New York April Nyc Meet-up

Calzone

Gear Whore #1
Local time
5:23 PM
Let's avoid meeting up around the 15th. It will be a crazy time for me.

So I kinda have my Nikon F3P optimized for using my Leica 50 Lux "E60." I kinda learned from using the "E60" on my SL of how wonderfully sharp and smooth it is. I would say the rendering is very much like a Noctilux except it is F1.4 and that the corners are not dark wide open. It kinda is sharp like an ASPH lens, but without any harshness. Did I mention that it has wonderful bokeh.

I am using a Leitax Almost Auto F-Mount adapter that presents a lever to fully open the iris for critical focusing. To expose just release the lever and hit the shutter. I can work the lever with my left middle finger while focusing, or I can use other fingers on my right hand, but I think I like going left handed the best.

The focus snap really pops, and what I like about the Nikon Pro cameras is 100% frame view not 95% or 90% like other SLR's. What is the point of shooting a SLR if one does not have accurate framing?

So The F5 I got from Joe is now a very important camera that is optimized for using the 24/1.4 AF-D and Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2. I found that Nikon makes course matte screens for the F5 that are optimized for fast manual focus lenses. The "E" screen I bought makes a wonderful focus pop with the Noct-Nikkor.

No guessing or vague focus, and pretty easy to nail the focus, especially with a DK-17 VF'er magnifier. It seems the slightly longer focal length also adds to the focus pop. The 24/1.4 AF-D and Noct-Nikkor are two of Nikon's rarest SLR lenses. Both are legendary and offer unique rendering. Pretty much I have the best body to exploit these two lenses. Pretty much a dream camera, but then there is the F3P with 50 "E60"...

The F5 offers 1/8000 second to kill light, and shooting Tri-X at 800 provides yet another stop of light. My slacker's Brew (Diafine) with minimized aggitation provides no grain with Tri-X, and a compensating effect with a broad mid range of a larger format.

So I will be bringing my Killer rigs that I will campaign over the next few seasons. Bring out the rig to this spring meet-up that you intend on shooting the most this spring, summer, and fall. Let's get some spring fever happening.

I have 30 rolls of 120 Acros and 8 rolls of 120 Tri-X that by now is refrigerated expired film that was bought cheap way back when film was mucho cheaper. I'm almost down to perhaps a half dozed rolls of rebranded Tri-X in 135 and maybe 5 rolls of rebranded Acros in 135.

So I intend to plan a trip to Philly to expend my 120. Will likely shoot my Rollie 3.5. Philly will be a one day excursion via reserved seating on the Megabus. Perhaps we will hook up with our Philly friends. My idea is to restock with fresh film, and shoot all my dated film.

Let's do lots of shooting this season.

Cal

So I am really astonished on how different the focusing is between the Noct-Nikkor and Leica 50 "E60."

Because of F1.2 and the shallow DOF the focus really snaps and there is contrast that pops with the Noct-Nikkor. The focus goes to a blur to tack sharp and the sharpness kinda pokes one in the eye. Also the F5 "E" screen seems to be brighter than a F3 "E" screen, but the engraved lines are less bold.

The 50 Lux "E60" seems to favor the Beattie screen and does well with the added brightness. The Beattie screen with the Noct-Nikkor diluted the contrast, but this does not seem to happen with the "E60" because the contrast does not pop or change like when using a Nikon lens, but the experience is to focus like using a microscope on some fine detail. It is here that the brightness of the Beattie screen becomes an asset, especially if one likes to focus on ground glass.

BTW the extra 8 mm on the Noct-Nikkor is a big deal. The DOF is considerably less, and the magnification is a step towards a short tele. Not insignifigant. The Noct-Nikkor is optimized for F1.2 to F4.0. At F5.6 almost any other 50 would be sharper, but at any stop including F1.2 to F4.0 the Noct-Nikkor is pure magic if you can nail the focus.

