Ansel Adams Postage Stamps

titrisol

Bottom Feeder
Local time
5:39 PM
USPS announced that a set of stamps with 16 iconic images of Ansel Adams will be launched in 2024
Date for launch is not yet set

ansel-adams.png

Something a bit painful in this, seeing his exquisite large format images reduced to the size of postage stamps.
Agreed, but not as bad as seeing his images on a Hill's Brothers coffee can back in the late Sixties. Of course, those are now "collectibles", and worth a small fortune.

Somehow the D&D imagery seems more appropriate... Ah well, could be worse. At least our postage isn't as fugly as our coinage.

Agreed, but not as bad as seeing his images on a Hill's Brothers coffee can back in the late Sixties. Of course, those are now "collectibles", and worth a small fortune.
No Way! You're right! I never knew this. Well I'll be...

My parents were Italian and drank Italian espresso and Maxwell House coffee so I missed out on this collectible.

One of Ansel Adams’s first jobs was with the concessions firm in Yosemite National Park making photographs designed to draw more visitors. In the 1960s, a market for art photography did not exist, and Adams supported himself by selling as many prints as possible, working for companies like Kodak and occasionally with firms like Hills Brothers Coffee. The company was one of the largest coffee sellers in the United States when they requested Adams’s Winter Morning, Yosemite Valley, California for their coffee cans. Adams saw commercial ventures like this one as a way to get his photography into more people’s hands.

Very cool indeed. But also kind of ironic for the consummate large format photographer, no? Think they capture all the correct zones on those little suckers?

Back