Anyone for highy collectable Contax II?

$750 Service? Is that right for an overhaul? Who Did it?
guessing it has a new shutter, RF overhaul, any worn gears/parts replaced. Tested with paperwork of tests?

Seems high to me.

Never buy from CL IMO

So you're saying $3,600.00 is a good price? Sounds steep to me. But then I am a bottom feeder when it comes to cameras.

PF

I'd say $400 is high. May be $500 for CLA'd. But $3600? That's makes kevincamera and arsenalphoto seem like Salvation Army store.

So you're saying $3,600.00 is a good price? Sounds steep to me. But then I am a bottom feeder when it comes to cameras.

PF

I had a Contax III that I got $175.00 for, a new shutter was needed, (as always), but that plus a CLA was around $350 I think.

It is a clean looking CII, though. I think they may think it is a highly collectable rare camera.

I can't think of his name but the Contax repairman who thinks Kiev's are an abomination is high priced on his repairs...and takes 2-4 years on top of it..

Never buy from CL IMO

I buy and sell on CL and as yet have had no problems..

I have a BD Contax IIIa fully working, cosmetically challenged, and I have difficulty selling it for $150. May be I should ask $2000, and state that it used to be part of famous collection?

I am fascinated at the notion of a very nice but basically ordinary Contax II with a "postwar shutter". Seems to me that the only way that could be is for the shutter to have come from Kiev instead of Jena.:)

Cheers,
Dez

Scherer?

Scherer?

That repairman's name is maybe Sherer?

Raid

I can't think of his name but the Contax repairman who thinks Kiev's are an abomination is high priced on his repairs...and takes 2-4 years on top of it..

I buy and sell on CL and as yet have had no problems..

I have seen some wicked items on CL, like "collector's delight" Rolleiflex Automat with Tessar for $1500 in non-working condition. But this one tops 'em all!

His name indeed is Sherer and his website is like half Proust and half Army training manual. Have you read the part about how you MUST pack your camera in order to send it to him? The ravings of a total control freak. I've worked for people like that. Interestingly enough this tone of scolding hauteur is very confidence inspiring for certain kinds of people and his waiting list is indeed now multi-year. Me, not so much. When I saw $750 CLA I thought immediately of this fellow.

But here's a question: it's a Contax II? Not a IIa? I can't remember how to tell the difference looking at it. If it's totally excellent and in fabulous working condition and the Sonnar f/2 is totally clean I could see paying $600-675 for the pair. I wouldn't, but I could understand someone else doing so.

These babies cost solidly more than equivalent Leicas back in the 1930s, 40s, and early 50s so maybe the seller is just figuring out real cost equivalents for today....

Actually, no. There's a 1938 Zeiss Ikon ad on eBay shows the Contax II with the f/2 Sonnar at RM 450. That converted back then to $181. Which in today's value would be less than $2800.

Maybe he's including what would have been a steep import levy. Yeah, that must be it.

Don't get it

Don't get it

guessing it has a new shutter, RF overhaul, any worn gears/parts replaced. Tested with paperwork of tests?

Seems high to me.

Never buy from CL IMO

I don't understand this attitude at all. Why wouldn't you ever buy from Craigslist? I've bought and sold cars cameras all kinds of stuff. Are you the type that thinks buying from a dealer is the only way to go?

Back