Any news of Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I particularly like the forum tag: Well-Known Member ;)

Lot of online forums have a 'ranking system' for members. They're assigned ranks like "newbie," "Experienced," "Well known," "Forum God," etc.

Some base it on how many posts you have. The more you post, the higher you rank. Some base it on how many members have liked your posts; a function that RFF's forums don't have.

Lot of online forums have a 'ranking system' for members. They're assigned ranks like "newbie," "Experienced," "Well known," "Forum God," etc.

Some base it on how many posts you have. The more you post, the higher you rank. Some base it on how many members have liked your posts; a function that RFF's forums don't have.

The word 'Member' has more than one definition, and I think one of those definitions was what he was alluding to - hence the wink at the end.

I could be wrong, but that was how I read it.

John

Roger (...) took it upon himself not to participate at RFF when told his recent style of merely linking back to an article on his website was deemed no longer acceptable and not really participating at RFF.

While Roger's photography contributions can be outstanding,
he needs to stop merely lazily linking back to his own site without posting and participating with his articles at RFF.
Or, leave his articles out of the mix, and just post.

I noticed this 'change in style' of Roger's postings and I can see why you don't agree with it.

Nevertheless I think it's a loss for the RFF; I often enjoyed Roger's talent to stir up a controversy.

I also do not share the opinion stated by several members that the RFF should be about photography and nothing but photography in a stricter sense. If a thread somehow verges into philosophy, politics, sociology or whatever, discussions sometimes get really interesting. And if they don't, I just stop reading - no harm done, IMO.

folks,

Roger has always been a bit contrarian. I like that about him, to a point.

He took it upon himself not to participate at RFF when told his recent style of merely linking back to an article on his website was deemed no longer acceptable and not really participating at RFF.

he needs to stop merely lazily linking back to his own site without posting and participating with his articles at RFF.

Stephen

totally agree with Stephen. Linking to his site is poor form imo and just trying to drive clicks to his site, without contributing to this forum.

I also don't mind occasional stray topics but it would be good if people posted OT or NF (non photography) in the subject header. Other forums do this so people can skip over without needing to open the post.

Members come and go and I believe that's healthy for the community otherwise RFF becomes an echo chamber and thus, stale.

I also don't mind occasional stray topics but it would be good if people posted OT or NF (non photography) in the subject header. Other forums do this so people can skip over without needing to open the post.

Perhaps a "Totally Off-Topic" section could be a part of whatever shape the new RFF takes? Most other forums indeed already have such a section. Some have very strict rules there (no politics or religion, for example), and some have almost no rules at all. If nothing else, it makes for a good section to ignore when not in the mood for random off-topic chatter. I don't come here to read about UBI or Brexit either.

folks,

Roger has always been a bit contrarian. I like that about him, to a point.

He took it upon himself not to participate at RFF when told his recent style of merely linking back to an article on his website was deemed no longer acceptable and not really participating at RFF.

Stephen

Yes, he can be contrarian with other people. I don't mind that from him or any others. I have a pretty thick skin. Reasonably respectfully done, it is what makes for good conversation.

Unfortunately, I fear he does not share that thick skin and having others post views that are contrary to his views.

Nonetheless, I hope as before, he will one day return. I enjoy most of his posts.

Perhaps a "Totally Off-Topic" section could be a part of whatever shape the new RFF takes? Most other forums indeed already have such a section. Some have very strict rules there (no politics or religion, for example), and some have almost no rules at all. If nothing else, it makes for a good section to ignore when not in the mood for random off-topic chatter. I don't come here to read about UBI or Brexit either.

While you are correct that some sites do that, I really like RFF as it is. Anything that I might think I miss here at RFF, if I really want it, I will go to one of the sites that does allow way, way, off-topic posts.

To me, RFF seems one of the most congenial sites, with still a lot of photographic information. In my time here, I have seen topics not related to photography, and as long as the forum rules are not dashed to pieces, they are left intact. What's not to like?

and other forums I frequent (non photo) have decided NOT to have OT subfora. I like to stumble across an interesting OT post now and then but will not go searching for it elsewhere (sure one can set up their profile settings to show newest posts but that's another issue).

If Roger doesn't come back, life will go on and perhaps he's relishing people clamouring for his return and thus stroke his ego at the same time ;)

While you are correct that some sites do that, I really like RFF as it is. Anything that I might think I miss here at RFF, if I really want it, I will go to one of the sites that does allow way, way, off-topic posts.

To me, RFF seems one of the most congenial sites, with still a lot of photographic information. In my time here, I have seen topics not related to photography, and as long as the forum rules are not dashed to pieces, they are left intact. What's not to like?

I like and joined RFF for the sake of rich technical information regarding RF cameras. There are members like sevo, wolves3012, 02Pilot, xayraa33 and mooge (and some others) who are very knowledgeable and/or handy in helping others with camera problems and/or give DIY inspirations. RFF has been a great help to me since 2010 when I barely spoke any English.

I'm not a good learner of photography. Usually I admire the mood and tone in a photo rather than the subjects/content/hidden message/captions.

With regards to the 'Off Topic' nature of some of his, and others, posts I'd have to suggest its a very healthy thing for a photography forum. Photography needn't just be about the equipment we use but equally the very subjects, topics and events that our cameras enable us to communicate our reactions, thoughts and feelings about.

Perhaps some may wish for a firmer structure in which this can happen, fair enough, but I hope there is no real advocation for restricting topics of conversation. If people can't play nicely there are already methods to address that, if you don't like the topic you possess the power to move on. Accidently clicking onto a discussion that isn't what you thought or wanted isn't a real problem despite the fact our lives are far too short and way too busy.
Sometimes you discover something interesting.... this coming from a man who hasn't used a fountain pen since Primary school and yet now has a slightly higher inclination towards them. You may or may not know what I'm talking about depending on what threads you click on :)

As to Roger, I hope he reappears at some point. Perhaps a rest is as good as a change, to reverse the popular saying.

Last edited:
Yes, life will go on, and I believe it is too short to stroke others' egos.

and other forums I frequent (non photo) have decided NOT to have OT subfora. I like to stumble across an interesting OT post now and then but will not go searching for it elsewhere (sure one can set up their profile settings to show newest posts but that's another issue).

If Roger doesn't come back, life will go and perhaps he'd relish people clamouring for his return and thus stroke his ego at the same time ;)

A comment to a mail some pages back:

I have enjoyed RH`s writings on the last page of AP as well as here, precisely because here he writes about the world that we all are interested in,and at times photograph, and not just limits himself to write about technology or aesthetics.

I wish him well.

p.

Must admit I used to just ignore him as someone who liked to put other people down but couldn’t take it himself. Thought of as some photo forum wise man by some including himself and sadly he has shown his egocentricity to be his remembered quality by many.
I wish him well wherever he chooses to pontificate.

I find it really disconcerting how many RFF people have the gall to scorn and outright slur Mr Roger Hicks, of all things in a thread where the question just was, where he is.

Roger's knowledge was a great asset for RFF. Sometimes he could be a little tough in the web but having met him more times in Arles I can say he's a nice person, of course with his own opinions, and very ready to help others.
I hope one day he will come back here.
robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back