Amazing Bokeh and Resolution from a Helios 103!

Amedeo has taken his adapters to a whole new level recently! The new locking system for internal mounts is brilliant. Wonder if he can add a lever or something that would also allow you to select different framelines ...

yes that would be wonderfull. Or make 3 versions of the adapter! he reads this not of course :eek:

Kiev 4M, Helios 103, Orwo N75

49735963617_99e5c22331_b.jpg

49735635821_1ac07d89e1_b.jpg

There are some adapters on the auction site now that work pretty well. Can be had for various mounts of camera. I got one for Sony Alpha (NEX) and am pleased with it.

Kiev/Contax to NEX adapter by Carlos Yashinon, on Flickr

Just a caveat for people intending to use this kind of adapter. I bought one like this a few months back and decided to be careful when using it. It is potentially useful because like proper Contax lens mounts it has both the internal and external mounts (the latter for the longer lenses that have their own helicals). But when I mounted a Nikkor 135mm on it, it had a tendency to jam on the mount and was exceedingly difficult to remove - a Nikkor is physically no different in the mount to the Contax /Kiev etc so should normally not be a problem. After 20 minutes of fiddling and struggling I finally did get it off. As a result, I do not think I will mount a longer lens on the external mount again till I can understand which part of the adapter is off specification and may cause a problem again. It might be that the helical locking lever on the mount (the little boomerang shaped bar with a button on the end) was not completely engaged - I noticed that it did not engage in locked position easily and this looks like a QA issue. If so this possibly was sticking up higher than it should be and this resulted in it catching on something internally within the lens when it was mounted to the outer bayonet. If it was as I suspect, a QA problem, other adapters of this make / style may not have this issue though and it may be specific to my adapter (and any others that are not within spec).

But undaunted, I have ordered a Jupiter 8M (for Contax) which uses the internal mount and am hoping it will work better in the above regard. When it arrives (it's been delayed no doubt due to last month's corona virus issues though it was ordered before all that happened).

Back