A miracle lens, a miracle shot.

:eek:

CAN I send you all my lenses so you have them cleaned and reassembled !? :D

Now seriously, that thing is SHARP ! So maybe it's really worth to take the thing seriously and start learning how to clean and assemble a lens.

They're sharp allright. A hundred questions pop to mind straight away...

What kind of seals did you find in there, what condition were they in?
Lubricant, what did you use on re-assembly?
How did you clean the glass?
Did everything go back together properly - any parts left over?
Did you burr any little screws, or have any anxious moments?

Your lens does look sharp, congrats on the nice overhaul.

I've found most of the Soviet lenses can benefit from at least the focusing threads being relubed, it makes a world of difference for a user lens. I doubt I'd "teach myself" to service a Leica lens but with the Soviet copies I was happy to get stuck in. The collapsible lenses are very good quality from what I've seen, the later Ind-50 is said to be the best of the bunch but I've had excellent results from the Ind-22 and FED (Ind-10) lenses as well.

Very nice - and now you have the masses demanding a step-by-step instruictions guide on lens cleaning ;)

rsilfverberg said:
Very nice - and now you have the masses demanding a step-by-step instruictions guide on lens cleaning ;)

Not only that, but we want the 'before' and 'after' pictures as well ! :D

Guys,

I didn't expect all these responses, in fact I did it because of John Robertson, he has proved the FED 50mm is a gem, that's why I gave it a shot.

The cleaning process is an interesting story, I will find a good way to show to all you guys ASAP, but don't expect too much, my methods are quite DIY, and don't try them on the CV or Xpan lenses.

I will keep all you guys informed ASAP, OK ?

You know, I have an Industar 61 LD with a toupee between the elements. Maybe there is hope for it yet.

I've tried disassembling my lens and I realised there's such a tool as a "lens spanner" acc. to the websites to unscrew the plastic bits holding the lens in place. Anyone know what can be used in place of a proper lens spanner to open it?

Miracle Shot

Miracle Shot

Dear Dingo, I can't see the pictures. All it is is a lot of squares labeled "Thumbnail Unavailable." I'm sorry!

I have a couple of FSU lenses that Brian Sweeney adapted to LTM, and he may have also cleaned them up really well. They are very sharp, I think.

An incredible lens is the Helios 53mm 1.8. I have one on my Kiev4AM, and it is fantastic. I 'd like to convert it to M mount. I see that there is an Amadeo adapter for Contax - M, and also one for Nikon S - M. As I also have a Nikon S Voigtlander 50 3.5 (which is superb too!) I wish I could use the same adapter for both.

An incredible lens is the Helios 53mm 1.8. I have one on my Kiev4AM, and it is fantastic. I 'd like to convert it to M mount. I see that there is an Amadeo adapter for Contax - M, and also one for Nikon S - M. As I also have a Nikon S Voigtlander 50 3.5 (which is superb too!) I wish I could use the same adapter for both.

I agree. I have one and a Contax/Leica converter from back before Amadeo existed. The only downside to the lens is the aperture ring is three times the size of the part to grab to focus which leads to inadvertently changing the aperture. Great lens though. Too bad no one has come up with a way to convert it the right way.

Back