New York August NYC Meet-Up 2021

Cal, it's sounding better and better, our Peekskill adventure. I'll do some homework, but you've already given us snippets of local history in this diary-thread, which I've been enjoying from the other side of the world.

Cal, it's sounding better and better, our Peekskill adventure. I'll do some homework, but you've already given us snippets of local history in this diary-thread, which I've been enjoying from the other side of the world.

Pete,

There is Kingston, the former capitol of New York. Part of that city is a fort; part is ehh, but it has this 4 story warehouse that is loaded with antique house parts and old stuff to the extent that it is a dangerous fire hazard; then there is a downtown that has a historic canal that brought somehow coal from Pennsylvania.

Newbourgh is another city across the Hudson from Beacon. This city has a redeveloping downtown and an interesting store called House Parts.

I say the cities along the Hudson are more interesting than the towns. More history and more of everything.

Cal

Morning Cal,

Foxglove on Rainy Back Deck by Nokton48, on Flickr

Daisies in the Rain Front Yard by Nokton48, on Flickr

First test roll of hand spooled 1992 vintage 70mm Kodak 400 Tri-X Professional Unperfed film. Rated at EI 400, extremely dark stormy rainy day on my back deck. Camera was Plaubel Makiflex Standard, lens is Bausch and Lomb Super Cinephor 159.1mm F2.0. A movie theatre projection lens intended for projecting 35mm and 70mm movie film in cinema houses. Film back is Graflex RH-50 18 shots bulk loaded. Film processed in D23 1:1 12 minutes at 74F in single reel Paterson dev tank. RC 8x10 print Arista [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE] Matte developed in Multigrade. Omega DII laser aligned 180mm black Rodagon lens. Camera was handheld at the Makiflex Standard's top speed of 1/125. I really like the "look" I am getting with this extremely unusual lens. It's quite a heavy rig so I get a gym workout to boot. I am really diggin' all this 70mm stuff at this point. 18 6x7 exposures fits into two Vue-All 70mm pages when cut into threes.

If you hooked one of these 6x7 RH-50 to Devil Christian I'll wager you would like it. More no money FUN

Morning Cal,

Foxglove on Rainy Back Deck by Nokton48, on Flickr

Daisies in the Rain Front Yard by Nokton48, on Flickr

First test roll of hand spooled 1992 vintage 70mm Kodak 400 Tri-X Professional Unperfed film. Rated at EI 400, extremely dark stormy rainy day on my back deck. Camera was Plaubel Makiflex Standard, lens is Bausch and Lomb Super Cinephor 159.1mm F2.0. A movie theatre projection lens intended for projecting 35mm and 70mm movie film in cinema houses. Film back is Graflex RH-50 18 shots bulk loaded. Film processed in D23 1:1 12 minutes at 74F in single reel Paterson dev tank. RC 8x10 print Arista [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE] Matte developed in Multigrade. Omega DII laser aligned 180mm black Rodagon lens. Camera was handheld at the Makiflex Standard's top speed of 1/125. I really like the "look" I am getting with this extremely unusual lens. It's quite a heavy rig so I get a gym workout to boot. I am really diggin' all this 70mm stuff at this point. 18 6x7 exposures fits into two Vue-All 70mm pages when cut into threes.

If you hooked one of these 6x7 RH-50 to Devil Christian I'll wager you would like it. More no money FUN

Dan,

Thanks for posting this.

I have a goal of shooting all of my film stockpile, so I can start over again and figure out where I want to wander.

My baby Linhofs becones.

Since you rated the 1992 Tri-X at 400 did you do anything in development to compensate for loss of some film speed?

I have some of this 70mm film I got from you. Pretty exciting…

Cal

Devil Cal,

The film I bought fresh from B&H when they closed it all out. No perforations, but the RH-50 doesn't care :cool: TXP but 400 EI, like 35mm Tri-X. What a score in 70mm. I also gave one stop more, shot lots of frames, used the calculated 400 EI to enlarge instead. But, it is maintaining it's speed, which I love. I did give it a bit of extra development, which did not hurt the negs. D23 is mucho cheapo (just water sulphite and metol) and it was raining HARD. Maki and Dano got soaked real good. Which felt good to me. light was blackish and lovely very dim needed F2.0

You have that Aviphot 200, I have a receipe I want to try. I bought 100 sheets of 4x5 Aviphot 200 from some Dude in Russia who cut it down. The recipe is two bath, Diafine-like in that respect, but used common chemicals, plus the secret ingredient, CD-4 Color Developer. This mega flattens the curve with Aviphot 200, and makes it play nice. I will send you the recipe. Not expensive to make

today listening to the Marketplace morning report, I heard that the Euro is effectively in parity with the US Dollar, the lowest it's been since fall 2002. I'm wondering if now is the time to purchase new European photography gear... Not for me I'm quite poor these days; it's just a question for the electrons out there.

Phil Forrest

today listening to the Marketplace morning report, I heard that the Euro is effectively in parity with the US Dollar, the lowest it's been since fall 2002. I'm wondering if now is the time to purchase new European photography gear... Not for me I'm quite poor these days; it's just a question for the electrons out there.

Phil Forrest
Phil,

It is true parity in the exchange rate between the U.S. dollar and Euro.

Understanding that the dollar is strong is helpful. One reason for this strength is because of the higher interest rates from the FED; another is the flight to safety because of the war in the Ukraine; another reason is that commodity prices have risen and commodities are priced in dollars; then if we understand or know what the banksters, hedge funds, and smart money is doing is hoarding cash so that in the future they can buy assets mucho cheap.

I believe your insight is true, but it is still early yet. Even if a recession already started, as recorded in a current slowdown, a recession won’t be declared until sometime next year. Also I believe the U.S. is best positioned economically, Europe has the drag on its economy compounded by lack of energy and energy independence, and China looks like it is heading even into a recession because of lock downs and lost GDP.

Fact is that it looks highly probable that we will have a world wide recession, but it is pretty clear the U.S. has and will have the strongest position. Europe is not looking so good, and China is not looking so good either.

I say, “Keep your ammo dry, and time is your friend.”

In today’s episode of “This Old Baby-Victorian” I had the oil burner serviced. I knew a pressure relief valve was bad and I would have to empty a 4 gallon tray twice a day until the plumber who was doing my bath and kitchen shut off a valve. This plumber told me that when the pressure relief valve goes south usually the fill valve is bad also. So they got replaced. The oil burner service guy taught me a lot; and I got a lot of info on how to bleed the radiators (just like bleeding brakes on a car), lifespan of the “coil” for the hot water, and how to best maintain and be prepared for upkeep.

Again my journalism skills were of use in asking the right questions, gathering facts and connecting the dots.

Anyways the time for bargain hunting is in the future and is perhaps begins next year. “Keep your ammo dry.”

Cal

P.S. Keep in mind the question if we have a world wide recession on how that might play out.

Back