The Noct Nikkor rendering is very different than a Noctilux in the corner and edge rendering. The Noctilux will have sharpness in the corners that the Noct-Nikkor will not have, but the Noct-Nikkor will not have the light fall off in the corners that the Noctilux displays. The bokeh on these two lenses compares in that wide open the DOF, OOF and bokeh all resemble larger formats.

So the F5 with its ultra high shutter speeds can add sharpness instead of diffraction by avoiding having to stop down, and allows for exploiting the F1.2-F4.0 sweet range of the Noct-Nikkor, even with Tri-X shot at 800 ISO (Slacker's Brew-Diafine).

The 50 Lux is about the sharpest non ASPH out there IMHO. Not as sharp as a 50 Lux ASPH-M, but also not so high contrast either, a good thing. In comparing the 50 "E60" against the Noct- Nikkoe the "E60" definately is sharper more across the frame wide open, and at F5.6 is a great choice as a landscape lens. I found that the "E60" wide open is mucho remarkably sharp, without any ASPH harshness (it is not ASPH), and has mucho-bueno bokeh.

Definately the Noct-Nikkor is the more dreamy lens.

For mucho-mucho contrast and saturation the utimate is the Nikon 45/2.8P AIS. This little pancake lens has mucho few elements and the latest NIC coating for mucho transmission of light via a simple Tessar formula. Muy macho contrast.

So my SL2-MOT is rigged with a 35 Lux 3-cam. The split prism is really needed and serves well the somewhat vague focus of a wide on a SLR.

So now you know that I am going to do mucho SLR over the next three seasons.

Cal

If you guys can avoid the weekend of May 13-14 that would be great. Other than that i'll be ok with any date

Pro-Mone,

That is likely wise. My spin is we can still have a NYC Meet-Up and also do Philly by breaking the month into two and dividing it in the middle by your black out period.

Also to those lurkers, we take the Megabus from the Javit's Center very early (6:10 AM) and we get to Philly before 9:00 AM. The return ride is around dinner time and figure being dropped off near FIT around 8:30 PM. The reserve seats round trip is just around $30.00. Reserve seating (extra $1.00) is highly recommended to ensure a seat. Also know that reserved seating is limited.

The food in Philly is mighty good.

Also know that there was some talk about doing Boston, but that would be an overnighter. I walked Boston with my gal a few years ago.

Cal

For mucho-mucho contrast and saturation the utimate is the Nikon 45/2.8P AIS. This little pancake lens has mucho few elements and the latest NIC coating for mucho transmission of light via a simple Tessar formula. Muy macho contrast.
(...)
So now you know that I am going to do mucho SLR over the next three seasons.

Cal
I bursted out laughing at that one.

Damned cameras, they are so varied that it's so fun to switch between form factors. Think you'll be fine for half a lifetime, and then a 90º turn isn't a bad idea, scrambling it up.

So I intend to plan a trip to Philly to expend my 120. Will likely shoot my Rollie 3.5
Sitting high and dry on Rolleis. The $345 3.5E2 escaped after the seller quoted $100+ shipping. And I've been reading and talkin' far too much about Rolleis this week.

Altogether while the bank account is mucho empty. :p

From next year on I might have easier logistics for NY or Boston, will see though. I like daytrips and am thrifty but stay ins are nicely slower paced.

I bursted out laughing at that one.

Damned cameras, they are so varied that it's so fun to switch between form factors. Think you'll be fine for half a lifetime, and then a 90º turn isn't a bad idea, scrambling it up.

Sitting high and dry on Rolleis. The $345 3.5E2 escaped after the seller quoted $100+ shipping. And I've been reading and talkin' far too much about Rolleis this week.

Altogether while the bank account is mucho empty. :p

From next year on I might have easier logistics for NY or Boston, will see though. I like daytrips and am thrifty but stay ins are nicely slower paced.

Jorde,

The city surely has changed a lot since you were last here, and that was not too long ago. Citibikes are now even in my hood, the avenues keep getting narrower, and even though the speed limit has been reduced to 25 MPH, now walking around seems more dangerous than ever.

