New York August 2022 Meet-Up

Cal,

They keep promising rain but it never comes...

If I remember there is overhead coverage at the beer garden so even if it rains while we are the we can stay dry.

Joe

Joe,

We sat there last August because the covering provided shade. I’ll be there rain or shine.

That barn was cool. Mucho big.

I think you will like my MD-2 rigged with a 21/3.4 “R” lens. Looks mighty evil with the hood. Got the lens boxed with caps for under $800.00.

Cal

One-shot: one-kill.

Pretty much what a sniper does, but also I knew a trader who tried to use this principle.

Pretty much I guess is not to waste ammo if you are a sniper, and to make every shot count.

I knew this guitarist, an old man who was a Juilliard trained musician on the violin who was a sniper in the early part of the Vietnam era. Pretty much he was also trained in hand to hand combat, and he asked his drill Sargent why he had to learn hand to hand combat when he was a sniper and had a gun.

”You might run out of bullets,” the Sargent replied.

Anyways I read the book American Sniper, and his claim to fame was that he had over 300 confirmed kills.

The old man I knew said he killed around 300 people, but who’s counting? The thing with the old man is that he was dropped behind enemy lines without dog-tags. Pretty much he was on his own, and if captured, basically he never existed. Oh-well…

So pretty much I know I have a finite amount of ammo as a resource, and I have to make my ammo count. I have to spend my money wisely, and spend it where it will do the most good. So far I think I have done that, and I’m happy-happy.

The notion of buying an IBIS Exie was a crazy idea, even though it is a very nice cross country racing bike that only weighs 23 pounds because it is carbon fiber. At a $12K level even the wheels are carbon fiber.

But understand that a cross country bike is different than a trail bike. A cross country bike is made for speed and distance like in racing, and light weight is a very important for performance.

Meanwhile a trail bike is built sturdier and heavier for rougher terrain. In Blue Mountain Preserve it is not really cross country riding because it is rough and more technical. So anyways I finally figured out that what I need is a trail bike, and because of the way I’m approaching the technical challenge of rocks and climbing at Blue Mountain, pretty much the steel IBIS foots the bill even with just a 30 inch trials gear.

If I add gears it will be the 9-speed XTR I collected. Pretty much this was under Phil’s influence. Pretty much a 3x9 with a 11-34T cassette. Kinda retro, but also updated. Originally the steel IBIS came as a 3x6 and Shimano SIS indexed shifting was new. Retro-modern will be the spin.

For cross country I could build out the Ti IBIS as a 1x11 XTR with a 11-40T cassette. Pretty much a light weight bike and I’ll add a Rock Shox Judy that is tricked out to have a front suspension.

So pretty much I already have what I need, but it took a while to let things settle.

Cal

change of plans... cannot make it to the Beer Garden event

Do Enjoy and have Fun Gents !
Cheers. & BEST ~ HH

I'm proud of the fact that I served in 6 months of heavy urban combat and never killed anyone. I feel that any person who brags about it is a sociopath and a narcissist, at best.
Phil Forrest

I'm proud of the fact that I served in 6 months of heavy urban combat and never killed anyone. I feel that any person who brags about it is a sociopath and a narcissist, at best.
Phil Forrest

Phil,

I thought that too about the author of “American Sniper.”

They say in WWII that 3 out of four men in the U.S. army could not fire their weapon on their first experience of combat. Many froze in fear, others could not process the moral dilemma of killing another human. Others were not ready to pull the trigger.

I think the old man I know was kinda forced into being a sniper. His talent was recognized, even though he tried to stay under the radar and serve his time. This man is a great musician, and was rather humble about it. It was not something he bragged about, and it was I who asked the question, “About how many people did you kill?”

Anyways taking a life cannot be taken lightly.

Cal

I’ll be at the Astoria Beer Garden around noon. It’s been a year. I feel I am a bit of a different person because of retirement. I still have a lot going on, I am still very busy, but I am also more focused on quality of life.

Today I went on a ride. Started on the hills on Washington Street, I kinda attached the hills and did a lot of heavy breathing, did a good amount of standing to stay on top of the gear (single speed), but I made a right on Furnace Dock Road to head towards the Hudson River. Swept around the river around the town on Verplank.

Some of the homes are set on a bluff, but for the most part most of the houses were bland because they were not very-very old, and were just plain modest houses. Much of the terrain is kinda flat when compared to Peekskill.What I’m saying is the old houses are in Peekskill and not Verplank.

