A Tweet about why Agfa and Fuji are getting out of the film business.

There are a few clowns over at Photrio who think Fujifilm is 100% committed to film. I hope they read this article.

You could always write a post over there and alert the clowns.

As for the article, the parts of it that were understandable just seemed like another opinion blog post to me.

This is an excellent example how fake news are created if people without any knowledge about a certain topic mix up things they have found on the internet.
This article is completely wrong and has absolutely nothing to do with reality.
The pictures shown there are not from the Fujifilm film factory in Japan.
They are from the Fujifilm factory in Tilburg, Netherlands. And in the Tilburg factory film production was stopped already in 2008. There only some amateur color negative films exclusively for the European market were made. But never professional color negative films, color reversal films or BW films.
So the film production stop in that factory was and is completely irrelevant to current Fujifilm film production which is located in Japan.
The Fujifilm factory in Tilburg is now coating silver-halide photo paper (process RA-4) for the European markets.

And, extremely important:
This September the world's biggest photo fair took place - the Photokina in Cologne.
We've had a very nice meet-up there with several rff members. And we've visited the Fujifilm booth. Which was the best booth among all film manufacturers and companies of the silver-halide business. Almost half of the whole Fujifilm booth was dedicated to their film and silver-halide products: Instax, standard photo film, silver-halide papers (they introduced a complete new one with over 100 years lifespan), RA-4 minilab machines.
And Fujifilm made a strong commitment to film there. Not only for instax, but also for their standard films. It was presented both on a big wall and on flyers every visitor could pick up. Below you can see this flyer with the statement:

Attachments

• Commitment to Film from Fujifilm.jpg
    Commitment to Film from Fujifilm.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
Blah, blah, blah....I'm sure that we will see more and more discontinuations of film from Fuji in 2019. Their "commitment" to film is flimsy at best. A few shiny brochures do not change this fact. Look what good their "commitment" to film did to Acros.

From the picture posted by Skiff - only 6 emulsions left, down from 15 since 2010, quite miserable:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotohuisrovo/5042362476/
There is simply not enough demand to justify more.

It's a shame. I'd shoot the crap out of Natura 1600 and Neopan 400/1600 if Fuji still made them (and exported then to the UK). I realise I'm probably in a minority for demand of those though.

It'd be nice if Fuji gave Venus 800 a wider release... but then the pessimist in me says that stock is not long for this world.

It's a shame. I'd shoot the crap out of Natura 1600 and Neopan 400/1600 if Fuji still made them (and exported then to the UK). I realise I'm probably in a minority for demand of those though.

It'd be nice if Fuji gave Venus 800 a wider release... but then the pessimist in me says that stock is not long for this world.

Venus 800 has been discontinued.

I'd be there right with you shooting the hell out of Natura 1600. That is an amazing film, with shockingly beautiful colors. I discovered this film too late to shoot much of it and so lost out on its greatness for the most part. I have a brick of it in the freezer but that will be it once it is gone.

Fujifilm's dismal support of film photography has kept these gems hidden and as you said, not even available in many parts of the world. Truly awful.

I'm pretty sure not much can be done.

That is patently untrue. Anything can be sold to anyone with enough skill. A good product is worth using. How can people use film if they dont know about it?

No one is talking about Fujifilm getting film use to how it was back in the day. Those days are gone forever. But film can grow in use if it is marketed properly. Fujifilm does nothing to promote film aside from INSTAX film. They are VERY successful promoting that film. They do nothing to promote their other films. Then, when there are no sales, they claim no demand and then discontinue the emulsions. If they dont try, there will NEVER be sales to justify their films.

INSTAX is very different to "film" photography. It offers instant results, just like digital does, in an old-fashioned way. Youngters like it for the very reason.
Film has little* to no use today, appreciated mostly by us anoraks.

*some limited professional use / art media of choice

INSTAX is very different to "film" photography. It offers instant results, just like digital does, in an old-fashioned way. Youngters like it for the very reason.
Film has little* to no use today, appreciated mostly by us anoraks.

*some limited professional use / art media of choice

Film use is slowly increasing. Were it marketed better there would be more users, not less. There is no fact of science or economics that limits the use of film.

Are you sure about that? I mean think about the investment needed in order to gain a tiny bit more users. In the old days most folks shot a roll a year, at least this was the norm as I remember it. Now the same people use their smart phones. What marketing could persuade them to use the medium of the past?

Back