New York April Nyc Meet-up

Now, I saw Maggie on the Airport advert. This makes it all tangible in a way. (Photo should be here)

e0f41b97a75855562b17478a3d471241.jpg

Cal, I see the germans eventually got their way to conquer NYC, hah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorde,

Maggie was videotaped for an airline (a rather big one) and will be shortly spamming everyone. LOL.

120K followers last night. Many from Russia.

Some sportswear event today. Yesterday two clothes deliveries arrived.

I think a fourth Linhof is in the picture. Also I discovered the $700.00 Technika IV is a 1958, is as old as me, and it looks like a shelf queen. I say a lot of camera for "no money." Basically I'll be bringing in a time capsule with literature and many extras.

I figured out I will likely get another Tech IV, but the "B" version for the 53 Biogon. Pretty much because I am a lazy slacker and the bodies are so inexpensive I don't have to change lenses.

BTW the Tech V Polaroid folder is too cool. I will be mounting this tiny 90/6.8 4x5 lens.

Cal

"Maggie" is also pictured at the Valentino Store in SoHo.

Last night before bed 121K followers, and this morning 123K followers.

Yesterday only two packages arrived: one was a fancy hat box within a box that contained two masks that I am told are rather expensive; the other had a crazy pair of jeans that Maggie had ordered.

I was told this morning that Maggie is rated 61st out of the top 100 Fashion Bloggers in the world.

Some shot I took last weekend got 10K likes within 24 hours after being posted.

Wait till you see my 59 year old Linhof that I only paid $700.00 for at this April Meet-Up. Even the leather strap on the grip looks like brand new. The Linhof folder Polaroid needs a size "0" lensboard, a lens cleaning of the 90/6.8 that I am recycling from the 4x5 Tech IV, and a new cam for rangefinder focusing. With the Tech IV and 100 Zeiss Planar it already is cammed with matching numbers on the lens and cam.

My PLC (Personal Linhof Consultant) tells me that making and fitting a cam is not difficult, but takes a good amount of time. Also he forwarded me a link to secure a 6x9 Rolliex 120 back that I hope to pick up today. If I secure this rare back, it will be a great score, because it costs "no money."

Cal

John, although it probably has not yet reached the press down in Chile, by Executive Decree, Fifth Avenue has just been renamed "Trump Avenue".

I almost believed you. This is actually one of my favorite streets to photograph on... on Sunday mornings.

I almost believed you. This is actually one of my favorite streets to photograph on... on Sunday mornings.

John,

I go into Trump Tower to piss. Mucho NYC tough guys with machine guns guarding the place. There is an atrium where Maggie and I shoot in the winter.

One thing that is changing is that retail stores are not doing well. This was already happening before you left. Also I don't believe there are as many tourists.

Cal

John,

I go into Trump Tower to piss. Mucho NYC tough guys with machine guns guarding the place. There is an atrium where Maggie and I shoot in the winter.

One thing that is changing is that retail stores are not doing well. This was already happening before you left. Also I don't believe there are as many tourists.

Cal

Good to know, as an outsider most buildings seemed like a private "no-business for you zone."

The political trumpets sounding lately must have something to do. Possibly anecdotical, but I percieve less buzz here about going to the US. Even some people state the Potus as a reason for not going.

Barcelona has reached crazy levels of tourism and managing it is critical. With mucho bad things going on other countries (Egypt, Turkey) people come to Spain as alternative.
When I was flying out on tuesday, aside of a loong security control and seeing Maggie, there were the AA flights on gates. There are more routes coming, NYC low cost too.

Now that you have a Technika 4x5, you could get into the world of zen-like LF. Though as I see it, Madhattan rythm doesn't bode with the pace of Large Format.
That 90mm sounds like the classic angulon and anyways with GG focusing you can mingle bodies and lenses. I am quite comfortable at the one lens per body concept though.

4 linhofs? Damn
Keep it quiet, shouldn't they be hyped and have prices soaring.

4 linhofs? Damn
Keep it quiet, shouldn't they be hyped and have prices soaring.

Jorde,

Higher prices will cure my "Linhof Disease." LOL.

It is unbelievable the low prices. Just imagine the price of a Leica M3 from 1958 that is in pristine condition, and then throw in mucho extras, and a rare lens that can be repaired for $700.00. Came with an instruction manual, although it is in German. LOL.

It seems that the overbuilding of luxury condos has destabilized rent increases. It seems the rental market is a bit soft due to an oversupply.

At this point the young people that have migrated to NYC and especially Brooklyn that give the city its youthful energetic vibe are somewhat doing the reverse migration to the burbs for better deals on housing and for the sake of bringing up children.

