50mm/2.0 Ultron with M8

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
4:50 AM
I have been using for many years a Voigtlaender Prominent 1 with 2 lenses, including the Nokton 50mm/1.5. This lens has a good reputation for being a great lens overall, so at one stage I asked Amedeo to work on an adapter Prominent-M for me, and he delivered. His work is awesome, as you know well. He told me that his adapter works only correctly on the 50mm lens. The Prominent camera is known to first class in craftmanship and "last class" in user friendliness. Having the M adapter opened up a new world of photography for me with the original Nokton.
This is an example from the Nokton:

Prominent%201-X3.jpg

Recently I noticed the existence of a 50/2 Ultron for the Prominent, and since it was a 50 mm lens, Amedeo's adapter should wotk there too. The CV ULtron 35/1.7 seems to be very popular, and I got the idea to buy the Ultron 50/2. I found one with the Prominent 1 for a good price, and I bought it.

I tried this lens out this morning on my M8.

ultron_M8-X3.jpg

Here are some results:

link: https://raid.smugmug.com/5020-Ultron-M8/

ultron%20%284%20of%2037%29-X3.jpg

ultron%20%2826%20of%2037%29-X3.jpg

ultron%20%286%20of%2037%29-X3.jpg

ultron%20%2810%20of%2037%29-X3.jpg

ultron%20%2814%20of%2037%29-X3.jpg

ultron%20%282%20of%2037%29-X3.jpg

ultron%20%2828%20of%2037%29-X3.jpg

I paid $200 for the Ultron plus Prominent 1. The lens is very heavy and feels extremely well built. It looks like new regarding its glass and appearance. Most likely, it is better built than a comparable Leica 50mm lens.

It is a low cost purchase of a first quality normal lens. The adapter‘s cost must be added to cost of lens. Still, you get a really nice lens in the end. Make sure that adapter allows RF focusing.

Beautiful photographs with a beautiful lens. How is Amedeo doing right now with Venezuela so messed up? Aren't the Prominent lenses slightly uniquely keyed (Voigtlander vs. Kodak key) DKL lenses?

Beautiful photographs with a beautiful lens. How is Amedeo doing right now with Venezuela so messed up? Aren't the Prominent lenses slightly rekeyed DKL lenses?

Thanks. Amedeo may actually live in the USA. I do not know the origins of the designs of the Voigtlaender lenses for the Prominent as compared with DKL mount lenses.

I think Schneider-Kreuznach, Voigtlander and Rodenstock all produced DKL lenses for SLRs and rangefinders. They do not all have the same keying so are not universally interchangeable (but some can be modified to fit others).

EDIT: The Prominent may have had its own unique bayonet mount.

Raid those are very nice photos. Well done. Looking at them makes me almost tempted to buy an Ultron again. But given the need for a fairly expensive adapter that might be sadly hard to justify. I love the build quality of those lenses and remember how heavy and solid they are.

An adapter could cost $200, I think. I am using the same adapter for the Nokton and for the Ultron. So a used Ultron could be found with adapter for around $400. This is not too much for such a lens for using it on an M camera.

I see it as a relatively good buy since any good 50mm lens costs these days from $100-$1000+ depending on the brand. It is not needed if you already have a good 50mm lens, Peter. The J-3 and J-8 are excellent alternatives. The Ultron may be comparable in quality to a Rigid Summicron.

I see it as a relatively good buy since any good 50mm lens costs these days from $100-$1000+ depending on the brand. It is not needed if you already have a good 50mm lens, Peter. The J-3 and J-8 are excellent alternatives. The Ultron may be comparable in quality to a Rigid Summicron.

When expressed that way it is tempting.

I already had the Nokton and the adapter, so the additional cost for getting the Ultron was $200. If I had LiveView in my M8 or M9, I could use the 35mm Skoparon with the same adapter, I think. I know that the adapter was made for the 50mm lenses, and there is something about the RF coupling that must be addressed separately for the different focal lengths. One (from China) adapter on ebay actually lets you use 35mm and 50mm lenses, but it is not RF coupled.

This one here is for LTM and not M by Yeenon. It is not RF coupled.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeenon-VOI...377029?hash=item3d7e1603c5:g:cHQAAOSwa3BbXVMd

s-l500.jpg

"Yeenon VOIGTLANDER Prominent adapter is design for Prominent 50MM standard lens, two available adapter PT - E(α) and PT - L39 at present,PT - M4/3 and the PT-NX adapter will coming soon.

Prominent and the Prominent II were rangefinder camera by Voigtlander on its golden age, their lenses connect
to camera by "Prominent"mount.

The camera has two sets of mount, the inner mount is designed for connection 50MM standard lens, the outer mount is designed for connect wide-angle and mid-tele lens. The Prominent lens focusing is provided by the Prominent camera body."

I took some photos this morning with the Ultron and the M8. I think now that the color rendition from the Ultron is first class.

ultronM8%20%283%20of%20144%29-X2.jpg

ultronM8%20%28133%20of%20144%29-X2.jpg

ultronM8%20%28142%20of%20144%29-X2.jpg

ultronM8%20%28126%20of%20144%29-X2.jpg

ultronM8%20%28112%20of%20144%29-XL.jpg

As a bonus, there were some dolphins swimming and they must have brought also the birds to eat some fish.

ultronM8%20%2893%20of%20144%29-X2.jpg

What starts out as a regular morning can turn into something special.

ultronM8%20%2898%20of%20144%29-XL.jpg

ultronM8%20%2875%20of%20144%29-X2.jpg

Nice shots, I had a 50/2 Ultron on a folding Vitessa once. It's a great lens.

I'm still waiting to find an adapter for under $200 for my Prominent mount Ultron. Been waiting a couple years now. I just can't fathom why so many lenses today in focusing mounts cost $200-300, but an "empty" mount is $200. I may die before my stubbornness prevails, but I just hate to spend that much for just an adapter. Some are even more, closer to $400. For what? Some machining and a helical thread inside?

How is the ergonomics? Fast focusing?
How is the rendering? Close to summicron and plannars or sonnar?
Does it deal well w/ flare?

I like how it renders those pastel tones. It has contrast.

I am still looking for a 50mm m mount lens and the price range here suits me fine.

Back