Any recent Contax T2 repair avaiability info please?

F456

Tom H
Local time
11:57 PM
Not sure if a T2 counts as part of this forum as Zeiss Contax name evokes older photography such as Ansel Adams...

About to pull the trigger on a black Contax T2 set. Seller v reputable and have had good lens purchases and accessories before (Leica).

The Contax from tjhe many photos supplied looks little used and is apparently all functioning correctly. Years ago I had one when they were a new item and eventually the motor got sluggish on lens extension/retraction so I moved it on.

Can good repairs still be carried out if needed? Many thanks.

Tom

Maybe some RFF members will share some useful info, but I just recently sold my T2 exactly because of the lack of repair availability. It worked well, with no issues and I used it for about 10 years, but the thought that it can "brick" any day forced me to part with it. I miss the quality of high end P&S (I have also sold Rollei 35 AFM for the same reason), but I am quite reluctant to invest in a 500-1000$ worth camera with no clear service perspectives.

Thank you, Valdas and Jan - I checked over the phone with the dealer to hear all functions were working. Even the flash - he blinded himself testing it so I could hear from his reaction that it worked!

Will decide how sparingly to use it - without some use I feel it's not worth having at all! Can you remind me one thing? I seem to remember there was something unusual about the film winding mechanism. Does it advance the entire film before starting to expose frame by frame and rewind it as you shoot? I.e. the other way round from usual in other cameras.

Many thanks,

Tom

Thank you, Valdas and Jan - I checked over the phone with the dealer to hear all functions were working. Even the flash - he blinded himself testing it so I could hear from his reaction that it worked!

Will decide how sparingly to use it - without some use I feel it's not worth having at all! Can you remind me one thing? I seem to remember there was something unusual about the film winding mechanism. Does it advance the entire film before starting to expose frame by frame and rewind it as you shoot? I.e. the other way round from usual in other cameras.

Many thanks,

Tom

My T2 was the normal winding. I think Fuji Tiara rewinds the roll and starts from another end :)
Maybe you've heard something about one tooth vs two - which, I think, is relevant to T3 (wears out and needs repair).
I had no issue with my T2 maybe with the exception of pre-focusing (focus lock). Sometimes I could not "lock it" before re-composing - I was pressing too much and I had unintended shot or I re-compose and and notice that the focus was actually not locked and moved to a new point. Therefore I was using quite often the manual focus feature, which is very nice on T2 because it gives you the focus confirmation light while turning the manual focusing ring.

Back