The lessons are all supply and demand, and coming from a former day trader the prices are now low, and the time to load up is now. They don't build German cameras like the use to. Also the glass is crazy cheap while the quality is mucho high.

One day people will say, "I should of bought a Linhof when they sold for no money." I say just be patient and wait for a steal deal. Also it is best to buy a kit than try and build a kit. The small parts and accessories are expensive. Almost seems like a profitable business to buy kits and part them out for big profits.

BTW B&H has a very rare 5x7 Super Technika V for sale. Pretty much a Holy Grail except for the 16 8x10 Technikas they built. The 5x7 weighs 8+ pounds. LOL.

Interesting to note that when I scour the Internet that Linhof information is rather obscure. I'm glad that I have a PLC to answer my questions.

BTW my 4x5 Tech IV is well worn and used. The once grey leather (real leather and not leatherette) has this wonderful patina. This camera has Mojo.

Cal

This morning 125K or 1/8th of a million followers.

GEAR ALERT: Yesterday I took the advice of my PLS (Private Linhof Supplier) and picked up the Black Rolliex 120 back. Originally advertised as a 6x9 back, in fact it is a 6x7 back. Oh-well.

The price was $50.00, which is "no money" since user 120 backs go for $150.00-$200.00. Ultra clean and boxed versions sell for north of $500.00 which is "crazy money." Black versions are later versions and carry a premium.

Understand that the film transport is universal, so it can be used for 4x5 and in 2x3 with the coresponding back retainer. My PLC/PLS is giving me a 4x5 back retainer so this film transport serves both formats for 6x7. So are all these numbers confusing you? Basically there are three kinds of people: ones that are good at math; and those that are bad in math. LOL.

So anyways I'm seeing a huge pattern, that was validated by the selling at KEH. It seems that buying complete Linhof kits and parting them out is a highly profitable venture if one has the cash flow.

Also know that information and reference material is very vague on the internet. My intensive data mining reveals scant results. The cams that is inherent in the Linhof design seems to shy away people from an otherwise modular design.

So I believe Linhofs are the ultimate "Cult" camera. I only know of only one Linhof owner/shooter besides myself, and I have not seen, other than my PLC's cameras, no other Linhof's "in the wild." To me this makes owning and shooting Linhof's elusive and exclusive. Either one needs a PLC for guidence, or one is lost because of obscure information.

Seems like a great subject to blog on due to the incomplete and lack of information on Linhofs. Anyways a true cult camera that remains under the radar.

The Tech V Linhof Folder is coming along, and now with the Black Baby Back the tan Tech IV is a functional camera. Perhaps I'll bring a box of FP-100C and we'll mount the Tech 70 Polaroid back on the Tech IV with the cammed 100 Planar. The price per shot is just over two dollars.

BTW the rigged Tech IV is a "Porker" and feels like a small bowling ball, but the ergonomics and balance remains amazing.

Cal

Cal, Noticed an advertisement this week for Valentino Sunglasses in a high end shop at the Kierland Commons in Scottsdale,Az.......both advertisements featured your lady friend Maggie...note on bottom of ad stated "Lower East Side New York October 27th 2016" was that your photo?.....Regards,Bill

GEAR ALERT: I just bought another Technika IV, but this one is the "B" version with the lower magnification VF that is tailored for the 53/4.5 Zeiss Biogon. Basically a "B" body, with cam and grip for $345.00. The camera is a "user."

One of the things I expect is possible missing leatherette. It seems the glue for the leatherette is lame and gives up eventually.

I also bought a brown leather Linhof case that has a tan interior and is styled like a briefcase with dividers. Cost almost "no money" and the real reason I want it is that it is "minty."

So if the user Tech IV is missing leatherette, I might style the camera with a leather upgrade, or perhaps I'l buy one of those Louie bag knockoffs from a street vendor to cannabilize and give it a Louis Vuttion Monogram treatment just to annoy people.

So pretty soon, upon delivery, I'll have 4 Linhof's. The cool thing is how modular and interchangeable the accessories are.

Cal

Cal, Noticed an advertisement this week for Valentino Sunglasses in a high end shop at the Kierland Commons in Scottsdale,Az.......both advertisements featured your lady friend Maggie...note on bottom of ad stated "Lower East Side New York October 27th 2016" was that your photo?.....Regards,Bill

Bill,

That was not one of my shots. The photographer was Terry Richardson, AKA Uncle Terry.

How crazy is that?

It was just over two years ago that "Maggie" started her blog, and now she is a celeb. When we went to Toronto last summer she was recognized by one of her followers.

Most recently in China she was involved with their "Fashion Weekend" and at one point was surrounded by half a dozen body guards.

