Anyone able to contact Don Golberg DAG Camera?

dnp

Local time
12:23 AM
Hi Folks,

I've been trying to get ahold of Don to check on the status of a camera repair, but he hasn't responded to emails and his number either rings without a message machine or is busy. Has anyone been in contact with him? Should I be worried? Any info appreciated,
-Dan, Northern California

Nah...it's fine. From what I understand he's pretty busy. When he had my M3 for 3 months for a CLA, I emailed and called numerous times without response. He's just on his own time I think.

His work is always excellent, however. Don't be worried.

Ah ok - understood :) I really appreciate the quick responses. 7 months?? Good lord. I'll need to retrieve my stuff if it looks like it'll go past the 3month mark :-/ I hear his work is meticulous and worth the wait, though my show is coming up and I needs me cam back soonish.

Have a great day everyone, and happy shooting!
-Dan

I tend to forget that my M3 is an antique, it's just been so reliable and available when I've needed it. Like a pair of worn jeans you always reach for... Though none of my jeans are from ~1958.

It happens with people like Don & Sherry Krauter. Sherry once had a Leica IIIg I sent in for restoration for sixteen months, but I admit that when I got it back, it looked--and worked--almost as if it had just come out of the box.

You learn the meaning of patience with Don and Sherry. There's no hurrying quality work....

Not to knock the quality of people's work, but I wouldn't do business with people who can't keep an open line of communication, camera's are simple mechanical designs, these aren't renaissance paintings being restored.

Perhaps I'm fortunate, we have Horst Wenzel here in Vancouver, and Gerry at Kindermann in Toronto. Both very easy to reach and good communication.

I also treat general buying and selling the same way. If it takes 3 days to respond to me, forget it, I won't do business with you.

In life, don't accept being someone's option.

He mentioned being 4-6 weeks behind on repairs when I sent it in - I think that meant: "4-6 weeks plus all the people in front of you!". It's cool, I'll live.

Has anyone used a fella named Youxin in MA? I sent a different camera to him some weeks back and got it back soon after. Maybe he's new to the scene and not as backed up. I'm really not an expert on M's - and have never had any other servicing to compare.

Lesson learned: Have a backup.

-Dan

Not to knock the quality of people's work, but I wouldn't do business with people who can't keep an open line of communication, camera's are simple mechanical designs, these aren't renaissance paintings being restored.

Perhaps I'm fortunate, we have Horst Wenzel here in Vancouver, and Gerry at Kindermann in Toronto. Both very easy to reach and good communication.

I also treat general buying and selling the same way. If it takes 3 days to respond to me, forget it, I won't do business with you.

In life, don't accept being someone's option.

I don't get bothered by the wait, however I would appreciate a response when I have a question or want an update. An email doesn't take that much time.

I tried contacting Kindermann in Toronto about a lens that required collimation, just to confirm that they did that sort of work, but I never did hear back from them. However, when I contacted Don, he confirmed that he could do the work the very next day, so I sent the lens to him.

When it comes to DAG, I have heard (I believe on this forum) that if you send him a lens that just needs adjustment, the turn around can be pretty quick. Here's hoping that is the case for all of us regardless of what we send him.

Oh, and my last contact with him was on June 20.

Great to see his picture and where my other camera went! Thanks for posting that link. I think (in my uneducated opinion) he did do a nice job cleaning and getting my camera back and working - all of these guys must have a lot of focus to sit and work intently on the little devices.

Don is alway like this. He's responsive to email with initial inquiry, but once the camera is in, he goes silent. Pretty much till it's done. It can be a few weeks, it can be over half a year (!). Phone is the best way to reach him, though that's still hard. Of course I don't want to disturb him with harassing amount of calls, but when he goes completely silent over the email with my cameras in (and several months over the estimated time frame we previously discussed), I think I have right to try to reach him anyhow so I've done so in the past but not every time. Once you get to talk to him, he is very nice and informative.

I've come to accept his rather artistic nature and appreciate the skills he's got, which often times the only way to solve some tough problems with the camera that others can't take.

Add in a dozen phone calls with chatty guys who cannot talk about cameras to anyone
they know, and it really adds up

...before I comment, let me tell you about my life and time in the congo. There I was, in the bush carrying a large raw steak in one hand and my trusty camera in the other...

Kidding.

I'll send other stuff to Don, but will be sure to know his particular habits and plan accordingly. All's well.

Edit: Don responded today - he really is a good guy and as his reputation suggested is fair and on top of stuff.

"I have "worked" in camera shops where I was doing ad layouts and just filled in, the chatting with lonely camera guys is unreal."

Then on the other hand, certain famous and well-known Leica repair persons could turn out to be even chattier than us lonely camera guys. Sherry Krauter comes to mind.

Sometimes you have to call him, sometimes you have to e-mail him. If he's doing any custom work, BE PATIENT. If it's simple repair / adjustment, give him a clear deadline and he'll meet it. I've had wonderful experiences with him.

Don has had my gear for about 2 years now. I hardly remember what that IIIG, IIF, and assorted lenses look like. He's only had my M7 for a couple of months. He says that he'll get them back to me "soon".

He is hard to get a hold of during normal hours. Try late at night, or early in the morning.

Hi Folks,

I've been trying to get ahold of Don to check on the status of a camera repair, but he hasn't responded to emails and his number either rings without a message machine or is busy. Has anyone been in contact with him? Should I be worried? Any info appreciated,
-Dan, Northern California

I usually try calling in the early afternoon by phone that usually works

He does great work,

Nik

This thread is almost identical to 3 or 4 other threads about the same subject over the last years. I mean word for word. Bizarre.

Back