Build quality of both are better then the Leica Summicrons I once owned (4th and Asph). I prefer the ergonomics of the the Nokton, but that doesn't mean the Ultron is bad in this regard. It just takes some getting used to. Since I'm a bokeh lover the extra stop of speed on the Nokton is fun to use. I see why the pre-asherical Summilux has such a strong following. The crazy, erratic bokeh wide open is a good metaphor for life. :) The bokeh of the Ultron is a more modern, smooth transition. I've used the Nokton much more, because the camera dedicated to the Ultron has been sick.

Sorry, I'm no expert with optics, and just now getting back into M mount cameras after a long absence. I realize my observations are a bit banal and trite, but we're fortunate to have such choices at relatively affordable prices.

Both are really nice lenses, especially given the price point. The Nokton is full of character with more of a classical look, and the Ultron is clinical and sharp, more of a modern look. The Nokton, however, is sharp enough, and I was only disappointed once, when I used it with Tri-X and Diafine. Both are light weight, small. Build quality of both are better then the Leica Summicrons I once owned (4th and Asph). I prefer the ergonomics of the the Nokton, but that doesn't mean the Ultron is bad in this regard. It just takes some getting used to. Since I'm a bokeh lover the extra stop of speed on the Nokton is fun to use. I see why the pre-asherical Summilux has such a strong following. The crazy, erratic bokeh wide open is a good metaphor for life. :) The bokeh of the Ultron is a more modern, smooth transition. I've used the Nokton much more, because the camera dedicated to the Ultron has been sick.

Sorry, I'm no expert with optics, and just now getting back into M mount cameras after a long absence. I realize my observations are a bit banal and trite, but we're fortunate to have such choices at relatively affordable prices.
Steve, thank you so much. This is the information that I am looking for. I really enjoy using the Nokton 35/1.4 II (SC) very much.

Cheers,

First images with it. On M-E 220. Camera doesn't show accurate aperture in EXIF, it seems. I selected old Lux.

Sometimes bokeh is fine.
49703344082_6ef5fedce5_o.jpg

It even adds legendary Leica glow.
49702496558_e28385d378_o.jpg

Sometimes...
49703344097_a2e298517d_o.jpg

... bokeh happens.
49703344107_7d53bc5f0e_o.jpg

But at least it allows faster speeds. Of shutter.
49702496598_07fde03573_o.jpg

Thanks for sharing these Ko.fe. I've been curious about this lens. I had the 40 f 1.4 many years back and sold it but also know this lens is quite an improvement for digital cameras. Your "bokeh happens" example with all of that harsh lighting would challenge any lens! :)

David

Thank you, David.

I took pictures with it for three days now. I like its size. Handling seems better than with Color Skopar 35 II. It is focusing accurately at f1.4. To me it is kind of lomography lens on large apertures and OK lens on small apertures. Usable due to its size and focus tab.

It does glow @f1.4

49712554268_eb23224ff7_o.jpg

Classic, I guess, but so far I haven't seen purple fringing.

Summilux 35 1.4 ASPH profile in camera DNG and in LR enabled.

49713089206_dbb120e917_o.jpg

From DNG with 35 1.4 ASPH profile in camera, but turned off in LR.

49713089221_d8a87fc200_o.jpg

Lens selfie @f1.4

49713410617_c92e812942_o.jpg

49712633178_ed221fa28d_o.jpg

Interesting KoFe your comment Lomography at large apertures. That is how I thought of the pre-Asph 35m Summilux. I would think this at least at f 1.4 improves on that lens....as much as we love the old Summilux for it's character!

David

Interesting KoFe your comment Lomography at large apertures. That is how I thought of the pre-Asph 35m Summilux. I would think this at least at f 1.4 improves on that lens....as much as we love the old Summilux for it's character!

David

I just seen Lux 35 1.4 pre pictures on M9. I'd rather have this lens than Lux.

Some more tests. With more careful determining of exposure.

f1.4
49718747646_e2785f81a2_o.jpg

f11
49719061012_e767173834_o.jpg

long term review

long term review

Hi everyone,

I'm back with a personal insight of what I think of that lens. I have been using it since last november.

To make it short, I have to say it is a gorgeous tiny piece of glass.

Mine is the 35mm f1.4 Single Coated vII.

Wide open, it really recals the summilux pre asph, but with a tad more control on flare and veiling. The only thing that disapointed me a bit is the heavy coma at night (look at the christmas lights picture, you'll understand). It can be annoying for night cityscapes where city lights come to the edges of the frame... I hoped this version was improved with coma compared with the v1... But it hasn't and may even be a bit worse. But all other drawbacks of the v1 has been mostly solved with this v2. So it is a winner for me. If you close it down a bit, it becomes seriously perfect. I have nothing to say. Distortion is really only rarely an issue, sharpness is uniform across the frame. Lovely look.

The following pictures are straight out of scanner (Pakon f135+) and have been shot with an M6, HP5, devd in D76 1:1.

All in all, it could be a perfect one lens for everyday use. I would recommend it over the v1 in that case. That said, the v1 can still be very interesting if you already own a good summicron 35 or biogon, because of its flaws that are stronger than on the v2, and creates more character.

Back