Any news of Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roger’s words were one of the best things on this site. There were countless gems in his in-depth site articles. His leaving creates a gap that has not been filled.

I find it really disconcerting how many RFF people have the gall to scorn and outright slur Mr Roger Hicks, of all things in a thread where the question just was, where he is.

Someone asked where he was and the replies came in and it soon transpired he’d been told to wind his neck in, he couldn’t take that friendly advice and left. He may be a nice person when you meet him but the way he spoke to some here was at times incredibly condescending and behaviour that would not be tolerated by anyone in a social situation and more importantly given out by R.Hicks himself. The internet is a great place for some to be brave and rude but sooner or later you get called on it. He was called out and chose to start on another bunch it seems. He was allowed a longer rope than most I’ve seen upset people in the past.
If you had been here a little longer then you’d understand what I and others are talking about.

Someone asked where he was and the replies came in and it soon transpired he’d been told to wind his neck in, he couldn’t take that friendly advice and left. He may be a nice person when you meet him but the way he spoke to some here was at times incredibly condescending and behaviour that would not be tolerated by anyone in a social situation and more importantly given out by R.Hicks himself. The internet is a great place for some to be brave and rude but sooner or later you get called on it. He was called out and chose to start on another bunch it seems. He was allowed a longer rope than most I’ve seen upset people in the past.
If you had been here a little longer then you’d understand what I and others are talking about.

Are you sure you are not mistaken Rogie the Softie with Rookie the Angry Photographer?
Roger was always adequate with me. Just like any Russian who likes Vodka.
But for people who doesn't know what Vodka is it looks rough. :D

Are you sure you are not mistaken Rogie the Softie with Rookie the Angry Photographer?
Roger was always adequate with me. Just like any Russian who likes Vodka.
But for people who doesn't know what Vodka is it looks rough. :D

He was always ‘adequate’ as you put it with me but I’ve seen a lot of his short put down replies to people who didn’t deserve them. As I’ve said above I wish him well doing similar elsewhere but to those defending this behaviour I would counter that internet bullying has a lot to answer for and in no way should it be tolerated by anyone. Just because you have some kind of internet prescence and reverance misplaced or deserved on a forum does not give you a right to verbally abuse others. If you look the other way then you are complicit in that behaviour.

He was always ‘adequate’ as you put it with me but I’ve seen a lot of his short put down replies to people who didn’t deserve them. As I’ve said above I wish him well doing similar elsewhere but to those defending this behaviour I would counter that internet bullying has a lot to answer for and in no way should it be tolerated by anyone. Just because you have some kind of internet prescence and reverance misplaced or deserved on a forum does not give you a right to verbally abuse others. If you look the other way then you are complicit in that behaviour.

I really, really missing something here. Are you talking about Roger? To me Roger is old school, old good pub guy. I guess, these days it is foo-foo. Latte and Likes days...

Here here. What the world needs are more passive sycophants.

Well, not so fast please …

Just a couple of weeks before or just the same time when Roger stopped posting here, a couple of other people, also having priceless knowledge, stopped posting here.

To name but a few:
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Last Post:
Digital Yashica
10-04-2017 17:58

rick oleson
Ancient Wizard
Last Post:
Kodak Retina I, shutter accidentally detached from the focusing
05-29-2017 15:04

Educate me, please: What was THEIR reason to stop posting here?

(Before someone is going to try spinning a story: None of the aforementioned had any quarrel with Roger. The reason must be something ELSE.)

RFF is not the same place it once was, even when I joined. Over the last year I've noticed more and more RFF members joining and contributing to other photography forums that I frequent.

Just my observation.

I met him at home in France last year, and he could not have been more friendly and hospitable to a stranger who'd turned up unannounced on his doorstep. He and Francis proffered food and wine, and we burned up a happy hour of his time talking cameras and publishing. Roger is an eccentric - I think he'd be rather pleased to hear himself as such - but came across to me as a nice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back