Leica LTM An Engraved Camera I Don't Actually Mind!

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Congratulations Vince - I like the provenance and / or imaginings engraving can elicit.

The story of a high quality camera and its life through many owners is something to be explored!

Depending on the engraving, I think it can be a positive as in your case, Vince. On the one hand, it adds to the pedigree. On the other hand, if it is decorative, and done well, it can be very nice. Engraving is embraced in a lot of other things in life (firearms, motorcycles, custom cars, lighters, knives, etc.).

I am not a collector, so I don't know squat about it. Doesn't even interest me. So, if I had a very well done engraved M-body, Barnack or R camera, it would be just fine form.

Guess I will never understand what it is about engraving that puts people off...I am just happy to have an M3 and IIIF to shoot!

Interesting camera and story, Vince.

I only have a Argus C-44 where someone has engraved their SS# on the back of the top housing. Very crude and ugly :(

This is an interesting engraving. What if "they" now want the camera back to the family as it may have vanished during WWII?

Personally, I am still waiting to see some really classy engraving. High-end fly rods like Bill Oyster's feature amazing engraving and fetch very high prices! Colt revolvers, shotguns, knives, and many other items have engraving that is to be cherished.

http://www.oysterbamboo.com/

Seems no one has actually done a Leica? Or at least posted anything other than names, ss numbers, etc.

That would be awesome. Then they turn out to be multi-millionaires, and they give you a million $ or so for your kindness! :D

Hopefully there wouldn't be a family feud between the German and Chilean contingent!

BTW no word from either of the people I contacted yesterday....I would have actually been surprised if I did hear from them!

Speaking of bad engravings, a few months ago when I was looking at Mamiya 6 & 7's on the 'bay there was a black one for sale that had "smiley" faces all over it (I forget if it was a 6 or a 7). And I don't mean CNC-milled, I mean shaky-handed scratchings, probably not even with a Dremel, just some kind of sharp tool (the sort of thing that should not be in the hands of someone who'd mutilate a camera, IMO)

I just could not imaging what woudl possess someone to do that to any camera, let alone something as expensive as that... weird...

Scott

Just picked up a lens for Helga -- it's a bit later than the body (think it's about 1946), but it's a pretty nice one, and it goes nicely with my silver SOOPD hood.

Helga4.jpg

Think this outfit's a keeper!

Pretty cool thread, Lupo. I guess the "where-has-this-been-and-what-has-it-seen" aspect of old shooters has always been part of their allure to me. I even get excited when I grab some flea market junker and it still has film in it! "Oh boy! Let's see what this guy was shooting!" I have two pre-war black Leicas that I bought out of Russia. Would love to know their history.

Keith gobbled up an interesting engraved Kiev from this thread in 2006. Wonder if he still has it? The link to it's photo no longer works, so he'd have to provide a current image.

Along similar lines, here's a thread, also from 2006 about old camera genealogy.

Thanks for sharing photos of the camera and the link to the article regarding the plane crash. It would be interesting to know if anyone ever has made a search for the plane since the modern day equipment could easily make it to that depth. Would love to hear if you receive any information from the inquires you sent out.

This is a really fascinating thread. I immediately started googling for traces of a cool history of my II but no such luck. Still, I love it to bits.

Is there any repository of significant/famous Barnacks?

Back