She is represented by Elite Modeling London, and so far they have not lit the fire yet to really promote her. Life is already crazy, and I think within a year she will have to quit her day job as a graduate school level college professor.

BTW her real name is Lyn.

Cal

She is represented by Elite Modeling London, and so far they have not lit the fire yet to really promote her. Life is already crazy, and I think within a year she will have to quit her day job as a graduate school level college professor.

BTW her real name is Lyn.

Cal
Pretty crazy that you say the throttle is not that open, if they were at full gas things would be very very crazy.
As you noted fashion is quite an unstable industry, but if it plays well it can be quite fun. Specially if retirement is close. Maybe it's my youn generation vision that jobs aren't permanent anymore.

Can't you slip a note to Elite? hire a few of us for modelling :D

So if the user Tech IV is missing leatherette, I might style the camera with a leather upgrade, or perhaps I'l buy one of those Louie bag knockoffs from a street vendor to cannabilize and give it a Louis Vuttion Monogram treatment just to annoy people.

So pretty soon, upon delivery, I'll have 4 Linhof's. The cool thing is how modular and interchangeable the accessories are.

Cal
As per Hasselblad crazy Sony rebrands and Leica limited editions, reskinning the Linhof with some fashion brands would be something very curious.

Then naked bare chrome aluminum is nice. I've seen some people using wood "leatherette" or even thin metal would work.

Or going Fast and Furious tuning ghetto style and cover it with carbon fiber :p

The other day I went out with the Rolleicord and had a couple nice responses. Less attention than expected, just a couple compliments, but perhaps it's also because I got absorbed in the WLF. Interestingly shooting with it seems as if I were rather invisible and can compose slowly and quietly.
Sent out my test roll to the lab. I see infinity is reached (hopefully only by the viewing system) before the knob marking.

Press technical cameras must be very attention grabbing. The Biogon rig with RF (zone focusing would work?) seems mighty interesting for street. A bit of wartime action.

Pretty crazy that you say the throttle is not that open, if they were at full gas things would be very very crazy.
As you noted fashion is quite an unstable industry, but if it plays well it can be quite fun. Specially if retirement is close. Maybe it's my youn generation vision that jobs aren't permanent anymore.

As per Hasselblad crazy Sony rebrands and Leica limited editions, reskinning the Linhof with some fashion brands would be something very curious.

Then naked bare chrome aluminum is nice. I've seen some people using wood "leatherette" or even thin metal would work.

The other day I went out with the Rolleicord and had a couple nice responses. Less attention than expected, just a couple compliments, but perhaps it's also because I got absorbed in the WLF. Interestingly shooting with it seems as if I were rather invisible and can compose slowly and quietly.
Sent out my test roll to the lab. I see infinity is reached (hopefully only by the viewing system) before the knob marking.

Press technical cameras must be very attention grabbing. The Biogon rig with RF (zone focusing would work?) seems mighty interesting for street. A bit of wartime action.

Jorde,

A friend of ours from AU is another fashion blogger, and the big point is that all this success can ebb and go away in a blink of an eye. One has to keep this in mind. Life is already pretty crazy, and the big time seems to be happening...

My "Linhof Disease" is founded that now that film is more expensive that it has evolved into a slower process. I have the Monochrom and SL for digital convenience and speed. My logic is to do the Mark Cuban: "Go big or don't go." I figure try to shoot less small format because it is so easy, and slow down and maximize the big negative.

I figure shooting a Linhof as an every day carry sets me apart. I don't know of anyone using a Linhof in this way, and I learned from Maggie that if you want to stand out, don't do what everyone else is doing. Other than my PLC's Linhofs I have never seen a Linhof "in the wild."

Linhofs are distinctive cameras. The glass is at the level of a Hasselblad if one cherry picks. It is one way to stand out, but I also can see why I may not have any followers. LOL. Mucho heavy camera. LOL.

With no meter, no battery, and really the only thing to maintain is a leaf shutter, photography does not get any more basic than this. It is old school and old world. They don't build German cameras like they use to.

Cal

DEAL BREAK ALERT: The dealer of the $345.00 Tech IV "B" called me to make me aware that the Tech IV is missing part of the VF'er. Because this camera is not functional, I will follow the Chinese expression< "Time is the best weapon," and just lay low for a while untill a screaming deal comes along for the "B" version that is required for using my 53 Zeiss Biogon.

Oh-well.

Cal

Glad your enjoying your new rolleicord, have fun with it!

I vote for recovering a Linhof in Griptac from Camera Leather !

MFM,

I'm a big fan of Griptac. I had a black paint MP with a 0.85 finder that the previous owner recovered in Griptac.