I ended up on the industrial road in Peekskill and followed it to the River Promenade and headed to the train station. Then I headed home on South Street which turns from residential to industrial the further south you go. Understand that I live at the very southern end of Peekskill and the northern end of the city is where the downtown is.

Lately I have been drinking 64 ounce smoothies made with double skim milk, fresh fruit, and fortified with vegetable based protein powder after a ride. Know that my tan is pretty dark, and maybe I look more Latino than Asian.

Went shopping at Trader Joe’s for the first time, also Kohr’s was a new experience for me. Went to a Lowes for the second time. We were looking for some lawn furniture for the back-backyard that pretty much is undeveloped and underutilized, but we took notice that at a certain part of the day, early morning, it is markedly cooler and is shaded by our next door neighbor’s tall mature spruce evergreens. Perhaps they are 45 feet tall.

So the idea is to have a place to sit on the back-backyard lawn, in the shade, with our view of the marsh and distant hillside. No luck with buying any furniture. We were hopeful for end of season sales, but the pickings was just cheap stuff. At Trader Joe’s I got some food that was a better deal or not available at Shop Rite or Stop And Shop.

Basically we ended up in Yorktown Heights which is where I ended up on that UBER ride on my bike last week. Pretty much Yorktown Heights is north and east of Peekskill and is in Putnam County.

One reason to be a cyclist is to be able to binge eat large quantities of food, and for the enhanced experience that refuting brings. Pretty much food tastes better and is more satisfying. In a way it could be like an eating disorder because cyclists bike to eat, and eat to bike. Now that I have a really nice kitchen, I’m really enjoying it. The Bertazzoni fridge came with an ice maker, and now I don’t know how I lived without one. The ice maker is not in the door and is built internally into a draw in the freezer.

Anyways I’m mucho glad that “Maggie” went crazy on the appliances. Now I’m spoiled. Also she went Breville crazy to with all the small appliances, and I’m glad she did. I’m double spoiled.

I’ve owned the Audi for 22 months and only put 10K miles on it. We go on day trips a lot, went to the Jersey Shore for a weekend, and we use it every few days. Pretty easy to know that this car will last a long time at this rate. The C10 will be a fun project. I think pretty much it will be like a piece of jewelry parked in the driveway.

To get to the Hot Rod Hotel you basically have to go past my house on the one-way-in: one way out. I see and hear all kinds of exotic cars, vintage cars, and muscle cars coming and going. Yesterday I saw a light blue Ferrari, and last week a Lotus.

A month’s stay at the Hot Rod Hotel costs $250.00 I heard.

Cal

ha, fooled You ALL and went...giggles

Hats off to Joe, Christian, & Cal for being there
Such Great fun. Lovely to see you all, spend Time together
it's been too long !

Camera Madness, Beer, Eclectic Conversations
as we dodged under our canopy, in between torrential down pours and sizzling hot temps

Wish one could post photos in this thread / not links
Will start a new Thread
'RFF Meet ups ... anywhere in the World, Any Year, Post yours"

Cheers & Thanks for a Wonderful Time !

it's been too long !

as we dodged under our canopy, in between torrential down pours and sizzling hot temps

Will start a new Thread

Helen,

It was really great to see you again. You missed all the heavy metal versions of 70’s tunes that happened after you left.

Devil Christian and I stayed to about 6:30 catching up.

I also want to shout out to our friend John who’s book “Sunstroke And Shadow” really-really impressed me.

John used very strong contrast and lighting to do some stunning color shooting. The editing was impressive and has evolved to a higher level. I think John’s work making books is paying off. I think very well done.

Christian and I talked about our different book projects. Pretty much editing takes a lot of skill and is the hardest part.

Cal

I secured a 4x5 Graphmatic, and I think I will secure a second one from Christian. Also Christian gifted me three Graflex 2 1/4x3 1/4 double sided “Press” film holders that came with a box.

I already own 10 2x3 Graphmatics for my Baby-Linhofs, so this is all useful. A while back I did a “Dan” and secured a bunch of film hangers for dip and dunk so I can do mucho sheet films in 3 1/2 gallon hard rubber tanks.

Know that Christian brought a slew of cool cameras and prototypes.

Helen loved the camera that I call “The Devil Christian.” Although I re-utilized a Linhof 4x5 back, a viewfinder, and a grip from another camera, pretty much to build the Devil Christian all I needed to buy was a lens. Christian supplied all the parts to make this 2 meter fixed focus 4x5 camera with a 28mm FOV.

Only took 55 minutes to drive because traffic was light. Going home it also was light traffic, but one of the southbound parkways was backed up for miles. All three lanes were closed.

