AI and Photography

I suppose that when (IF) AI creates the 'perfect' picture and writes a novel which becomes a classic, then we will all be redundant.

Magnus, Robot Fighter.... Great comic books. I have the first edition. Bought for 12 cents...

This stuff has been around forever. I just don't worry about it.

My pre-AI version was to ask the Mormon solicitors at the front door if god could create a stone he could not lift himself. Cheers, OtL
I just thank them for stopping by and assure them that my spiritual affairs are well in hand. As for AI, this is some little baby that has been born. What will it do?

I totally feel for the comment about "flogging a dead horse in multiple threads," but the fact is that this horse is just now beginning to come to life, and soon it will be pooping everywhere, so we might as well invest some intellectual effort in figuring out how to deal with this new form of horse poop before we're up to our eyebrows...

My thinking is that the big issue is NOT what photographers want to do or not do about it. Nobody's going to stop creating reality-based imagery if that's what we want to do.

The big issue is what viewers are going to want to look at on a large scale. Before online social sharing sites proliferated, people were interested in looking at photographs in glossy magazines. Before that, they were interested in looking at engravings and lithographs. Before that they were interested in paintings in churches, and before that they were interested in looking at sculptures in the agora (or fill in any alternative version of art history you like.) The point is that once a newer image medium came along, people en masse became less interested in looking at the previous media (although of course they never stopped entirely.)

We all like to think we are strong, self-sufficient people who create solely for the satisfaction of meeting our own lofty standards... but I suspect that in reality most of us hope that at least a few people, somewhere, like and respond to what we create. Once people stop being interested in looking at photography, are we going to be happy in a closed system where our only audience is ourselves and other photographers?

I totally feel for the comment about "flogging a dead horse in multiple threads," but the fact is that this horse is just now beginning to come to life, and soon it will be pooping everywhere, so we might as well invest some intellectual effort in figuring out how to deal with this new form of horse poop before we're up to our eyebrows...

My thinking is that the big issue is NOT what photographers want to do or not do about it. Nobody's going to stop creating reality-based imagery if that's what we want to do.

The big issue is what viewers are going to want to look at on a large scale. Before online social sharing sites proliferated, people were interested in looking at photographs in glossy magazines. Before that, they were interested in looking at engravings and lithographs. Before that they were interested in paintings in churches, and before that they were interested in looking at sculptures in the agora (or fill in any alternative version of art history you like.) The point is that once a newer image medium came along, people en masse became less interested in looking at the previous media (although of course they never stopped entirely.)

We all like to think we are strong, self-sufficient people who create solely for the satisfaction of meeting our own lofty standards... but I suspect that in reality most of us hope that at least a few people, somewhere, like and respond to what we create. Once people stop being interested in looking at photography, are we going to be happy in a closed system where our only audience is ourselves and other photographers?
I could live with that closed system, while still wishing it were otherwise. Those of us who are along in years can remember that before about 1970, this was pretty much how the discipline of photography as an art form was conducted.

I see a business opportunity to develop software to differentiate AI generated output from human generated material.

My Daughter's university is already employing software to analyze submissions for content.

My coding style has always been "Figure out how I figured out to so something, then write code to do the same thing". Do that long enough, and sometimes my code makes me really proud that it figured out something new.

This could also be the opening scene of 2001 when the black obelisk is discovered. We are agreed that it is significant, except for a naysayer, or two.

Regarding AI, maybe it would be better if we upped our Intelligence before we venture into Artificial Intelligence. ;o)

It was really a Connection Machine.
I worked at TMC - Thinking Machines Corporation in Cambridge and on the beautiful CM-5. I left the company shortly before they went belly-up.

AC93-0146-2_a.jpeg

It was quite the interesting organization - full of extremely bright people and an interesting company culture. My interview process - before being extended an offer - included 4-rounds and a total of 19 people. They were known for this.

I still have some marketing brochures and a black CM-5 t-shirt somewhere in the house.

Last edited:
Chat GPT use for film simulations:

I worked at TMC - Thinking Machines Corporation in Cambridge and on the beautiful CM-5. I left the company shortly before they went belly-up.

AC93-0146-2_a.jpeg

It was quite the interesting organization - full of extremely bright people and an interesting company culture. My interview process - before being extended an offer - included 4-rounds and a total of 19 people. They were known for this.

I still have some marketing brochures and a black CM-5 t-shirt somewhere in the house.

That was a terribly interesting architecture. I never got to play with one but enjoyed reading about it in papers. Just a little late for so many things :) and too broke for so many others (I _SO_ desperately wanted a NeXT Cube in 1990! ;) ) but emulation puts many of them on my desktop now. My Mathematica 3.0 license for Nextstep runs fine in the Previous emulator for example LOL!

That was a terribly interesting architecture. I never got to play with one but enjoyed reading about it in papers. Just a little late for so many things :) and too broke for so many others (I _SO_ desperately wanted a NeXT Cube in 1990! ;) ) but emulation puts many of them on my desktop now. My Mathematica 3.0 license for Nextstep runs fine in the Previous emulator for example LOL!
Yes I don’t think there are many (or any) connection machines operational now. Maybe some blinking LED light show simulations in museums.

I was doing engineering CM (configuration management) and had a very immersive experience in command line computing. Prior, I was using DEC VT220 Terminals and at TMC, thrust onto an X-Terminal/X Windows System and worked in a UNIX environment. I had to bone up on UNIX and ASCII text editors (vi and GNU Emacs) pretty quickly as that is how we edited our template forms. Very thankful for the O’Reilly books. They helped me a lot.

Also, some the engineers set up and wrote a program for VT220s to (after logging in to your account) deduct your cafeteria purchases from your next paycheck. Pretty cool stuff back then.

Last edited:
My first computer that I learned "inside-out" was the Texas Instruments Advanced Scientific Computer. It could handle 3-D arrays, manipulating sub-sets of the array, with a single vector instruction- basically collapse a three-deep loop into one instruction. For an FPGA based embedded system that I had built-to-spec, I had some of the vector instructions implemented in VHDL. Fast, really Fast- about 100 times more efficient than the original VHDL. We had a CM-5 at work, but by that time I had an Intel Sugarcube with 4 Array Processors.

Very thankful for the O’Reilly books. They helped me a lot.

<snip>

They saved my butt more than once and I still have all my O'Reilly's. And a real "greenie" with its weird Assembler and machine code hints, verbs and cues. And really getting off-topic, the IBM caution on things unwise: "Results are unpredictable." The guy in the cube next to you would just say, "Hey, man, no way! Don't do that!"

Last edited:
Chat GPT use for film simulations:

Think of the vast opportunities for color profiles. Imagine being able to do it with voice commands. "HAL, . . . " This really is like the opening of 2001, the obelisk and then the thigh bone. I may have to watch that movie tonight. Or maybe The Man Who Fell to Earth would be more appropriate, and then Blade Runner. Kubrik, Roeg and Scott.

Back