Any news on the new Plustek 120 scanner?

It's been posted on RFF before. Reflecta MF5000 test (german):

http://www.filmscanner.info/ReflectaMF5000.html

In short, a 'Nikon Coolscan 9000 killer' it is not. Fast, 3000dpi effective resolution, manual transport.

I'll bet many $$$ that Plustek will be VERY similar to Reflecta MF5000 (it's the same with Reflecta vs Plustek small format scanners).

It's been posted on RFF before. Reflecta MF5000 test (german):

http://www.filmscanner.info/ReflectaMF5000.html

In short, a 'Nikon Coolscan 9000 killer' it is not. Fast, 3000dpi effective resolution, manual transport.

I'll bet many $$$ that Plustek will be VERY similar to Reflecta MF5000 (it's the same with Reflecta vs Plustek small format scanners).

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Plustek doesn't relabel other manufacturers scanners. On the other hand, we do manufacture scanners for other vendors.

I would imagine that asian markets would be the among the most important. MF film appears to be very strong there.

It's great to hear that a new scanner is coming to market. Definitely watching.

I'll join the chorus: I'm very glad to hear that Plustek intends to launch a new MF scanner. That's excellent news, and I'm anxious to learn more. Well done, Plustek!

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Plustek doesn't relabel other manufacturers scanners. On the other hand, we do manufacture scanners for other vendors.

Plustek's small format scanners are not better or cheaper than Reflecta's (the only other manufaturer). Both are producing scanners that are not better (I'd say they are inferior, but that is just my opinion) than scanners that are now 10 years old.

Two manufacturers that produce scanners that are so close in price and capabilities 10 years after 'big boys' left the market, IMHO means that not much R&D goes into this and that both manufacturers use readily available parts (sensors, optics) that are cheap enough to meet the price.

So, I don't expect Plustek to build a much better MF scanner than Reflecta (optically). And I wouldn't expect it from Reflecta, if Plustek was the first to introduce it's MF scanner.

And yes, I REALLY hope that I'm wrong and it's certainly good news that Plustek is bringing it's MF scanner to market.

Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.

I think it's hard to argue that they're ''too late''. We're not talking iPhones here. I don't think anyone was queing for hours to be the first to get the Reflecta scanner. It's also not like their product is a novelty. Good scanners have been around for decades. Whether or not the Plustek sells will depend entirely on how well it performs and/or how it is priced in relation to the Reflecta.

Also, obviously every potential buyer would like this to be dirt cheap and perform like a Flextight X5. But that's just not going to happen. The market for film scanners is still somewhat limted so even if they priced it low they probably wouldn't make up for it in volume.

This is a niche market but there is a big hole from when Nikon left. If Plustek can use common parts from their 35mm scanner they should be able to keep the price low. Their 35mm scanner is quite good.

Plustek's small format scanners are not better or cheaper than Reflecta's (the only other manufaturer). Both are producing scanners that are not better (I'd say they are inferior, but that is just my opinion) than scanners that are now 10 years old.

Two manufacturers that produce scanners that are so close in price and capabilities 10 years after 'big boys' left the market, IMHO means that not much R&D goes into this and that both manufacturers use readily available parts (sensors, optics) that are cheap enough to meet the price.

So, I don't expect Plustek to build a much better MF scanner than Reflecta (optically). And I wouldn't expect it from Reflecta, if Plustek was the first to introduce it's MF scanner.

And yes, I REALLY hope that I'm wrong and it's certainly good news that Plustek is bringing it's MF scanner to market.

Good points! Thanks for the clarification.

I do know that there are some components of the new product that were chosen to meet quality requirements rather than pricing demands... up to a certain point that is! This isn't going to be a $12,000 scanner so component price must enter the equation.

I am currently using a Reflecta Pro Scan 7200 with a native resolution of 3600 dpi. The real resolution of the scamner as tested by filmscannerinfo is not too far off. I honestly am getting much better scans than with my previous Nikon L5000, perhaps not in resolution, which is quite similar, but in terms of color reproduction and accuracy. Eventhough Plustek scanners are generally producing much lower resolution than advertised, usually just about half, however, I do believe this new generation of cheaply built and priced scanners is better or at least equal to the better built previous generation from Nikon and Minolta.

Is anyone here scanning for commercial purposes? For example: Running a service bureau or photo lab?

If so, please send me a PM.

Personally I think you're to late for that segment as the PI/Reflecta is already out, and appears to be working just fine. Unless you're planning to release a MF scanner with significantly higher resolution/dMax.

What I think the market want/need, is a non-flatbed MF scanner at a reasonable price.
I disagree. With medium and even large format cameras being sold by old pros or retirees or... the prices have become increasingly affordable. On the other hand, the megapixel race is in full swing and if you're looking at the next latest and greatest a mf scanner for roughly the same price that delivers far more in pixel count and dynamic range with the nostalgia of film means some people will be willing to spend some money on this stuff. Some people don't see any problem at all spending $200 on a phone with a 2 year, $2k total commitment so they can just turn around in 2 years and buy the next model and be in fashion. A scanner will pay for itself if you shoot enough.

So, it must have auto-feed. No commercial scanning outfit would purchase a scanner that must be advanced by hand.

I don't use my 9000ED much because I'm unable to replace it. Of course, repairs and spare parts are available...for now. This new scanner looks promising. Even with the same resolution as the 7600, but improved DMax..it would be a winner.

Any word about this now that CES is here? I haven't seen anything new online other that different copies of the press release.

I'm trying to learn when we start to see beta test samples from the product manager. Specs won't be released until the beta test units are ready to be delivered.

I am looking forward to this scanner and to seeing the scan samples. Most important for me is color accuracy, scanning speed and per pixel sharpness.

Mark,

Any comments on supplied software? Silverfast and/or Vuescan or something else?

I'm trying to learn when we start to see beta test samples from the product manager. Specs won't be released until the beta test units are ready to be delivered.

Anerjee, I can't release any specs until we make the formal announcement. Sorry. This is killing me as much as it is killing you guys!

Back