I had a good day.

Cal

it's been too long !

Will start a new Thread

Great to see everyone. It was also good that you all already were there when I arrived so Cal didn't sit alone for an hour!
Helen, I hope you stayed dry walking to the train. I look forward to seeing some of your shots! Also if you liked Cal's crazy 4x5 let me know if you want me to build you one, and I'll look out for the right parts (minimal assembly required).

I of course only brought a bunch of weirder cameras that fit on my bike. I'll leave some of the real monstrosities for another time.
A note on the little Robot wind up camera. Sam brought one to what might have been the last Manhattan meetup before covid. After that I really wanted one.

Cal, maybe John will want to rename part two of "Sunburn and Shadows" to Sunstroke! I figured we saw so many of Johns blurb books over the years, it made sense to bring his real book.

I eventually managed to close out my tab after I was told the waiter walked off the job.
I also had an easy ride home as I took the direct route, and not the complicated google route. Hopefully we can do another one before the weather gets really bad.

Great to see everyone. It was also good that you all already were there when I arrived so Cal didn't sit alone for an hour!
Helen, I hope you stayed dry walking to the train. I look forward to seeing some of your shots! Also if you liked Cal's crazy 4x5 let me know if you want me to build you one, and I'll look out for the right parts (minimal assembly required).

I of course only brought a bunch of weirder cameras that fit on my bike. I'll leave some of the real monstrosities for another time.
A note on the little Robot wind up camera. Sam brought one to what might have been the last Manhattan meetup before covid. After that I really wanted one.

Cal, maybe John will want to rename part two of "Sunburn and Shadows" to Sunstroke! I figured we saw so many of Johns blurb books over the years, it made sense to bring his real book.

I eventually managed to close out my tab after I was told the waiter walked off the job.
I also had an easy ride home as I took the direct route, and not the complicated google route. Hopefully we can do another one before the weather gets really bad.

Christian,

I do miss John. We actually argued quite a bit. LOL.

I am a drama queen. I ended up closing my tab which included Joe’s bill and Helen’s. Even signing the credit card was complicated for our server, and this was even involved, but I ended up throwing him a twenty, and perhaps that was what he needed to run out and get his fix. Anyways, I don’t think I am being a creative delusional artist here, and my narrative I don’t think is far from the truth.

Oh the mystery, the drama, and the smut. Kinda entertaining how bad our server was. Then came the sequel, after our server left Dodge, another server attempted to deliver two food orders. Christian and I pretended and acted like clueless tourists when a delivery was attempted.

Cristian lied. In fact he said, I ordered food about an hour ago, it never came, I reordered, and again the food never came, so this is the third time I’m ordering my food. This was required to finally get his food from our likely strung out server who seemed to be on another planet.

Basically about two hours or more later the second and third order were attempted to be delivered by a replacement server. How did this get so complicated? Anyways it was entertaining and gave us great insight into the Pandemic, the sad state of the economy, the labor shortage, and how counter productive our “new” economy is.

With this new server, I was not lying when I told the replacement, “I did not order that food,” but technically Devil Christian did in fact order a second and third time. I’m a witness. Anyways my training in journalism sticks to the facts. Christian lied. LOL.

Jerome Powell, the lawyer made FED Chairman, would learn mucho about how screwed up the economy is by attempting to order food at this beer garden in Astoria with this server. Very sad, but also mucho entertaining.

Actually Joe and I arrived early at pretty much the same time, about ten minutes to twelve.

Also Helen, Christian is not kidding about minimal assembly. All I needed is to buy a lens. I bought a Schneider 90mm which is a 28mm FOV. In conversation over the phone when I mentioned I secured this lens Christian pointed me to some readily available enlarger lens mount that would be perfect for adapting the lens to a nozzle piece he also gifted me that he had laying around.

Remember that this is a fixed focus camera… I have mine set at two meters.

Let’s start a thread for a September Meet-Up.

The grand son will be born around “Labor” Day. Already he is kinda big. Did you know at the last month of gestation a baby gains about a pound a week? I did not know that. This is of concern because “The Critter” is so big that a C-Section has to be considered, and if a C-Section is performed then “The Creature,” the mother AKA “Maggie’s” daughter, will not be able to drive for a month.

Thankfully Maggie does not drive for the benefit and safety of the general public, so pretty much I might have to pick up and drop off my darling “Creature-Junior,” AKA the grand daughter, from school. Along with likely doctor’s appointments it could be a busy September. BTW the Creature-Junior is eight years old, I could also call her “Miss Bossy” because the name fits. Kinda spoiled and mighty entitled, but also very sweet.