Earlier this week my hipster fashion photographer friend got clipped by a U.S. Postal truck. EMT's took him to the hospital. Wrenched his back pretty bad, and was bleeding at the scene of which the driver fled the scene. Pretty much the cops were indifferent, and they said more or less don't waste our time, but the EMT's argued with the cops to do their job.

This morning in the lobby of my building I saw Mike limping with a stiff body, and I asked him is possibly the driver who left the scene might not have realized that he struck him?

Mike told me the driver blew though a red light and had to know that he hit him. I inquired about Mike's steel Italian bike (high end full Campy), and Mike said the rear wheel is damaged, but he hopes the rear triangle is not bent.

Anyways we pay extra for this kinda life. Know that one now has to watch out for getting hit by cyclists as well as cars, trucks, and buses.

Cal

I grew up and live in a rather small town, not very used to heavy traffic.
I try to eye everyone, not even trusting red lights as a stopping device for drivers. But you never know, as we talked, a driver could distract and run into the sidewalk.
It's down to urban planning and rationing the different kinds of traffic. As a cyclist here in my town I've got the advantage of having some old rural roads taking me around as I am no way getting into the roads. Sometimes I must "play pedestrian" and ride in the walkway; Doable here.

In Barcelona the same issue is happening. Township wants cycling lanes and is building those, but the planning isn't quite there: Cars hitting bikes, and bikes hitting pedestrians.

NY traffic was mucho noisy and intimidating. Those rumbling sirens and honking are a thing.

Everyone could take the LA solution: Traffic Jams :D

The idealization of driving and freedom isn't quite what I get. I don't enjoy driving that much, because I'd rather watch the landscape out. Prefer bicycles and trains as transport myself.

The idealization of driving and freedom isn't quite what I get. I don't enjoy driving that much, because I'd rather watch the landscape out. Prefer bicycles and trains as transport myself.

Jorde,

I am aggressive person, and it has been said that I drive like a fighter pilot. Add onto that is that I like performance cars, and if I owned some supercar I would want to put it through its paces. If ever a rich guy I would go to a race car driving school, and I would put some time in on a track.

Pretty much even on a bicycle I am dangerous because I think of riding a bike the study of physics in real time. On bikes I am know for spectacular crashes on a mountain bike.

If you walk around enough in NYC one will have many close brushes by almost getting hit by cars and objects falling from buildings. A few months ago I jumped away from a car that was going to hit me. I acually had to kinda do a push-up off the hood of this Mercedes to catch my fall as I lurched my legs sideways to avoid impact into my legs.

I was in the crosswalk, had the right of way with a walk signal, but the diver did not see me, which was partially my fault because it was dark out and I wore black pants and a dark coat. At last he stopped to see if I was O.K.

A while back I was almost hit by a full water bottle that was thrown from a housing project. The bottle exploded when it hit the ground, and impacted close enough for me to get wet.

The moral of all these stories is basically I'm not safe at any speed. Kinda like living in a Ralph Nader commercial.

Also know in NYC you do have to worry about getting killed by being crushed by a construction crane. We have several, perhaps not enough to use my expression "mucho," construction crane accidents and news stories every year. Oh-well seems to be the attitude. LOL.

Cal

Cal, make sure you hit the Reading Terminal Market while you're in Philly. Interesting place and great Amish baked goods. Used to be one of my favorite places when I'd go shooting in Philly. You have to get a "Woopie" pie !

Ohh...and since you get to Philly at 9AM-there's a nice breakfast place in the Reading Terminal-Arch St side, the aisle nearest Arch and about in the middle of the aisle. It's got Amish girls working the counter so it should be easy to find.

I'd recommend a camera shop, but most of the ones I knew are gone now.

Cal, make sure you hit the Reading Terminal Market while you're in Philly. Interesting place and great Amish baked goods. Used to be one of my favorite places when I'd go shooting in Philly. You have to get a "Woopie" pie !

