ART. Darktable, and Raw Therapee- Share Notes Open-Source Image Processing Software.

Brian, have you also looked at GIMP?

I did a long time ago- but will download and install.

I use Lightroom for almost all of my processing, which is mostly use the profiles, resize, and export to Jpeg. I use very little Photoshop, and never went past CS2.

ART and RT- close enough to the look and feel of Lightroom, and much easier to see how the operations are stored and applied to the image. They are all non-destructive.

I'll do the same. I bought ACDSee Pro Professional 2023, mainly because I know the earlier versions by heart but it doesn't support Leica RAW files and so I'll need another application for that camera. Cheers, OtL

I'll do the same. I bought ACDSee Pro Professional 2023, mainly because I know the earlier versions by heart but it doesn't support Leica RAW files and so I'll need another application for that camera. Cheers, OtL

Leica ".RAW", as in button dance mode of the M8, M9, and M Monochrom? Not much supports that file format.
I've had problems with a number of image processing packages that do not support Linear DNG as found in the M Monochrom. It is 30 lines of Fortran to read in the file, as easy as it gets.

GIMP works with the .DNG files that I create by converting the 14-bit pixels of the M Monochrom to 16-bit values using a Gamma curve. Lightroom also works with them, but CS2 "barfs".

The "Despeckle" in GIMP works the same way as the Noise and Dust filter in CS2 and earlier Photoshop.

GIMP was a bit confused with the Linear DNG- and I manually set it to Greyscale.

GIMP is quite a powerful photo editor, with the NIK collection, DarkTable/RawTherapee/UFRaw and G'MIC plugins it has almost everything I needed
I guess ART can also interface with GIMP

I found a mistake in ART when interpreting the color-IR DNG files that I generate. I use the DNG tags to switch the color planes, switch blue with red. Lightroom going back to 3.6 knows how to do this, and interprets the tags correctly. ART does not- assumes the "default" order rather than executing the demosaic process using the tags. I'll probably send them a DNG file.

I copied over the .dcp file for the Leica M240 from Lightroom. I need to get "just the right filename" to make it load automatically- so did this manually using "browse" for a custom profile under color management. The Default for ART is to use the "Base Table" in the profile. This produced dull colors compared to Lightroom. I changed the setting to "Tone Curve".

ART, export to JPEG, M240 dcp file, TONE Curve.
M2401762.jpg

And Lightroom Export:

M2401762.jpg

Time do do a HEX dump of an M240 .dng file to read the ASCII string for the camera type. ART uses it to match automatically to a .DCP file. Did this for the M9, M8, and M Monochrom.

M2401762.jpg

ABOVE. This is using the Default "Base Table" of the M240 .DCP file.

BELOW. Resized in-camera JPEG.

M2401761_SMALL.jpg

The in-camera JPEG seems close to the Tone Curve in the profile.

Interesting. I pulled up a recent M 240 image in ART. It showed auto matched camera profile. I loaded the .dcp file I got from you previously. It of course had defaulted to base table like you said but shifting it to tone curve made a profound change. I'll need to remember to do that manually with M 240 images in the future.

Even more interesting to me - out of curiosity, I then loaded an image with from my D810. It also was on auto matched camera profile but when I manually loaded the D810.dcp there was only a base table option and no change to the color profile from that.

Whoops. Forget mental notes, I will post here. I even forgot doing a HEX dump of the M240 DNG for William...

When moving files into the ART directory and renaming them to match the name of of camera...
Close ART and then re-open it. The Option for Auto-Matched Profile is then available. It must scan the directory while opening. Ya Think they would expect everyone to copy dcp files into it on the fly.... Doesn't Everyone?

Not all DCP files have all the options.

So I now note. Not a big deal as I have been quite happy with my D810 images, but I can see how the tone curve will help with the M 240 images. That's a big help for me to learn tonight, so thank you!

According to da Wiki on HEIC, GIMP supports opening them since 2.10.2 (released May 2018) so you could convert them that way if necessary.

After upgrading laptops, I'm going back to ACDSee Pro: stand-alone; one-time payment; intuitive software, and excellent file management. Cheers, OtL

I used ACDSee Pro for years and really liked it on my Windows computer ... I'm tempted to put it on my Mac now that they finally have a version for Mac that works ok which they didn't when I first bought my iMac in 2013. I can get PHOTO STUDIO FOR MAC 9 for $35 USD which is crazy cheap and from what I've seen looking at the turorials it will do everything I need.

According to da Wiki on HEIC, GIMP supports opening them since 2.10.2 (released May 2018) so you could convert them that way if necessary.
Darktable and GIMP open them, I was wondering if I could add them to the ART workflow
I didnt bring a camera last week to LasVegas, since I was going for work, but Friday opened and I went to the Hoover Dam and only had my Iphone.

Ah. I'm always depressed if I only have my phone along.

If I'd been in that spot, I'd have used GIMP to open and convert them then post as usual in ART.

The other option is the "More compatible" save option in the camera's settings IIRC? I haven't done iPhone since about my ex had an iPhone 4 so I don't know for certain.

Ah. I'm always depressed if I only have my phone along.

If I'd been in that spot, I'd have used GIMP to open and convert them then post as usual in ART.

The other option is the "More compatible" save option in the camera's settings IIRC? I haven't done iPhone since about my ex had an iPhone 4 so I don't know for certain.
While I agree, I'm always reminded that the best camera is the one you have with you... so trying to make margaritas out of the lemon :)

Edited with Darktable/GIMP

I also had a Karat36 with me, but only with BW film.

Back