Amazing Bokeh and Resolution from a Helios 103!

Dingo

Well-known
Local time
6:43 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this. After finishing my DIY Kiev to M mount adaptor, it really opens a whole new world of Kiev Lenses with my M8! I tried a few lenses, most of them are 50s, I would say the Helios 103 pleases me most in terms of Bokeh and resolution.

These are part of my test shots : (All shots converted with LR, slight exposure and contrast adjustments, color saturation reduced a little.)

3635282578_23831ab5df_o.jpg

3632257802_b84764a450_o.jpg

3631443601_9c5ff35a35_o.jpg

Cropped shots to show resolution and bokeh :

3631443811_7ddb71a24c_o.jpg

3632258458_b45bde99dc_o.jpg

I can't imagine such a great performance from a very cheap lens, I suggest you get this lens ASAP!!!

Last edited:
this looks unbelievable - one of the most smoothest bookeh I have seen so far. Would you mind let us know at which aperture you did these photos?

would you have any film examples for us?

Last edited:
I have seen these sell for around UK £8 - on Ebay!...great bargain!
Dave.
PS....more threads like this....and the price will rise! :D

I really like the Helios 103 on my Kiev cameras. Hey, Dingo, how much would you charge me to make an M-mount adaptor? Please, oh please?

-Randy

Dingo, with your adapter, does the lens focus correctly at infinity as well?

Would you be willing to share your production process with us, or are you planning to sell these?

Quite a lot of questions to answer :

1. All shots were taken in f1.8, that's why I was so amazed by the resolution.

2. The adaptor gives accurate RF function (the adaptor takes a lot of adjustment to finish with the help of M8).

3. So far I don't have plan to mass prodcue it, but will consider since my summer holiday will be coming soon, he he!

I think this adaptor is a must buy item to M8 users, you can try get one in other sources (Ebxy, etc). I will try some portrait work later this week to see how good it works.

Dingo, I'm glad to hear that you're considering making some of these for those of us who are interested. I was serious about wanting one so please do let me know if you decide to make more.

Thanks,
Randy

Yet another reason to buy the new amadeo contax adapter...now listed on eBay with his custom helical...

Amedeo has taken his adapters to a whole new level recently! The new locking system for internal mounts is brilliant. Wonder if he can add a lever or something that would also allow you to select different framelines ...

Last edited:
Back