Any Exakta enthusiasts here?

Local time
12:18 AM
These days I don't spend much on cameras, just the occasional oldie that interests me - and is within 'pocket money' price range!. About twenty five years ago I had an old Exakta with a 50 Tessar, and after getting used to it's peculiarities did some nice work - especially candids and street with the waist level finder, I was not even put off too much by the non auto-return mirror.
Back to the present!....now I have the chance of a very nice looking 'Varex 11a' (the earlier one - with name in script) for a very reasonable slice of my pocket money. This one though - has a 50mm f3.5 'Primotar', a lens that I am not familiar with....I believe from Meyer ?, and the question is - how would this perform, especially in view of my fond memories of the Tessar?. I suppose if it was poor, I could look around for a Zeiss 'Pancolor' - (another favourite of my youth!) :)
Cheers, Dave.

Dave, my first serious camera in 1956 was an Exakta VXlla which I absolutely adored in spite of all its quirkiness. Long story short, I replaced it with an Exakta Varex VX within the last year in wonderful condition. I had it CLA/d and it is like new. I have only had one Meyer lens, a Domiplan in 50mm that was just barely adequate but in my Photo Club sessions I did see many slides taken with the 50/3.5 Primotar and they were very sharp with great color. Hope this helps. Currently I have a 50/3.5 and a 50/2.8 Tessar which are super lenses.

It's a pretty camera. Unfortunately, mine has a wrinkled and holy curtain. Biotar f2 normal lens, and the wide angle pictured. It was a garage sale find.

Attachments

• funky (Medium).jpg
    funky (Medium).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello! I read somewhere that the Primotar is a Tessar type - seems to have been Meyer's trade mark for that lens type.

I have an old Exacta in a ziplock bag in pieces. I thought it would be fun to take apart and try to repair. I still have it and the Zeiss Tessar lens, a 3.5 I think. I'll have to dig around to find it, but if you'll send me a PM with your address I'll send you any or all of this stuff, free of charge and welcome to it.
Vic

Dear Dave,

'Enthusiast' is rating it too highly but they're quite fun and can deliver astonishingly good results. My IIa has a Biotar (I think -- 58/2, anyway) which is a focal length I've always liked.

Cheers,

R.

I have an old Exacta in a ziplock bag in pieces. I thought it would be fun to take apart and try to repair. I still have it and the Zeiss Tessar lens, a 3.5 I think. I'll have to dig around to find it, but if you'll send me a PM with your address I'll send you any or all of this stuff, free of charge and welcome to it.
Vic
.....that's extremely kind Vic - PM sent!

and re. Rogers post - the Biotar seems to be the preferred std. lens, and just one comment about the Primotar yet, but I'm going ahead with deal.
Dave.

Last edited:
I have a VX that works but needs a CLA (squeaks a lot when used); has the 58mm Biotar. Bought Upton's book to DIY the CLA. Both have been in storage for the past year since we're moving overseas and put almost all our belongs in a container last year, but once I have some free time and we're settled in I hope to give it a proper restoration.

Funny that you initiated this thread, as I was going to start one on the very same subject.

I've been using Exaktas since I was 12 years old (32 years total), so you could say that I have a special devotion to them. My favourite model is the VX Version 1 -- it does not have the detachable back like the Varex (or V), it has that beautifully curved advance lever, and you don't have to hold a button down to rewind the film as on a VXIIa (though I must say that the 'embossed' versions of the VXIIa's are quite pretty).

I have several Exaktas, many of which are in outstanding condition (VX Version 1, Varex VX, VXIIa, Pre-War Kine Exakta I Version 4, Exakta II version 1). My most recent Exakta acquisition was an Exakta V (Varex) with the original box, beautiful everready case, Schneider Xenon lens, and waist-level finder for $50.00, and it's all in beautiful shape. Plus, my good friend Frank Marshman (Camera Wiz) just did a CLA on it, and it's ready to go.

My favourite lenses for the Exakta include the 35/2.8 Schneider Curtagon, the 55/1.9 Steinheil Auto-Quinon, the 100/2.8 Meyer Trioplan, and of course the 75/1.5 Zeiss Biotar (just got mine back from Frank, and it's a real jewel).

Admittedly, these are not speed cameras. But I think that can be a good thing -- it makes you a more thoughtful photographer!

As well, it can be a bit tough to find a good one --invariably, the shutter curtains will either have wrinkles or pinholes. But once you find a good one, you will be rewarded with outstanding imagery.

Exaktas were THE SLR system of the 1950's (reportedly, there were more lenses made for Exaktas than any other camera system). Unfortunately they didn't keep up with the times, and companies like Nikon, Pentax and Canon passed them by in the 1960's.

I'll try to do a few shots of some of my Exaktas, as well as a few photos taken with them. I've actually been fortunate enough to use my Exakta II (Version 1) in Dresden - that was pretty magical.

BTW, does anyone know if they still hold an Exakta 'conference' in the Netherlands?

Last edited:
Lucky guy Vince! I wanted one so many years ago but couldn't afford it so I made do with a Zenit 3M and Helios lens instead. I really like the Zeiss lenses but have never been able to find that legendary 75mm Biotar.

Hopefully I shall collect mine tomorrow (Wednesday) :)......in an earlier post I mentioned Ebay dealer in Czech Republic - 'Gold Camera' who always had many Exakta and Zeiss items, does anyone know if he is still trading? :confused:...and how I can contact him?

The Exa is okay, depending on the model. The early ones only had 4 shutter speeds + Bulb, and you were limited in terms of the lenses you could use. But it is a cute little camera!

The Exa is okay, depending on the model. The early ones only had 4 shutter speeds + Bulb, and you were limited in terms of the lenses you could use. But it is a cute little camera!

Cute, yes.

Usable... um...

I've had a couple. They're interesting, especially the 'stick shift' model, but I can't say I regret selling them.

Cheers,

R.

Back