An exposure chart for your pocket!

HERE is a link to an older thread with some exposure charts if someone's interested...

Fred's page seems to be the inspiration for most of us :)

A pretty, young woman asks "Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" The RFF member says somewhat dejectedly "No, it's my exposure chart." End of story.

Keith novak said:
Yes Ed ... in hindsight I wish I had mentioned it now and if you check you'll find I have added it to the original post as a ps ... but I don't really regard offering it to RFF'ers as making it public though! Plus his website, with a link, has been mentioned many times in various threads in the short period I have been a member here.

Someone directed me to his website a long time ago and I actually sent him a couple of emails but never received any replies. His site is very inspiring when you are just starting in photography... as I was then! :)

Keith, you don't need to explain yourself :)
Your motives are pure and simple. Those who chose to take issues with it, have issues themselves.

I can't believe reading your post today. It's just yesterday that I found Fred's website. Awesome website, btw!

I was kinda in a different situation yesterday because I was trying to calculate how to best use the 1/40s shutter speed of my Oly 35 Trip with the different apertures (yes, I know it's supposed to be used with a flash, but color me weird!).

Since Fred's table uses the EV numbers, it makes all sense in the world!
Thanks for putting it in my pocket ;)
... now if only I can get this zone-focusing technique in my brain... :bang:

Just in time. I am taking panoramas of Times Square tonight and I was trying to remember what I had learned 30 years ago about brightly lit night exposures. I wasn't doing too well. Thanks.

I did times square at night using the chart. The contrast is extremely high. Signs were ok if I used "8: but the rest of the scene was black. I found detail if I lowered the contrast in the processing software although it was not pretty. My guess is that a 7 might be safer, although safest might be to bracket and combine in Photoshop.

Huck Finn said:
I've posted this in the past, so here it is again - another option for a pocket photo guide, The Harris Photoguide for Xisting Light. Robert Harris uses a wheel sytem to pack a lot of information into a small space.

www.harrisphotos.com/BetterPhot.html

If you rummage around used book stores or ask at older photo shops you can often find:

"Photographers Handbook: Life Library of Photography", a 64-page spiral bound notebook

and:

"Kodak Professional Photoguide" , a 5x7 spiral notebook running around 40 pages that came out in several editions over the years.

Both books are dirt-cheap now and have exposure charts and tons of other photo reference information.

Might I recommend the tiny and accurate slide-rule Exposure Mat?
I've used it for a couple of weeks after stumbling upon it, and it works great. It seems smaller than the original tables posted on this thread, but to each his own.

http://expomat.tripod.com/

Interesting thread, i found it when i was about to ask if anyone had idea about exposing superia 1600, i was goin for 1/60 f5.6 for brightly lit indoors at night. There isn't a lot of differences, what i do is to know well how to expose an iso 400 or 100 and estimate other speeds +/- stops.

for example from 100 to 200 + 1 stop..etc.

Edit:
Agh! I read Fred Parker's site a little too fast and that was what confused me. I'm still confused on definitions of weak and hard shadows though and I couldn't find any information on this on his website.

Last edited:
nk. said:
I'm slightly confused after reading the ultimate exposure chart. So each is it half/double each aperature for each stop? For example, the series of stops is 2,4,8,16,32 with intermediate values of 1.4,2.8,5.6,11,22 or is each step a stop? It seems like each step (1.4->2, 2->2.8, etc.) is a change of one stop, but I'm not sure. Could someone with a little bit more knowledge please clarify?

Also, could someone provide an explanation/example of a hard shadows vs. weak shadow? I'm assuming if the edges of the shadow are fuzzy, this is considered a weak shadow.

Thanks.

Hi there ... did you follow the link provided in the first post to Fred Parker's site ... there's a lot of good info there.

Cheers ... Keith :)

nk. said:
Edit:
Agh! I read Fred Parker's site a little too fast and that was what confused me. I'm still confused on definitions of weak and hard shadows though and I couldn't find any information on this on his website.

Hard shadows have well-defined edges; weak shadows sort of fuzz out from light to dark.

Last edited:
Thanks for this Keith, i had been so busy with all the gadgets, menus, buttons and knobs on my previous cameras, that i'd quite forgotten the sunny 16 rule when it came to using my newly accquired CL without a cell. :)

tburke said:
Might I recommend the tiny and accurate slide-rule Exposure Mat?
I've used it for a couple of weeks after stumbling upon it, and it works great. It seems smaller than the original tables posted on this thread, but to each his own.

http://expomat.tripod.com/

Tim, I discovered this little beauty a few weeks ago. I've already printed them out a few times. Gave one to a friend who is completely new to the "It's all manual!"-thing.

Not as extensive as the oultimate exposure meter charts, but easy enough to carry around and accurate enough for the amateur photographer like me.

Keith said:
Before this thread progresses any further I need to remind everyone that I'm not attempting to take credit for Fred's charts ... I just wanted to share the useful format that I adapted them to. I know that none of you wonderful people have accused me of such ... you're too damned sensible to do that!

But ... I put the same post on P.net and guess what?

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Hi Keith,

I knew there was a reason I did not visit P.net that often!

This beats my poor effort at a similar thing, will pm you for the files.

REgards

Brendan

Back