Devil Christian is no good I tell you. Not only is he the epicenter for “Linhof Disease,” he s also still contagious and starting another pandemic electronically by sending me links of gear that is mucho tempting to buy.

I too think I “need” a Robot camera with the 50 shot capability for shooting the square. Would be great to have a 35mm FOV. Now I have to start doing research. What I love about this camera is the small size and the incorporation of an old Cine winder of a movie camera integrated into a small camera for a film transport. Not so large, perhaps a bit bigger than a pack of cigarettes, but with an oversized “Monster” knob for style and “Calzone” factor.

As Devil Christian explained, he bought the early version that you wind once, and then you have 50 shots. Kinda like an UZI that has a huge magazine. Also the camera is mucho dense and heavily built. Schneider German lens. Pretty much a weapon held in plain sight. I guess I now have GAS. “Christian is no-good,” I tell you, but he is also a Clever Devil.

The thing about Christian’s demeanor is he is not loud and annoying like the persona “Calzone;” in fact he is very polite, well mannered in a European kinda way, and to compound this he is rather soft spoken. Don’t fall for this, he is the devil in disguise. Keep away, he is trouble.

Cal

Cal, you should read up on the history of Robot, it is very interesting. It was invented in the 30's by Kilfit who sold the design to Berning who started the Robot company. Kilfit then started a successful accessories company, and in the 50's made highly regarded telephoto lenses. My model is the Star II Vollautomat (which means fully automatic). There is a later black version of this model called the Star 50, which was actually bought by the East German Stasi and built into diplomat suitcases for spying purposes. There are 24x36 rf models also, but eventually they gave up trying to compete with Leica. They ended up making electric winder versions with bulk film backs that were used in early traffic cameras. I remember our neighbor in the 80's showing me a speeding ticket he got. The ticket came with a square b+w photo of his Saab that I now know must have been from a Robot, probably with the 75mm Schneider lens they made for it. You would almost want to speed deliberately to get such a nice picture of your car!

btw. You should blame Sam, not me, if you get one of these. He made me do it!

haha, Too funny, the suggested 'new' Title for John's book 'Sunstroke'
I certainly felt like I was having one yesterday in between, the Sun & Heat, the dreadful service, and the massive downpours with ankle deep puddles, lol

I think I might be partly to blame for the server quitting...
When I got there, Cal & Joe said Have a drink, what will You have
I decided on a cider I never of and asked if it could be put in a Giuiness Glass Mug with lots of Ice. The server was totally baffled, complained no Guiness mug which I replied well any mug thats glass is fine
He comes back with a tall cider in a mug and a plastic cup with Ice
so I ran to the Bar got a new glass mug threw the ice in and the cider
I think it upset him...

Then You came, and it took an Eternity for You to place an Order, let alone get your Beer with an additional beer no one ordered and the Food never arriving ...
At least we all too busy having Fun and a sense of Humour about it !

Love a 4x5 but I fear it would just be a whim though I would love to walk around on the streets and shoot with that crazy monster... HUGE Grip, hood, VF
so intimidating yet Comical !

Next meet up Lets TALK about it ...

Cal, you should read up on the history of Robot, it is very interesting. It was invented in the 30's by Kilfit who sold the design to Berning who started the Robot company. Kilfit then started a successful accessories company, and in the 50's made highly regarded telephoto lenses. My model is the Star II Vollautomat (which means fully automatic). There is a later black version of this model called the Star 50, which was actually bought by the East German Stasi and built into diplomat suitcases for spying purposes. There are 24x36 rf models also, but eventually they gave up trying to compete with Leica. They ended up making electric winder versions with bulk film backs that were used in early traffic cameras. I remember our neighbor in the 80's showing me a speeding ticket he got. The ticket came with a square b+w photo of his Saab that I now know must have been from a Robot, probably with the 75mm Schneider lens they made for it. You would almost want to speed deliberately to get such a nice picture of your car!

Christian,

Yes it was Sam, but it is fun to blame you anyway.

Yes, I already have been researching Robot cameras. I kinda like the Royal 36 for the size, the format, and the fast shooting. The Cine shutter has proven durable.

I kinda love the possibility of getting a 50 Sonnar, and I like the idea of having a rangefinder. They say the base length is 6 CM and is mucho accurate. Small heavy, and fast.

Some quirks are loading, possible double exposures if you don’t keep the camera wound, no 1/1000 of a second exposure, slowing frame rate in burst mode. I forgot: no strap lugs.

