another bag thread! haters keep out...

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
2:44 PM
do you use one bag most of the time or do you have several sizes/styles for different types of outings?

so, smaller bags for a camera, lens or 2...bigger bags for when the kitchen sink needs to come along?
or what about when you want the ipad in there too?

I have a big one for when I need lots of things, and a small one when I need only a few things; I guess this is how just about everybody would go on about these things.

i have small, medium and large.
two for when i want the ipad along, one for everything (both rf/dslr kits)
also plain and fancy...just not too fancy.

I have a large one, and a backpack with a couple of camera inlays that I use for trekking (good place here with the mountains). Then a small bag or two, but those aren't really dedicated camera bags, I just drop a camera in there when I feel like taking one and not lugging the big bag.

I guess I have two medium bags; one canvas for casual and one leather for dressed.
Thinking of getting something really small for summer, like M3 + standard + short tele.

Frances and I have several (try 20-30, maybe more). Mostly I use just a small Billingham, though we have several (we bought our first maybe 30 years ago), and Frances uses mostly a Slingshot or a Vanguard sling bag. We also use Tenba and several others. There is no such thing as a universal bag. Look on our site for a bag book, akin to our tripod book, in our e-books in a month or two.

But we never store cameras in bags.

Cheers,

R.

For lot of gear (read - full 4x5 setup with 4 lenses, tripod and 10 holders) I use a medium sized backpack from Photobackpacker (and also his great lens case)

For the rest I mostly use the messenger from Courierware (very light and durable, but practically no padding) which is large enough to hold Mamiya 6 with 3 lenses, bottle of water and all those bits and pieces.

Depending on how my 'camera situation' will develop I may get some smaller bag in the future (read - an M body with 2-3 lenses or just a compact medium format with 1 lens or some EVIL stuff).

I have already though of some kind of tablet PC, but there really are not too many bags that can carry one and not too bulky (usually too much padding). The ThinkTank Retrospective 5 is nice, but fitting iPad (seen a video) is too tight.

the tt retro5 does not hold an ipad without so much hassle that it's not worth the bother. the 10 holds an ipad easily but is much bigger.

i have a real love/hate with the retro bags.

I'm an addictive bag buyer. This is my favorite, and my preferred size:
http://duluthpack.com/school-campus/backpacks-bags/messenger-shoulder-bags/field-satchel.html
What I like about this one is that it has lots of pockets and dividers--film, hoods, etc, all separate. A big divider down the middle to keep some things from smashing together. It's not a camera bag, and in general I don't like bags with assigned places for things. I rely on individual containers for lenses--sock tops with one end sewed shut, or heavy-duty freezer zip bags, and throw it all in together, along with, often, a book and my lunch, so regular divided bags don't suit me well.

I don't usually carry a lot of stuff--at most two bodies and four lenses, and more often one body and two or three lenses, so space isn't a problem. If I have a lot, I bring two bags to distribute the weight.

When I was a news photographer, cameras and lenses went on one side, and flash equipment on the other, and I didn't have to carry the flash gear all the time, anyway--it often stayed in the car.

manbagaholic

i have two. a floppy little one that's the usual. if i'm going somewhere with a lot of gear, i'll use the A&A bag with all the foam inserts. usually, i just try to be careful.

I'm an addictive bag buyer. This is my favorite, and my preferred size:
http://duluthpack.com/school-campus/backpacks-bags/messenger-shoulder-bags/field-satchel.html
What I like about this one is that it has lots of pockets and dividers--film, hoods, etc, all separate. A big divider down the middle to keep some things from smashing together. It's not a camera bag, and in general I don't like bags with assigned places for things. I rely on individual containers for lenses--sock tops with one end sewed shut, or heavy-duty freezer zip bags, and throw it all in together, along with, often, a book and my lunch, so regular divided bags don't suit me well.

I don't usually carry a lot of stuff--at most two bodies and four lenses, and more often one body and two or three lenses, so space isn't a problem. If I have a lot, I bring two bags to distribute the weight.

When I was a news photographer, cameras and lenses went on one side, and flash equipment on the other, and I didn't have to carry the flash gear all the time, anyway--it often stayed in the car.

pricey at 130 bucks but it does look good.
can an ipad fit into it as well?

i use a little case logic padded case for a zuiko 28/2.8, 2-3 rolls of film, lens cloth in a film canister, little lens cleaner spray bottle, a little brush for dust, and sometimes my weston master six meter and incident dome for weird light. the om-1n with zuiko 50/1.8 hangs free.

i use this same case logic case to tote the x100, lens shade, lens cloth, lens spray and little brush. when i get a spare battery and spare card, they can go in a little zippered hidey hole that is part of case lid. talk about yer ultra-lightweight kit.

I really don't like using bags when I'm street shooting, just me and a camera/lens combo. I do however use bags extensively for my racing photography, which involves DSLRs, and for that I normally use Lowepro or Crumpler backpacks. I have a variety, from very "small and minimal" to "humungo and heavy".

Two small soft shoulder bags... One just for a RF- type body, one I can stuff a DSLR into. Really just for a body with one prime lens... Also serve as my man purse and goes with me whenever I leave the house.

Two medium shoulder bags... For when I need more stuff. Used mostly for a DSLR and a coulple of lenses or off-camera strobe. One of these is a Domke and I need to sell it but I never seem to get around to it.

I just ordered a Tenba Mini Messenger Bag today... Should be useful for carrying my X100 and soon to arrive X-Pro 1 together... Also has room for my iPad... This will be an everyday bag soon.

One small photo backpack for travel

One large rolling case for work... This is big and really takes a beating.

A tripod bag and a couple of long bags for lighting gear.

Domke f-5xb (2)
Domke F-10
Domke F-6 (2)
Domke F-2
Domke 803 satchel
Lowepro Nova 1 (2)
Lowepro Photo trekker
Lowepro 200 AW backpack
Tamrac 706 convertible
Tamrac pro 10
Tamrac pro 8

Yeah, I guess you could say I use different bags for different amounts of gear.
Big black Tenba bag

I've been thinking of getting a backpack for a while, but haven't gotten around to deciding which one. I mean, I have a few regular backpacks but a specifically photo one, where I can hold m8, nex, several lenses, laptop... Largely for travel. Any recommendations?

I usually use a Tarmac for 1 camera plus lens, or a domke for 2 cameras plus extra lens.

Back