Griptac was originally developed for the handles of Tennis rackets.

Well the user 2x3 Technika IV deal went south. Oh-well.

Lots of forensics at the Meet-Up of the how and why of Linhof. Pretty much you don't see Linhofs "In the wild" and it was suggested that they are mostly used in the studio due to their weight. I mentioned that shooting one for street will make people think the owner is unstable and crazy, and Christian remarked, "Their thinking is correct, and there is a reason why you don't see Linhof's on the street."

So a fully rigged Tech IV with a Rolliex 120 back only weighs about 7 1/2 pounds, less than a gallon of milk (about 8 pounds). Anyways the great brag was snagging the Tech IV with a BIN for $700.00 including a 100/2.8 Zeiss Planar, cam, hood, cable release, masks, instruction manual (written in German only), and a half dozen dual sided 2x3 film holders. The camera is a shelf queen that dates back to 1958, and is as old as me.

The 6x9 SWL project drew a lot of excitement from my PLC. The 53/4.5 Biogon is a legendary piece of glass, and like the SWC Biogon its design is for ariel mapping, meaning low/no distortion and edge to edge coverage. It is said that Biogons do not require the use of center filters.

So my PLC removed the hood and rotated the ground glass to verify that without a dropped bed the 53 Biogon did not image the bed on the frame when shooting vertically.

I explained how the top track has to be pushed back into the body to set infinity focus, and normally on other cameras that is achieved by dropping the bed. The problen to solve is being able to lock the top tracks to the lower tracks to secure rangefinder focusing.

So there was some arguing doing forensics: Joe and I believe the lens boards are made of steel; Joe thinks they are made of stainless; but the PLC thinks they have to be made of aluminum because steel is such overkill.

So I think I have a way to lock the two tracks to get the 53 Biogon to work on the Prototype Tech V in an elegant manner that will allow easy folding. How timely that on line I found NOS parts I need, so I will not be modifying, I will only be adopting the Tech V, and it will remain the odd prototype that it is.

Still a work in progress...

Cal

A Linhof on the street :eek:...wow...this is think different...people will react understanding it's something different from a I.phone and I'm sure you'll make something different and interesting!
great photos will come :)
robert

A Linhof on the street :eek:...wow...this is think different...people will react understanding it's something different from a I.phone and I'm sure you'll make something different and interesting!
great photos will come :)
robert

Robert,

Even at Lorelie's this extremly tall thin hostess engaged with me over this camera when I first got there. I later inquired if she was a model, yes she does have an agent, and she is trying to upgrade to a NYC agent.

My friend Louis Mendez shoots Polaroids with a Crown Graphic is an old living Urban Legend. One day I met up with him on the Upper East Side at the art and antique Armory Show. Louis asked me if I was hanging out because he wanted to get some lunch, and he left me there with his suitcase on a hand truck and his beloved camera.

So all of the sudden I was a Louis Mendez impersonator. The crowds converged on me. "You are not Louis" said some woman.

"Where's Louis. " asked a man.

After I explained that I'm a friend and that I was just safekeeping Louis' gear while he got some lunch, one guy stood over like a body guard waiting for Louis' return.

I think shooting a Linhof for street is kinda cool, and it will provide instant notoriety because Linhof's are crazy cameras. What is so crazy is that I am able to build a custom Linhof from cast offs, and also purchae a shelf queen for "no money."

I just finished milling off the lip off a steel lens board so I can fully seat a Tech IV lens board onto the Tech V Prototype. The Prototype is two tone (hammertone and beige) that suggests the early 70's. There is no serial number on the accessory shoe (as well as no movements on the front and rear standards); there is only one cam cut (for the 95/2.8 Rodenstock Heligon) with no lens serial number; there is only one set of "dimples" on the frame rails for the infinity stops, suggesting that this prototype did have a lens mounted on it at one time.

So the 53 Biogon is gigantic. I have to extend the bellows to gain clearance for the rear cell, the bellows will clasp the rear cell if not extended when I try to remove the lens. Basically it barely fits.

The 2x3 Tech V has a side mounted rangefinder, so it most closely resembles a 4x5 Tech IV, and it is lighter and smaller than a 2x3 Technika IV or Technika 70. The Biogon stays kinda recessed into the body, so the balance is awesome, even though heavy.

So for shooting urban street, what is not to like about a low distortion, even field 24mm FOV that can offer 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9 capability, or even Polaroid.

I say it will definitely will be a mighty cool camera, and it comes with a free gym membership. LOL. Anyways it will indicate that the owner is either a bit crazy or has a lot of personality. LOL. I expect that I will meet mucho people because of my Linhof's.

Cal

Back