I do favor the massive knob on your Vollautomat. It has mucho style and “Calzone Factor.”

Anyways Sam’s Robot I thought was cool, but it was your camera that gave me GAS. “You are no good,” I tell you. It is you and your camera that has made me suffer.

Know that I’m avoiding the old non standard 135 cassettes because I think this could be a camera that becomes an every-day-carry.

Been thinking about our lengthy discussion on book making, and pretty much this leads into a new creative direction of making limited edition books that are made of actual prints. This kinda leads to small editions that would be hand made by me. IQ is mucho important to me, and because my studio will have limited space my monster printing has to be curbed due to space constraints.

I can see me making small editions of my images that are real prints.

Cal

haha, Too funny, the suggested 'new' Title for John's book 'Sunstroke'
I certainly felt like I was having one yesterday in between, the Sun & Heat, the dreadful service, and the massive downpours with ankle deep puddles, lol

I think I might be partly to blame for the server quitting...
When I got there, Cal & Joe said Have a drink, what will You have
I decided on a cider I never of and asked if it could be put in a Giuiness Glass Mug with lots of Ice. The server was totally baffled, complained no Guiness mug which I replied well any mug thats glass is fine
He comes back with a tall cider in a mug and a plastic cup with Ice
so I ran to the Bar got a new glass mug threw the ice in and the cider
I think it upset him...

Then You came, and it took an Eternity for You to place an Order, let alone get your Beer with an additional beer no one ordered and the Food never arriving ...
At least we all too busy having Fun and a sense of Humour about it !

Love a 4x5 but I fear it would just be a whim though I would love to walk around on the streets and shoot with that crazy monster... HUGE Grip, hood, VF

Helen,

Lately I have been kinda crazy thinking about all kinds of things. If anything I’m considering too many things. Perhaps I have too many things going on and need to simplify life.

Just saying though that being playful and whimsical is kinda great. Would you rather be boring? LOL.

Anyways buying a new camera is kinda whimsical, kinda fun, and kinda exciting. I probably don’t need another camera, but I can blame it on Christian.

Cal

Christian,

I don’t have an EZ-Pass, so I get mailed pictures of my evil black Audi all the time.

Pretty much they use traffic cameras to collect “Tolls by Mail.”

Cal

This is my film class buddy Matt holding up the "point and shoot" 4x5 I built out of a broken Crown Graphic, a trashed 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor helicoid (F mount), and a 65mm Schneider Super-Angulon. I used some hardware store U bolts to guard the lens.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/304167-2/L1006284_E.jpg
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/310301-2/photo_1.JPG
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/310304-2/photo_2.JPG
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/310307-2/photo_4.JPG

This thing was killer with a couple of Grafmatics.

By the time I sold it, I had added an optional grip made out of a concrete float (trowel).

Phil Forrest

Yes, it does have style. Cal's of course is a bit more over the top than my original. Phil's camera looks practical because it probably was lighter, and with those brackets you could lock it up with your bike!

I was originally going to bring my Linhof 220, which is a rare black version with a right hand Linhof side grip. It didn't fit in the bag, so I brought the Robot instead. That Linhof is really great though. It is not as big, heavy and intimidating, but big enough. It has a lot of style!

The back story on the Linhof 220 is great. Pretty much Devil Christian bought it “as is” for little money as a project and a broken camera. The rangefinder was dead, and pretty much the film transport needed overhaul.

Then because he is clever and stubborn he fixed the camera.

It is a very cool camera, and I think I want one, but Linhof Disease at the moment remains dormant. Know that “Linhof-Disease” has no cure and reinfection can happen at any time.

Snarky Joe at a Meet-Up pretty much gave me a Linhof 4x5 rail camera. At that meet up I think I had my “Monster” book of prints, and I believe I took Christian’s advice and even had a hand truck to carry the book. So somehow Christian gave me at a meet-up almost all the parts required to build a camera, and Snarky Joe kinda pulls this Kolor Technika 4x5 rail camera out of his back pocket and dumps it on me, so I end up going home with two new Linhofs.

You can’t make this stuff up. While not recognized by the CDC “Linhof Disease” is real.

Cal

That Linhof 220 had no rf image. I opened it up and found the mirror missing, so I ordered another mirror. I remember Joe saying that the mirror should still be in there somewhere, because "where would it go?" I later was scale focus testing the camera with film when I had a strange bright reflection in the finder. It was the mirror that fell out of whatever crevice it was hiding in. It just needed some glue and an adjustment.

Back