Any news on the new Plustek 120 scanner?

I think the dealmaker for a 135 or 120 scanner going forward is not IQ, but rather the ability to scan a whole uncut roll of film automatically. It doesn't seem like this would be too difficult to implement.

IQ for Plustek's 7600-series products seems pretty good, comparable to Nikon for 1/5th the price. My impression is that for marginally better scans, the cost factor goes WAY up to Imacon levels. I'd say that, for those few frames that you want to print big, it makes more sense to send it out for best quality scans. This might be a dozen frames a year.

I think the dealmaker for a 135 or 120 scanner going forward is not IQ, but rather the ability to scan a whole uncut roll of film automatically.
I doubt that there's that big of a demand for that. The deal maker is speed of the entire scanning process of all of the formats involved.

I doubt that there's that big of a demand for that. The deal maker is speed of the entire scanning process of all of the formats involved.

I would say that coolscan 5000 and 9000 are a good gauge to compare to if one has in mind the usage by a lab. In 35mm a scan of uncut roll was provided for, but it seems that it was not necessary for 120.

Anerjee, I can't release any specs until we make the formal announcement. Sorry. This is killing me as much as it is killing you guys!

OK, enough with the excuses... Put on your Tux, do the car show thing and hire some good looking female models and get on with it.

Look forward to what you have to say.

This link was tweeted by @PlustekScanners on Feb. 1: http://t.co/5MIfDCFH

If you don't read German (I don't), you can use Google Translate.

Highlights include:
* Low noise CCD sensor
* 10660 dpi!
* Multi-Exposure and iSRD
* Includes Silverfast Ai Studio IT8
* Date and costs are not yet determined.

Well - let's see. Apart form the scanning resolution (a joke, right?) it all sounds good. Curios about the price and performance - but I guess we have to wait a little longer.

Mark - please keep us informed.

Laut Hersteller soll eine aus acht Schichten bestehende Speziallinse die hohe digitale Auflösung von 10.660 dpi voll ausnutzen und damit feinste Details in den Vorlagen auch im digitalen Abbild sichtbar werden lassen.

Hmm, they say it uses a 8 layer lens to achieve this high resolution with low noise. Will be presented at the next CeBit. I believe that's a German tech show.

I'm very curious to see if it'll be better than my Nikon 9000ED...

Can't wait to see some solid figures/specs for this - it's a gorgeous looking unit!

Plustek_OF120_resize-700x697.jpg

Last week I met with our CTO. The product direction was changed about a year ago based on customer feedback and feedback from members this forum and a few others.

One thing you will notice if you see some of the older photos of this scanner (see Plustek's Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Plustek-Technology/169691449783876) is the new design features a completely different loading strategy than the original design. Yes an autofeeder.

The CTO was clear that he has very high design goals for this scanner. There was a lot of emphasis on image quality, lens and sensor design. Unfortunately, the sensor we were going to use was recently discontinued after a large photographic company sold off its sensor division. A suitable replacement was found but the delay cost us about 5 months. I'm not sure about the resolution stated in the CeBIT press release, but my colleagues in Germany are usually quite accurate!

Keep watching our Twitter, Google + and Facebook pages. I'll be posting info as I get it.

I am very concerned about focusing.
A high resolution scanner for 120 film does need some kind of focus adjustment. Automatic if possible, manual if not; but it absolutely needs to be there.
A nice plus would be special carriers for wet mounting (as accessories to be purchased separately).

I'd also love to see 6x12 support (Nikon 8000 and 9000 stop at 6x9).

The best of luck with your new product, Plustek!

Fernando

Last week I met with our CTO. The product direction was changed about a year ago based on customer feedback and feedback from members this forum and a few others.

One thing you will notice if you see some of the older photos of this scanner (see Plustek's Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Plustek-Technology/169691449783876) is the new design features a completely different loading strategy than the original design. Yes an autofeeder.

The CTO was clear that he has very high design goals for this scanner. There was a lot of emphasis on image quality, lens and sensor design. Unfortunately, the sensor we were going to use was recently discontinued after a large photographic company sold off its sensor division. A suitable replacement was found but the delay cost us about 5 months. I'm not sure about the resolution stated in the CeBIT press release, but my colleagues in Germany are usually quite accurate!

Keep watching our Twitter, Google + and Facebook pages. I'll be posting info as I get it.

I literally can't wait. Would love to know when it's going to be available though!

I'd just like to chime in; I, too, just CANNOT wait. After my 8000ED croaked (after only 50 rolls or so of 120), and Nikon told me they couldn't fix it due to lack of parts––yes, 8000ED is now officially EOL/unsupported––I've been looking for something to replace it with. 8000ED is out of the question, and 9000ED, esp. with recent hikes in the used prices, is likewise. Consider me a customer if this thing come in with specs that at least compete with 9000ED at a sub-2K price range.

Back