70mm Film FUN up ahead

check mercury works camera site. he has now endless amount of 70mm mags-solutions also custom-made enlarged image. but he has not yet dualuse of M RB 67/70mm vacuumback available. it has 61.5mm option on donorside only. accidentally got a mag with defective counter. after max. amount of images(around 64 see manual) is reached no need to open door to zero counter. just shoot til the end. dont ask whats not working. will not open it and have no skills. i developped together with a 3dprinter(who will not print it) a special shim to use 61.5mm film in 70mm spools-kodak and Linhof-versions- and cartridges. 3dprinter will be an italian company who can ship it cheaply overseen. its a tiny item or two per spool. he could deliver the whole world. its much cheaper very cheap than 60 usd adapter mercury works offered. I am now in the succesful works of using 70mm film in kodak autograph junior 2C. maybe also with special paper. 28 images 70 x 123mm Unperforated or 60x 123 if perforated 4.6m standard lenght. more of thinner and longer.
I have now new paterson 4 PTP115 tank the smaller one two reels. lid not that trustworthy and reels need Zitronensäure anticalc cleaning since stiff engaging or not really engaging.

Hi The Darkness! I shoot HP5+ in 35mm and 70mm bulk rolled, EI 1600, then develop for 3200 EI Ilford times, and it works well, gives a "beefy" negative. Speed would be useful in that tepid Pacific seawater beautiful soft diffused lighting. Soft D23 1:1 is my go-to with HP5+.

White Shark Newport Aquarium SRT100 58 1.2 HP5 1600 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is 35mm, imagine how good it would look in 70mm square format? Finer soft grain too.

Yes just order METOL and Sodium Sulphite, I like Photographer's Formulary. Fairly cheap to make up, only two components :) I use it at 1:1 but you can also go 1:3 dilution. If you google up some mixing instructions, I use the standard Ilford time and temp charts. Use the 3200 EI developing times if you want to get nice looking negs, exposing at EI 1600. Works good for me

You 70mm users may find this interesting. Mercury Works is selling fresh 65/70mm Kodak IMAX film.

Jim B.

Thanks for the heads up, Jim! I think that the 65/70mm processing tank they're offering should be of great interest to many here, especially at that price. I don't shoot much colour film, so for now I'll stick to 70mm B&W as long as it can be found at a sensible price.

Thanks for the heads up, Jim! I think that the 65/70mm processing tank they're offering should be of great interest to many here, especially at that price. I don't shoot much colour film, so for now I'll stick to 70mm B&W as long as it can be found at a sensible price.
Thanks for the shout out, Kai-san and Mackinaw!

We've had a tremendous response to this IMAX film campaign so far, including from a number of folks who didn't previously shoot 70mm. New converts! That's been our goal, by launching a central resource for all 70mm knowledge to this new release of 70mm compatible film, we're trying to revitalize the format and bring it to a new generation of photographers. But it's also a no-brainer for anyone who already has 70mm gear--unless you just don't like shooting color.

Our range of special 65/70mm backs (the new 6x12 panoramic back for large format cameras, and 6x6 and 6x9 medium format backs) is also part of this campaign, and while supply of those is very limited, they are available to 70mm shooters, even if they don't shoot the new IMAX film. The same goes for our 65/70mm bulk loader, 70mm splicer, negative holders, etc. We have a lot of 70mm gear for sale as part of this initiative.

But as Kai-san mentioned, our long roll daylight processing tank, which can take both 65mm and 70mm, is likely one of the biggest breakthroughs for 70mm photographers who develop at home and don't want to be limited to 220 length loads.

Here's the 65mm IMAX campaign info page and here's the store for both 65mm and 70mm.

Cheers,
Zach

The 65mm film campaign ends Saturday night. We're in our final 48 hours, so be sure to get your order in soon if you are interested in any 65mm film or 65/70mm equipment!

Got two cans of 100ft 70mm Kodak P3200 Un-Perf. Going to check its condition.
Will be interested to hear your experiences with that. I still have to get busy with my 2485 hundred foot roll. I spoiled it by using the wrong stop bath, it created an impenetrable dichroic fog, negs were -totally- opaque. Live and learn. Will be trying again soon I hope.

2475 in 35mm was a fave of mine when doing reportage in the 70's.

Have you heard about the rubber wheel, replacing the std cog in the A70's? Works good, runs unperfed OK.

Hello,

I developed first test roll of P3200 film. It looks like film has grain and need to be pushed about 1 stop during development. Also I'm going to try develop it in warmer developer. Filmed at ISO 400. Developer T-MAX 1+4 10:30 at 18C.

On the shot with films - the leftmost one.

PS Sorry for scratches. It was hard to fit it into my Cannon 9000f scanner.

Attachments

• 20231105_143547.jpg
    20231105_143547.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0010 (1).jpg
    IMG_0010 (1).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0009 (2).jpg
    IMG_0009 (2).jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0009 (3).jpg
    IMG_0009 (3).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 10
Hi Maksym!

Those look great, I don't see any fog at all on the right. That's quite a find. Excellent results. Thanks for contributing. Does this film have perforations? Are you using the rubber wheel if it's unperforated?

NICE Blad EL/70 you have there too :) That IS the best way to shoot 70mm!

On the right HP5+ and Acros. This film (P3200) is non-perforated. But I filmed it with standard wheel for perforated one. There is small scratches at the film start. Now I also got rubber one. But it looks like you can film unperforated film with standard one.

Hi Maksym,

Agfa makes the 70mm Aviphot 200, I believe Rollei rebranded it as 400s? It is -not- 400. LOL. A Dealer in Germany had hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of rolls fresh in stock at like 80 Euros at one point. I have a few rolls, both Aviphot and Rollei. Rolls do pop up here and there, as many rolls were sold. Agfa has a big minimum order, but they will roll some up for us if the order is big enough.

How are you doing with the P3200? Your results look very nice. I have a roll of Kodak 2485 type II perfed, I need to do some testing with it. First roll was a Dud, didn't know acid stop bath necessary with 2485. Other wise it develops an ugly opaque solid Dichroic FOG. Who would know? Wasted roll.

Last edited:
Back