Any news of Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

FUJINON

Local time
10:40 AM
Has anybody heard from Roger Hicks.
His last posting was on the 8th September 2017.
Rather puzzling ?.
He is usually rather active on the Forum.

Maybe it wasnt Roger, but I vaguely remember being some drama a while back that someone who was a major contributor got banned or something happened that someone threw in the towel and left. I thought there was a petition to bring someone back... All those posts do seem to disappear though.

Well as soon as someone says something that the powers don’t like.....it gets deleted.
train set ownership and all that nonsense.
I try my best not to use forums these days other than as a resource.

Well as soon as someone says something that the powers don’t like.....it gets deleted.
train set ownership and all that nonsense.
I try my best not to use forums these days other than a resource.

I've found many of my posts deleted, that were just tech questions asked or answered, in very friendly terms. No arguments at all on the thread. I go looking for the post to extend it or correct the question in order to be more clear and, it's gone.. along with others of mine and those belonging to others posting on the topic. No politics, no arguments, just an exchange of info and they are deleted.

I really don't get it but, it's had it's effect on my participation here. I PMed one Mod I know and he confirmed the deletions but, had no idea as to why it happened. So, who knows..

I've found many of my posts deleted, that were just tech questions asked or answered, in very friendly terms. No arguments at all on the thread. I go looking for the post to extend it or correct the question in order to be more clear and, it's gone.. along with others of mine and those belonging to others posting on the topic. No politics, no arguments, just an exchange of info and they are deleted.

I really don't get it but, it's had it's effect on my participation here. I PMed one Mod I know and he confirmed the deletions but, had no idea as to why it happened. So, who knows..

it doesn’t take a lot to upset some ;)

if you have posts deleted and don’t know why...i would ask stephen about it directly.
as the owner of the forum i believe he views deleting posts/threads as a last resort.
there is no way any one person can keep track
of every post or action of a moderator.

It's been a source of frustration for me on occasions I'll admit and has definitely affected my own input here.

When I could delete a comment I posted more. I would re-read some of them and, if I had a glass or two of wine it sometimes affected what I would say. I simply don’t post as much any more. My wine consumption has gone down as well!

I’ve had it here and elsewhere but sadly thats how it is. There are old school prefects in life that enjoy their moment a little too much. All you need is a mod that’s not impartial and doesn’t agree with what someone writes and that’s that.
I got banned from the Rolex forum for not liking a mod’s choice of watch. I wasn’t rude but he didn’t like my honesty and that was that. Sad loss really as I did enjoy the which gucci loafers suit which watch threads and the show us your ‘louis vuitton’ fan boy posts. The world is truly a mysterious place to be in ;)

as a mod on another forum (unrelated to RFF) I have taken part in behind the door discussions about banning and post deletion. In my case there is quite often a heated discussion about who and what to ban. Do mod's take some things personal... you bet they do and sometimes it builds up to an irrational decision. The mod discussion normally results in not banning nor deleting of posts and sometimes it goes the other way.

Internal moderator discussion forum can be useful in that regard...

The deletion of threads is most often when the OP deletes their post, in that case the thread disappears, there is nowhere for the subsequent posts to go once the root is severed. This is hugely annoying, has been discussed here a lot (I can't remember what the outcome was), and mostly occurs when a new member asks a question. Once they get their answer they presumable 'close' the thread, i.e. it's answered (other platforms allow you to close an answered thread), but here the thread disappears.

Back on topic, I had wondered where Roger was, but I see he is still posting on his site - it looks like I have to go there to check now, I became accustomed to his updates being presented and discussed here. Maybe they still will be, the latest posts seem a little more carefree and less thought provoking IMO.

I suspect I'm partly responsible for his exit. A couple months ago I challenged his propensity to constantly direct the RFF audience to his blog, rather than share his thoughts within RFF. This led to several critical posts against him, in particular about posting non-photography related content. It seemed that he vanished right after that thread.

John

I’ve had it here and elsewhere but sadly thats how it is. There are old school prefects in life that enjoy their moment a little too much. All you need is a mod that’s not impartial and doesn’t agree with what someone writes and that’s that.
I got banned from the Rolex forum for not liking a mod’s choice of watch. I wasn’t rude but he didn’t like my honesty and that was that. Sad loss really as I did enjoy the which gucci loafers suit which watch threads and the show us your ‘louis vuitton’ fan boy posts. The world is truly a mysterious place to be in ;)

I'm not a fancy watch guy, a plastic Casio and old $60 Seiko are what I use. But, have always found people who care about such things interesting. I found the forum and will do some fun reading I expect. Any pointers?

On the fancy watch topic: If you travel to sketchy places, foreign or domestic, with a lot of expensive camera gear, don't ware a fancy watch. I don't think I need to say more..

The thing about Roger for me personally is that even though he can annoy me occasionally I place real value on his presence here because we need balance otherwise it can really become a banal place. There have been some noteable curmudgeons here over the years and almost invariably they seem to be driven away by the conservatism I notice more and more. Others may not agree but I really miss those individuals because that's what they were ... individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back