Ohh...and since you get to Philly at 9AM-there's a nice breakfast place in the Reading Terminal-Arch St side, the aisle nearest Arch and about in the middle of the aisle. It's got Amish girls working the counter so it should be easy to find.

I'd recommend a camera shop, but most of the ones I knew are gone now.

MFM,

When we visited Philly we ate there (Philippe, me and Jean-Mark). We hooked up with Ben. Philly seems to be a great food town.

When I went with my gal I took notice that the prime cuts of meat were about half the NYC prices so I loaded up on some prime ribs. Yum-yum. "Maggie" and I went there for the Flower Show.

A funny story is that after shooting ESP we kinda went to the north and west Philly were we were advised to avoid. A local asked what we were doing there and I explained exploring Philly, that we were from NYC, and that we originally came to shoot ESP.

So this guy "Popcorn" (real name John) tells us that his dad spent some time in ESP for giving a man a beating with a 2x4.

Some of the abandoned blocks seemed to be scenes from the HBO series "The Wire."

Know any gritty places or industrial areas? The uglier the better.

Cal

When Philippe, Cal, and I were in the gritty areas, we noticed several makeshift memorials...and when one of us photographed, the other two stood guard.

So "Maggie" got an e-mail from her agent Saturday because she saw "Maggie" in the Valentino eyewear ad at Harold's in London that was shot by Terry Richardson (AKA Uncle Terry). Maggie's agent said that she was driving her car and when she saw the ad that it almost caused her to have an accident.

Anyways I enquired about Harold's and pretty much it is a big luxury store like Bergdorf or Barnie's except in London.

I now know why the 15th is bad for me. There is a guitar show out on Long Island, and I'll be hanging out with those wack jobs. LOL. I was out there Saturday hanging out at a guitar shop after doing my taxes. Had to drop off a guitar for repair and some parts for another project.

It seems the 18 inch arch top is progressing, and some details of a this far 13 year project is advancing more rapidly. BTW because this guitar will be so big and will be a "Blond," meaning clear finish over maple and spruce, it has the name "Jane" after Jane Mansfield. Over the years the woods became more select, and somehow Cris was able to secure a few leftover neck blanks from legend Jimmy De Aquisto's estate.

With all of Maggie's jet setting I now have the opportunity to "woodshed" and pull out the guitars.

Cal

When Philippe, Cal, and I were in the gritty areas, we noticed several makeshift memorials...and when one of us photographed, the other two stood guard.

Also know that the street art is very different than NYC. Less about the artist and definitely more about the community. It is kinda refreshing, and also remarkable. Philly has its own identity as a city.

BTW the memorials were for little kids.

Cal

Yesterday I shot three looks for "Maggie's" fashion blog before it rained, and I somehow managed to get another great shot of one of my neighbors on East 101st Street who is an old man with a "Landscape-Face."

I made one full frame print, and then another with a 33% zoom in to se how things scale up. Brutal I say.

Cal

MFM,

When we visited Philly we ate there (Philippe, me and Jean-Mark). We hooked up with Ben. Philly seems to be a great food town.

When I went with my gal I took notice that the prime cuts of meat were about half the NYC prices so I loaded up on some prime ribs. Yum-yum. "Maggie" and I went there for the Flower Show.

A funny story is that after shooting ESP we kinda went to the north and west Philly were we were advised to avoid. A local asked what we were doing there and I explained exploring Philly, that we were from NYC, and that we originally came to shoot ESP.

So this guy "Popcorn" (real name John) tells us that his dad spent some time in ESP for giving a man a beating with a 2x4.

Some of the abandoned blocks seemed to be scenes from the HBO series "The Wire."

Know any gritty places or industrial areas? The uglier the better.

Cal

Cal, there are some abandoned factories down near the waterfront. Other than that, I don't know of any-I've been here in Alabama since 06/99.

Back