Canada A small(ish) shared Freestyle order for OZ ... five people max!

I'd also be interested to know. I recently spent a bunch of time in Brisbane, during much of which I was put up in a flat in the Valley, so I know the area fairly well.

...Mike

Thanks for the well wishes ... my dad is a tough old bird even at eighty nine and if the stroke turns out to be minor as his last one was around ten years ago he'll confound us all once again with his resilience. If he doesn't and leaves us he won't mind I'm sure because his ambition many years ago was to out live the last pope which he has already done very convincingly. Being raised as a catholic and educated by christian brothers left him with a strong dislike for the religion of catholicism ... but not necessarily an athiest. I think he's still not sure about it all!

To answer the question about the project in Fortitude Valley the artist is Adrian Davis and this is his blog about the project which is funded by the Brisbane City Council and is going into Kemp Park next to Chinatown at the approach to the Story Bridge. Adrian is a very good and close friend and we do a lot of work together ... I supply most of the photos for his web site and also get paid by him for aiding with fabrication and instalations.

Last edited:
I haven't checked Freestyle prices - no doubt Keith has and that's what drives the idea of a 'collective' order, but if any of you guys are short of stuff and haven't checked Les Porter's site you probably should. I get all my film, paper, printer cartridges and chemicals from him. Service is prompt and prices reasonable compared to other Oz sources. See <http://www.lesporter.com.au/>.

I haven't checked Freestyle prices - no doubt Keith has and that's what drives the idea of a 'collective' order, but if any of you guys are short of stuff and haven't checked Les Porter's site you probably should. I get all my film, paper, printer cartridges and chemicals from him. Service is prompt and prices reasonable compared to other Oz sources. See <http://www.lesporter.com.au/>.

There's the rub - Oz prices, at least for what I buy (e6 mainly), are literally off the planet.

I had a look at the lesporter site... 5 rolls of Astia 35mm = AuD$113.30 = US$94.89 = $18.98/roll. Compare to Freestyle US$5.59/roll. Even paying $1/roll for freight in an order, it's a massive saving, 60% or more.

For other things lesporter may be competitive. Surprisingly my chemicals from vanbar are cheaper than from the usa shops, so I guess there's swings and roundabouts.

Cheers...
Chris.

Yes, those "handling fees" are a bit unsavoury. On this last order the total shipping fee charged was US$50 higher than the actual postage cost, so that amounts to a $50 handling fee on a US$750 order.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble it is also possible to get a friend/trusted forum member from the States to receive the package and then from there send it over to Australia. Payment is the biggest hurdle here as freestyle apparently only wants to ship to the address on the CC?

I've never had film sent over by post though so i'm not sure about the x-ray scans they may experience through customs or if such would be any different if sent from a resident not a commercial source(special provisions for shops sending film?). I have had Tri-X brought over from Shanghai, left in the luggage and it is fine, although it is only a 400iso. I'm just throwing the idea out there, I myself am not in need of any more film for a long while.

Back