Any news of Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve not participated in this inquiry (which looks more and more like a forensic inquest) so far, but here is something to consider about the intellectual and critical health of the forum:

among the people who agreed to play host for one or another of the “Coffee with Mentors” threads, who have been the steadiest contributors? I count two in my time here: Bill, and Roger. You can differentiate them by their approaches to the role and by presentational style, but unlike some “mentors” each has contributed thoughtfully and reliably. (I am not by the way inviting detractors-in-waiting to pounce on any other RFF “mentor” for whatever ad hominem reason by this comparison.) What does RFF gain when critical complaints of a very few about the style or substance of one of these quite reliable writers and thinkers effectually shut down the resource they offer?

Maybe the “Coffee with Mentors” approach sets up most of its appointees with an impossible task to fulfill month after month; maybe it will not be part of the new RFF; but when we have photography writers as experienced and critically incisive as Roger and Bill, why not let each play the mentor role as each sees fit?

RFF has few photography writers as interesting, stylish, personable, varied as Roger at his best. It’s a less interesting forum without his engaged presence, whatever the terms of engagement may be.

I’ve not participated in this inquiry (which looks more and more like a forensic inquest) so far, but here is something to consider about the intellectual and critical health of the forum:

among the people who agreed to play host for one or another of the “Coffee with Mentors” threads, who have been the steadiest contributors? I count two in my time here: Bill, and Roger. You can differentiate them by their approaches to the role and by presentational style, but unlike some “mentors” each has contributed thoughtfully and reliably. (I am not by the way inviting detractors-in-waiting to pounce on any other RFF “mentor” for whatever ad hominem reason by this comparison.) What does RFF gain when critical complaints of a very few about the style or substance of one of these quite reliable writers and thinkers effectually shut down the resource they offer?

Maybe the “Coffee with Mentors” approach sets up most of its appointees with an impossible task to fulfill month after month; maybe it will not be part of the new RFF; but when we have photography writers as experienced and critically incisive as Roger and Bill, why not let each play the mentor role as each sees fit?

RFF has few photography writers as interesting, stylish, personable, varied as Roger at his best. It’s a less interesting forum without his engaged presence, whatever the terms of engagement may be.

Nicely put!

Rob

The majority is in favor. Let us embrace Roger's whining about Brexit and how much it's going to cost him, and lest we forget, his insights on assisted suicide. We'll take his bullying of other contributors on the side -that's just Roger. And if you don't like what you read, just don't read it! The 100% happy formula.

Or, maybe, if you don't like what you read make a cogent argument about why. Sort of like, I dunno, having a discussion.

Rob

The majority is in favor. Let us embrace Roger's whining about Brexit and how much it's going to cost him, and lest we forget, his insights on assisted suicide. We'll take his bullying of other contributors on the side -that's just Roger. And if you don't like what you read, just don't read it! The 100% happy formula.

I'm sure most people come to this forum to read and take part in discussions about photography, therefore a post about Brexit or whatever wouldn't interest them. Hence they wouldn't read it, so there's no problem. Alternatively, they are interested enough to read it and either like, dislike or have no opinion about the piece. Again, there's no problem.

I can't see how that is any different to picking up a newspaper or magazine and skipping over an article.

Even if you are in some way 'offended' by written words that you don't agree with, is that any reason to suggest the author is not welcome here?

Ridiculous.

One of the principal reasons I have remained a member of the RFF are the posts by Roger.

His posts, by a large degree more than any others, have stimulated, enlightened, educated and challenged me… and they always engaged me in thought-provoking ways that others, for the most part, have not.

To not have him on the forum, for whatever reason, diminishes it immeasurably.

I can't see how that is any different to picking up a newspaper or magazine and skipping over an article.
How would you feel if you picked up a photography magazine and it was filled with articles on politics, food, knitting, model trains, health and beauty, etc.? You might question whether it was in fact a photography magazine. You might just skip over those articles, or you might decide to find a magazine that was devoted to photography.

How would you feel if you picked up a photography magazine and it was filled with articles on politics, food, knitting, model trains, health and beauty, etc.? You might question whether it was in fact a photography magazine. You might just skip over those articles, or you might decide to find a magazine that was devoted to photography.

Such exaggerated hypotheticals don't really help your argument.

Whatever this forum may be I have yet to discover another one that has the overall balance that RFF provides. Generally polite and informative with plenty of choices for all no matter what you gear preferences may be. :)

The biggest loss to this forum in my time here to date has been Al Kaplan when he passed away.

Whatever this forum may be I have yet to discover another one that has the overall balance that RFF provides. Generally polite and informative with plenty of choices for all no matter what you gear preferences may be. :)

BIG yes to that, Keith.

The biggest loss to this forum in my time here to date has been Al Kaplan when he passed away.

and Tom....:-(

folks,

Roger has always been a bit contrarian. I like that about him, to a point.

He took it upon himself not to participate at RFF when told his recent style of merely linking back to an article on his website was deemed no longer acceptable and not really participating at RFF.

While Roger's photography contributions can be outstanding,
he needs to stop merely lazily linking back to his own site without posting and participating with his articles at RFF.
Or, leave his articles out of the mix, and just post.

Stephen

The forum wasn't "filled" with political stuff. One guy pisses you off and the world is filled with piss, somehow that just won't fly.

Roger is going strong here:
Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/cost-of-printing.135312/#sGy2QJPc4IdKljLL.99

Roger Hicks
Profile Page
Member Since: Nov 15, 2008 Messages: 10,632 Likes Received: 2,161
Roger Hicks was last seen: Yesterday at 10:38 PM

I particularly like the forum tag: Well-Known Member ;)

I had a look to see if anything was different over there.

In his last 50 posts, only one was related to photography.

And it's nice to see that he has lost none of his charm:

"You’re entitled to your view but if you’re going to insult the views of others you shouldn’t be surprised if they dismiss your views as ranting."

Dear Andrew,
Unless, of course, they are REALLY STUPID views.
Cheers,
R.
Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...-ridiculous.135273/page-2#T05SQQVyoFEjLkzU.99

Yes to all that .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back