An exposure chart for your pocket!

Wiseguy, eh? :)

About being more accurate, only if they are used correctly. Meters can be fooled.

jgeenen said:
Pencils and paper are even cheaper, smaller, lighter, and don't need film.:cool:
Eyes and brains are bigger, heavier and usually more expensive, but then most of us tend to have them around anyway. ;)

Philipp

Before this thread progresses any further I need to remind everyone that I'm not attempting to take credit for Fred's charts ... I just wanted to share the useful format that I adapted them to. I know that none of you wonderful people have accused me of such ... you're too damned sensible to do that!

But ... I put the same post on P.net and guess what?

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Keith novak said:
Before this thread progresses any further I need to remind everyone that I'm not attempting to take credit for Fred's charts ... I just wanted to share the useful format that I adapted them to. I know that none of you wonderful people have accused me of such ... you're too damned sensible to do that!

But ... I put the same post on P.net and guess what?

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Sorry to hear, Keith, that someone on another forum misunderstood your intentions. I, for one, appreciate that you posted your modified version and plan to print it out and use it. So, thanks!

-Randy

FrankS said:
Here's the chart that I've been using:

I like that Frank ... just the bare essentials ... but I don't see 'Tony's Bar' anywhere? :)

Keith novak said:
Before this thread progresses any further I need to remind everyone that I'm not attempting to take credit for Fred's charts ...

When I posted my little chart version the first time, one RFFer warned me about copywrite. I don't think in this case it's an issue. For one, who went to Fred's site as a result of this thread? Two, Fred's info isn't the formula for cold fusion, it's commonly known--or at least, I'm sure it exists in other sources. What Fred did was put it into a comprehensive and relatively simple form, which Keith then simplified further. I can only imagine that Fred would be happy that people are propogating his main idea...a person's brain as a good light meter!

thanks Keith
doug

dreilly said:
When I posted my little chart version the first time, one RFFer warned me about copywrite. I don't think in this case it's an issue. For one, who went to Fred's site as a result of this thread? Two, Fred's info isn't the formula for cold fusion, it's commonly known--or at least, I'm sure it exists in other sources. What Fred did was put it into a comprehensive and relatively simple form, which Keith then simplified further. I can only imagine that Fred would be happy that people are propogating his main idea...a person's brain as a good light meter!

thanks Keith
doug

When I put the same post on P.net, as I mentioned, the reactions were very different to this forum. A couple of posts not so subtley suggested I was giving Fred Parker no credit for being the originator of the tables but as was pointed out here, he didn't invent the 'sunny sixteen rule' and all I was doing was converting them into an abbreviated pocket sized format and really wanted others to benefit. A lot of people have had me send them the jpegs and I'll happily keep doing that as long as anyone wants them!

A quick visit to to P.net this morning was interesting ... they have deleted my post so obviously a little copywrite paranoia exists over there! I guess it represents their generally uptight attitude ... when my subscription renewal comes around for their forum I suspect I will be letting it lapse! :)

With all due respect, I did look at the first post in this thread and saw no reference at all to Fred Parker's materials. It seems to have come later, which is better than nothing, but...

I do think it would have been proper to credit him there. I have my own spreadsheet I use to calculate various settings that incorporates some of his stuff (along with some other info), but I don't make it public.

Ed

What's with the cheat.sheets? joe told me I had to memorize this stuff before he'd let me join RFF. Didn't you guys?
(Very helpful tool indeed, Keith.)

ebolton said:
With all due respect, I did look at the first post in this thread and saw no reference at all to Fred Parker's materials. It seems to have come later, which is better than nothing, but...

I do think it would have been proper to credit him there. I have my own spreadsheet I use to calculate various settings that incorporates some of his stuff (along with some other info), but I don't make it public.

Ed

Yes Ed ... in hindsight I wish I had mentioned it now and if you check you'll find I have added it to the original post as a ps ... but I don't really regard offering it to RFF'ers as making it public though! Plus his website, with a link, has been mentioned many times in various threads in the short period I have been a member here.

Someone directed me to his website a long time ago and I actually sent him a couple of emails but never received any replies. His site is very inspiring when you are just starting in photography... as I was then! :)

Last edited:
No worries, Keith! It's not like you are profitting from sharing Fred's chart, and it's not like Fred made this up, he simply compiled this data which is empirical fact/knowledge.

FrankS said:
No worries, Keith! It's not like you are profitting from sharing Fred's chart, and it's not like Fred made this up, he simply compiled this data which is empirical fact/knowledge.

Thanks Frank ... like you my Budhist tendencies require that I go through life treading on as few toes as possible! :D

Back