Any news on the new Plustek 120 scanner?

I hope it will be a robust and well made machine rather than a cheap one. Otherwise there will soon be no decent low priced scans for 120 films soon (I can get scans at a lab made with the 9000 for about 1 Euro per 6x6 image and the quality is incomparable to flatbed scanners). We really need a good quality replacement for the 9000 even if the price will not allow each 120 shooter to get one. Of course - automatic film transport is a must if this scanner should be used by labs.

I am indeed curios ...

^ Are the epson flatbeds that bad? I can imagine for 35mm but 120 film?

The Epsons are quite good. For versatility. From 35mm to 8x10- can't go wrong. I've had mine for years and it doesn't miss a beat but I don't use it for prints.

I hope it will be a robust and well made machine rather than a cheap one. Otherwise there will soon be no decent low priced scans for 120 films soon (I can get scans at a lab made with the 9000 for about 1 Euro per 6x6 image and the quality is incomparable to flatbed scanners). We really need a good quality replacement for the 9000 even if the price will not allow each 120 shooter to get one. Of course - automatic film transport is a must if this scanner should be used by labs.

I am indeed curios ...

Here is what I can tell you at this point:

A lot of the input from members of this forum and the Leica form was taken into consideration by our product management team during the final stages of development. The product manager for the scanner is an avid photographer... FILM photographer that is. So I'm confident that the product is in good hands.

It is a scanner that is targeted to the pro and serious amateur. It is not a scanner targeted to the casual photographer. Cheap it won't be!

Stay tuned for more info!

Mark, It's nice to have you contributing.
A quality medium format scanner on the market will be a good thing for us film shooters (and I hope for Plustek). I, like others, have a Nikon 8000 and cross my fingers every time I start it.

Here is what I can tell you at this point:

A lot of the input from members of this forum and the Leica form was taken into consideration by our product management team during the final stages of development. The product manager for the scanner is an avid photographer... FILM photographer that is. So I'm confident that the product is in good hands.

It is a scanner that is targeted to the pro and serious amateur. It is not a scanner targeted to the casual photographer. Cheap it won't be!

Stay tuned for more info!

Sounds very promising!

Any idea on what the pricerange will be ( 500-1000-1500-2000 $ / € / £ ) and will it be released in Europe also after the US release?

I am sure Mark can not answer the first part of your question, but I do hope that Plustek will take the European market seriously (sellers/service centers)

Mark - we are looking forward.

Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.

^ Are the epson flatbeds that bad? I can imagine for 35mm but 120 film?

Personally, I think if the V700 with 6x6 film is not good enough for you, then a full-frame professional DSLR won't be either. You've got to get the right kit though, the BetterScanning kit transforms the quality in my opinion. And whilst I've never used a Nikon 9000, and I'm sure it's great, some examples on the net don't seem too much different to a V700 used correctly.

Also, I think scanning at 6400dpi and downsampling to 3200dpi can make a difference. There is certainly a knack to it.

Any idea on what the pricerange will be ( 500-1000-1500-2000 $ / € / £ ) and will it be released in Europe also after the US release?

Pricing has not been set (at least in the US) but it will probably be similar to the Pacific Image and Reflecta. I'm not sure if the US or Europe will launch the scanner first.

Also, we DO NOT have a launch date set. So my comment "Hey who told you..." Should have been "How come YOU know and I don't?" Because at this point I just don't exactly know when the scanners will be available.

I am sure Mark can not answer the first part of your question, but I do hope that Plustek will take the European market seriously (sellers/service centers)

Mark - we are looking forward.

While I am not directly involved with the European market, I know that Plustek Europe takes the film scanner market VERY seriously.

Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.

Can anyone point me to some tests or images of the Pacific Image/Reflecta? There are some reviews on the B&H site, but some of the reviews are a little suspect.

Back