Any news on the new Plustek 120 scanner?

Don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, but given that Plustek has resumed shipping OpticFilm 120 units (see news release here: http://plustek.com/usa/news/press-releases/opticfilm-120-update-5/14/13.html), I thought I'd ask any current owners (I own one) or prospective buyers this question:

Would you feel better about purchasing this unit if Plustek included a resolution target with it, so that you could check the optical performance and have uniform method of comparing it to other users or a reference scan?

Just a thought that's rolling around my head...

--Greg

Don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, but given that Plustek has resumed shipping OpticFilm 120 units (see news release here: http://plustek.com/usa/news/press-releases/opticfilm-120-update-5/14/13.html), I thought I'd ask any current owners (I own one) or prospective buyers this question:

Would you feel better about purchasing this unit if Plustek included a resolution target with it, so that you could check the optical performance and have uniform method of comparing it to other users or a reference scan?

Just a thought that's rolling around my head...

--Greg

Greg, guess that will never happen. These companies wouldn't want to make things more complicated for themselves.

Plustek should have checked their first batches better and i surely hope that they have adapted their quality control by now because that was surely lacking in case of the optical performance.

I just used some of my own films as "target" because i knew that they were super sharp. A good indication can also be got from dust or small defectives on the emulsion side of the film.

Right...you know your films are sharp, and you seem happy with your scanner (you seem to have gotten a good one). But the scanner I received just didn't seem right, but nothing obvious.

Without my resolution target, I wouldn't have been able to confirm that the scanner wasn't up to spec. In fact, when I sent plustek some sample scans of film, they replied that there was not a problem. It wasn't until I was able to send them scans from a resolution target in comparison to a known-good target (from an online review of the 120), as well as slanted-edge MTF results, did they agree that there was a problem.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

--Greg

Agree that's a very sound idea to do some testing with the Opticfilm 120 when you got one. There were too many problems in the first production batches regarding this focus issue.

They solved it for me by sending a new scanner and i had to wait 1 week longer because they (Plustek Germany) first wanted to test it before sending it off :)

Hope Plustek solved this quality issue by now but better be sure then sorry !

Back