an absolute statement

The accumulation of points and an exploration of the voids that separate them, in both space and over time … images of shape and form in their homeland the birthplace of geometry, trapped by the genius of photography into thin wafers, planes of reality, time held forever on the printed page. The incongruity of dimensions compressed, constrained yet still perceived … time and shape recognised as a reality of sorts, portrayed by shade and light, shadow and violent sunlight as a mirage of an alternative reality.

A surfeit of time … or more properly, the absence of urgency found in the idleness, the oppression, of the Hellenic summer promoting idle contention, speculation. The geometry of inconsequential things … the art of the ordinary, connected by lines of idle imagination, as did changeless constellations converging in ancient minds. The beauty of the ordinary, of the everyday, mapped-out by the camera into simple plan … here for others to unpack, be re-projected by other minds to new perceptions of the same instant, the same thin slice of time, re-projected onto endless realities.

... bit verbose at the moment, something I'm working on but it needs a good edit

Quite beautiful Stewart. And from a man who decries the looks of the M5.

The accumulation of points and an exploration of the voids that separate them, in both space and over time … images of shape and form in their homeland the birthplace of geometry, trapped by the genius of photography into thin wafers, planes of reality, time held forever on the printed page. The incongruity of dimensions compressed, constrained yet still perceived … time and shape recognised as a reality of sorts, portrayed by shade and light, shadow and violent sunlight as a mirage of an alternative reality.

A surfeit of time … or more properly, the absence of urgency found in the idleness, the oppression, of the Hellenic summer promoting idle contention, speculation. The geometry of inconsequential things … the art of the ordinary, connected by lines of idle imagination, as did changeless constellations converging in ancient minds. The beauty of the ordinary, of the everyday, mapped-out by the camera into simple plan … here for others to unpack, be re-projected by other minds to new perceptions of the same instant, the same thin slice of time, re-projected onto endless realities.

... bit verbose at the moment, something I'm working on but it needs a good edit

Sorry Stewart,

after treading this bit I completely missed the rest of your post while thinking it over, and liking it!

:D

Taking it with me today while out shooting, thanks!

+1 on your lovely prose, Stewart.

Photography is ideas - one mind to create, others to listen and interpret.

... thanks chaps, its the Preface for a portfolio I'm trying print at the moment, well more faffing with than printing ... it's been a work in progress for about three years now

I believe with composition you can create something out of nothing. I have seen magical power of seeing from members here that it's totally out of ordinary things. It drives me to keep trying to convey my own vision of the daily life.

Composition or framing?

In my limited knowledge, composing is putting things together to create something, with photography isn't it more about "framing" than composition?

Composition or framing?

In my limited knowledge, composing is putting things together to create something, with photography isn't it more about "framing" than composition?

No.

Where you stand, what you align, the height of the camera and the angle at which you hold it and the exposure and the development and a number of other things will all affect what is recorded within the frame. Composition it truly is.

Just my 2 cents, but I think any statement on art is futile. Even more in these days of consumer and digital society.

But anyway, I´ve always been on a very neantherthal side when it´s about art philosophies :)

No.

Where you stand, what you align, the height of the camera and the angle at which you hold it and the exposure and the development and a number of other things will all affect what is recorded within the frame. Composition it truly is.

I don't have an artistic background and in fact I cannot draw anything, so I wouldn't know. But when I look at some of the classic paintings, its mind boggling how the artist put everything just right, to me that is composition.

Maybe photography is more like framing a composition?

I don't have an artistic background and in fact I cannot draw anything, so I wouldn't know. But when I look at some of the classic paintings, its mind boggling how the artist put everything just right, to me that is composition.

Maybe photography is more like framing a composition?

When drawing or painting one chooses what to put in, when photographing one must choose what to leave out ... it's quite different

When drawing or painting one chooses what to put in, when photographing one must choose what to leave out ... it's quite different

Composing is putting stuff in the canvas; framing, leaving stuff outside.

So, when it comes to photography its framing?

They are different but one can choose to leave things in or out with either process (to degree).
What really makes them different is that drawing and painting are cumulative (you make one mark and then can decide what comes next based on that. But taking a photograph is instantaneous (it is all put together at once).

Composition, subject, etc. are dependent on perspective (where you point the camera) and timing (when you push the button), which is why the op's "absolute statement" has validity.

Composing is putting stuff in the canvas; framing, leaving stuff outside.

So, when it comes to photography its framing?

No with photography one is dealing with negative space, the creative drive is exclusive ... with painting or drawing it's a matter of including that which is needed to display ones concept to others

They are different but one can choose to leave things in or out with either process (to degree).
What really makes them different is that drawing and painting are cumulative (you make one mark and then can decide what comes next based on that. But taking a photograph is instantaneous (it is all put together at once).

Composition, subject, etc. are dependent on perspective (where you point the camera) and timing (when you push the button), which is why the op's "absolute statement" has validity.

Not really, I have a concept then work toward it, the concept is as instant as a photograph ... do you paint or draw btw?

... commercial artist for forty odd years myself

and...?

Look, you don't have to be a painter (or a photographer) to observe that in painting you put the marks down one at a time (and can make decisions & changes as you go), and in photography, you make them all at once (and finally).

Are you saying that you plan out every brush stroke in your head beforehand and then simply execute that plan?

Back