A Hasselblad, more than 40 years after first looking.

While we've been chatting about viewfinder screens:
My rescue orchid is plugging forward on opening blossoms ... #5 opened late Sunday and was ready to photograph yesterday. #6 just opened this morning ... Have to get the camera out again. And #7 will likely be in a day or two.

Five Blossoms-Sixth Opening (B&W)

Five Blossoms-Sixth Opening

Both made with:
Hasselblad 500CM, CFVII 50c, & CF Sonnar 180mm f/4 lens
ISO 400 @ f/16 @ 1 second (approximately)

What's your preference in rendering?
From a nearly dead stick to a beautiful flowering orchid, it makes me happy. :)

enjoy, G

While we've been chatting about viewfinder screens:
My rescue orchid is plugging forward on opening blossoms ... #5 opened late Sunday and was ready to photograph yesterday. #6 just opened this morning ... Have to get the camera out again. And #7 will likely be in a day or two.

Five Blossoms-Sixth Opening (B&W)

Five Blossoms-Sixth Opening

Both made with:
Hasselblad 500CM, CFVII 50c, & CF Sonnar 180mm f/4 lens
ISO 400 @ f/16 @ 1 second (approximately)

What's your preference in rendering?
From a nearly dead stick to a beautiful flowering orchid, it makes me happy. :)

enjoy, G
There’s something quite ethereal, almost romantic about the black and white image. The colour image is technically excellent, but appears as a photo of a pretty flower with less emotion, in comparison. Perhaps a crop of the colour version?

There’s something quite ethereal, almost romantic about the black and white image. The colour image is technically excellent, but appears as a photo of a pretty flower with less emotion, in comparison. Perhaps a crop of the colour version?
Thank you!

I tried six different views and crops on the color version, some of which were interesting but really need to be seen as part of a set rather than as a singleton image. The monochrome rendering just popped for me almost immediately .. I guess because of my biased like for monochromatic photographs. :)

Well, the orchid has achieved six open blossoms this morning, so another shooting spree is in the wind...

G

Such a lovely image, and with probably my favorite 907x lens. Just brings back to mind that a nice fast normal lens is one of the most versatile choices you can have in your kit.

G
Many tnanks -- I was thinking the same thing about the 65.. I think it's likely the best lens in their lineup. Combine that with the 45P and that's pretty much all you need.

Luckily I swapped the 50 for the 80 CF with hood for these two shots. As I knocked over the tripod and smashed the hood but seem to have saved the lens and the camera.
I won't chase balloons from under trees again. This is Ektar 100 early morning just after sunrise. I guessed the exposure, 2.8 at 1/60th.

Balloon above tree.jpg

Balloon tree silhouette.jpg

Last edited:
The orchid has opened two more blossoms over the past two days ...

Orchid Triple Blossom - Santa Clara 2024
Hasselblad 907x/CFVII 50c + CF Sonnar 180mm f/4 (V system)
ISO 100 @ f/11 @ 1.3 sec

Four more buds to go! :D

G
I have been keenly following your developing (sorry) Orchid story and looked back for mine, this was almost 10 years ago, where on earth does time fly to?
I had been looking for a while for a 180mm a lens missing from my Hasselblad set and one came up, not only that but it was an E series with the contacts. This means when using the CF adapter on the H1 the lens type is fed to the body as is the F stop which makes life so much easier.
This was the close up test although the lens is optimised for infinity we are told, pressing the Orchid into use, a lens that deserves its reputation.
Zeiss Sonnar 180 CFE on H1, Delta 100 XTOL, 8mins @69degree, scan on V850.

17941885673_04cb83c3f2_c.jpg

My orchid opened all its buds pretty much the day I had to leave for two weeks travel. I'm hoping the blossoms are still there when I get back home on Wednesday so I can get the final photo in the set. :)

The CF Sonnar 180/4, in truly mint shape at just over $400, was a heck of a deal and is a superb lens to work with. I'm very glad I decided to go for it! I'm sure I could not get the old Sonnar 150/4 restored to similar condition for just that amount of money. Happily that lens still works well, despite its damage, and I'll keep using it until it jams up solid or the shutter dies.

I'm trying not to over-buy on Hasselblad V system goodies, but it's hard because the old bricks do work so very well. :)

G

You definitely got your moneys worth on that Phase One back. Lovely color and IQ.
Thank you, appreciated. I swapped it for a P45 back later and regretted it finding out about what became called "fat pixels" after the fact, not making the same mistake with the M8. It was a difficult colour for a sensor but that one handled it with aplomb.

Last edited:
My orchid opened all its buds pretty much the day I had to leave for two weeks travel. I'm hoping the blossoms are still there when I get back home on Wednesday so I can get the final photo in the set. :)

The CF Sonnar 180/4, in truly mint shape at just over $400, was a heck of a deal and is a superb lens to work with. I'm very glad I decided to go for it! I'm sure I could not get the old Sonnar 150/4 restored to similar condition for just that amount of money. Happily that lens still works well, despite its damage, and I'll keep using it until it jams up solid or the shutter dies.

I'm trying not to over-buy on Hasselblad V system goodies, but it's hard because the old bricks do work so very well. :)

G
Fingers crossed for the Orchid, too often the first to open begin to go over before the last opens, shouldn't have said that, it'll be fine. 🤞

500CM 135 f5.6 S Planar C TStar Polaroid Hazylight by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hasselblad 500C/M 135mm F5.6 C T* S-Planar Bellows Lens. Fuji Instant B&W Film. Broncolor Hazylight 6000J Modeling Light Only 1000 Watts.

Testing Studio Lighting 350mm f.56 Tele Tessar ELM by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hasselblad EL/M with 350mm F5.6 black Non-T* Tele-Tessar. Ilford 120 FP4+. Broncolor Balloon Head (gorgeous light as smooth and soft as you can get!) camera left, silver reflector just off camera right. Laser aligned Omega DII 180mm black Rodagon 8x10 Arista Matte #2 Multigrade. 18mm Hasselblad Extension Tube brought the 350mm lens into focus at this close distance. Seamless Paper "Sky Blue" Savage.

Back