Any news of Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a colorful character, and that doesn't always translate to the digital realm. But damned if the world isn't a duller place without colorful characters.

Roger's return

Roger's return

I hope he returns too. I like his writing style, have found him extremely helpful in the occasional personal e-mail, enjoys his articles, and have never found his views controversial actually.

The only thing I blame him for is introducing me to Leicas in the first place; he's cost me a fortune ever since I read something in one of his books along the lines of...

'if shooting in nightclubs exercise discretion, preferably in conjunction with a Leica M and 35/1.4 Summilux.'

That combination has been my favourite free-range kit ever since; don't really know why I have bought and sold so many other lenses and bodies!

Tom

He's a colorful character, and that doesn't always translate to the digital realm. But damned if the world isn't a duller place without colorful characters.

This sums up my feelings entirely and I hope Roger and Frances recover from this difficult period and that Roger will see fit to continue to post here in his usual abrasive, opinionated and stimulating manner.

This sums up my feelings entirely and I hope Roger and Frances recover from this difficult period and that Roger will see fit to continue to post here in his usual abrasive, opinionated and stimulating manner.

+1

It feels a bit boring around here without Roger.

It is a good article. It's a shame he wouldn't confine himself to photography related posts here on RFF.

There are about a hundred different sub-sections on RFF which cover every aspect of photography. Surely it's not a big deal if a contributor posts a non-photographic article every once in a while?

Besides, the more photography one does, the more it's obvious that having a broad and curious mind is essential (except maybe if you do nothing but product shots of toothpaste packaging). So it could be argued there's no such thing as 'off topic' on a photography forum.

If it makes a few people think or feel, then it's feeding their photographic minds.

Besides, the more photography one does, the more it's obvious that having a broad and curious mind is essential (except maybe if you do nothing but product shots of toothpaste packaging). So it could be argued there's no such thing as 'off topic' on a photography forum.

If it makes a few people think or feel, then it's feeding their photographic minds.

Why bother with a photography forum then? Just surf the web, go for a walk, watch the news, gaze at the stars to get inspiration.

Being on rangefinderforum does not limit us access to the outside world.
It is an enthusiast site for a purpose, but we are (hopefully) still of free mind and spirit to venture elsewhere.

I think post deletions were disabled recently, mainly because of threads disappearing due to the OP deleting their first post.

Hope it was changed so. I remember new member starting a thread to get some answers for his doubts, but he worded the title so that thread got good conversation going also outside the exact questions. It was all in realm of photography, but watching it for a while OP asked mods to lock the thread because it has gone off topic. After receiving an answer that he could delete it himself, entire thread simply vanished leaving participants out in the cold.

What I've read of Roger's writings I've quite enjoyed. He has fluid style that sometimes makes me wish he'd kept going. I rather imagine he's also something of an engaging raconteur. It's the "garrulous old mentor" shtick that can irritate.
Yes, we know he doesn't like the M5. Yes, we know he doesn't care for TLRs. So don't bother chiming in.

As to any political content, if it offends me I stop reading. Just like television really, if I'm upset by the language or nudity in Game of Thrones (fat chance!) I can change the channel or turn it off.

We come here for the photography, but we also come here because we enjoy the company of the other forum members. Naturally, when you share an enthusiasm for one topic you like to share your ideas on other topics with the same people as well. It’s a pity that some forum members think it’s their job to police what can and cannot be talked about. If you don’t like the conversation, then don’t join in.

Let me rephrase. If you don't like the conversation, you have the option to not join in. No one is telling you not to join in. Let people police themselves and allow the forum to be free from pedantry.

Why bother with a photography forum then? Just surf the web, go for a walk, watch the news, gaze at the stars to get inspiration.

Being on rangefinderforum does not limit us access to the outside world.
It is an enthusiast site for a purpose, but we are (hopefully) still of free mind and spirit to venture elsewhere.

I'm not suggesting a forum with a broad range of topics limits us from experiencing the outside world. I'm not sure how you interpreted my post as suggesting that.

What I'm saying is that in the world of online forums it's not a good thing to limit the topics to a very narrow band. It means that nothing outside of the core topic can be discussed with the same group of people, and everyone would be forced to create separate accounts on different forums for everything they're interested in. Someone with a curious mind and a broad range of hobbies could end up having to post on a hundred different forums.

I think an 'off-topic' or 'general topics' section is a great addition to a forum. As far as I'm aware, Roger always posted his non-photography articles in his own section, so he should have been allowed to post whatever he liked, assuming he didn't break any of the rules we all have to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back