7Artisans 25 mm 1.8 lens

Yes, this is correct. I don't need a tele for M 4/3. What I need is an amazingly good wide angle lens for M 4/3.
How good is the Olympus 12mm 2.0? A 17mm lens would also do.
CV wide angle lenses would also work well, I think.
Such as Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra-Wide Heliar M-mount lens - ver II

Raid, check out the reviews for the Rokinon / Samyang 12mm f2. It gets universally extremely good reviews. I made the mistake of mentioning this in a camera store a month or two back when chatting to a salesperson and long story short now I own one. He had one second hand for about $280 Australian.

In reality of course, it was not a mistake as it turns out as it is a very good lens just as the reviews say. It is however manual focus but even this has its advantages (a) it is comparatively inexpensive given its build quality and its optical quality and (b) because it does not rely on electrical controls, you can get an M43 to Sony NEX lens adapter and reportedly use it on NEX cropped sensor cameras with good results. I bought an adapter recently and am awaiting its arrival to test for myself. On an M43 of course it is equivalent to 24mm and on an NEX around an 18mm.

https://petapixel.com/2014/06/04/review-rokinon-12mm-f2-0-great-option-astrophotogs-budget/

http://www.rokinon.com/lenses/digital-photo-lenses/12mm-f20

I am more of a tele lens type of shooter but last time I went on holidays I took my M43 kit to save weight and did end up missing having a good wide angle for some shots. More than once I had to shoot several shots in succession and then combine them in post processing using Microsoft's ICE software. Bu that was not always satisfactory. Having at least one good wide angle is I have decided a necessity.

Thanks for the tip, Peter. A 24mm 2.0 lens would be very useful in travel If the cost is low, it may be a good choice for me.

More with the 7Artisans 25 1.8:

And a 1:1 crop:

I am having a lot of fun with this little camera, and my Leica M lens adapter comes in tomorrow. For me M4/3 is about keeping it small. Those 'pro' zooms for it which are huge completely defeats the purpose, and if I was going to go big like that I would just use a camera with a bigger sensor.

I have the 12-32 Panasonic pancake zoom coming next week (ebay!) for very little money. Ming Thein recommended it over the Olympus offerings in that class, and I trust his opinons from a technical perspective.

My bad. I have no evidence that it is indeed a repackaged CCTV lens. It's just to me those 25mm f1.8 lenses look suspiciously similar to each others, same FL, same aperture, same numbers of blades, same "no f/11"... There you go the same lens branded in another name.

I would at least remove the "HD.MC" from the front ring if I was the maker :D.

BTW:Actually the newer CCTV lenses (which are Chinese design)provide surprisingly good image quality, the makers are just not good at packaging their lenses to make them look more premium.

It does look similar to the Fujian 25mm Mark 2, f1.8 which we tried. It was returned the next day for a better lens (just named APSC 25MM F1.8 which is also c mount but bigger and has a red ring, much more acceptable quality). Corners were poor and not like the original Fujians which were so bad they were kind of good.

images

The better option for $25 more:
4OEoXLMRi_8PNlSc6UAMOL1f_x5GNNz8LFY-2KB6aciBPCf9jWaZZqg3dEisudkbmGEhkPE6Ch0msHTLtz2TgKQRZCzizLLuDpgOhdIPMetSxj16C8lfulYdD3chz9t4k6j91pb_wUbGulHjZaRDtgImK-dX0Oe449XhObd5aAKLxmtf3lZ_CcAdIUz4NmSxc8JWIxtme_KuizxyeE4OydTEl6bHfNAtFgrjHxs=w384-h384-nc

...It does look similar to the Fujian 25mm Mark 2, f1.8 which we tried. It was returned the next day for a better lens (just named APSC 25MM F1.8 which is also c mount but bigger and has a red ring, much more acceptable quality). Corners were poor and not like the original Fujians which were so bad they were kind of good.

So you paid $32 for the Fujian 25mm 1.8, w free shipping from China (if you're from US or Canada, the seller may have to pay $10 for China Post),
so for a $22 lens and you're complaining about the 'Built Quality'!!?? a pair of shade w 2 plastic lens cost more than $22...

Every intersection in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan has two cctv, where do you think the lenses were made?

So you paid $32 for the Fujian 25mm 1.8, w free shipping from China (if you're from US or Canada, the seller may have to pay $10 for China Post),
so for a $22 lens and you're complaining about the 'Built Quality'!!?? a pair of shade w 2 plastic lens cost more than $22...

Every intersection in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan has two cctv, where do you think the lenses were made?

I didnt complain about the build quality. I just said the corners weren't as good as another lens they had so I swapped it.

I am in Asia and bought it in a store. The better one was 1,900 Thai Baht, about £40.

Back