New York August NYC Meet-Up 2021

I’m still about, but somewhat underwater with work. COVID really impacted my getting out and shooting. There was little breaks between meetings and site visits and it gave me an chance to shoot. The whole Zoom work model has me doing back to back to back meetings and at first seemed to be a good thing into a bit of a nightmare. And supply chain issues, chip shortages, have had a huge impact on getting projects done. Managing what you can do with what you can get takes a huge block of time every day.

Joe

Good to hear you're ok at least. Yes, many people who were using zoom at first loved it but then it seemed to take up more time than before. I can imagine the supply chain etc has been tough. Hang in there... I just kept seeing the first page of this thread and was wondering about you. Thank you for the update.

And Cal, I am glad you are enjoying retirement. Being a parent has been a time suck (but fun), but it has made more creative photographically because I have to find photos wherever I can. We are building a house in the city of Buin in Chile. As you can imagine, it is more expensive now than years ago. Still, we can build something for the equivalent of like $300,000 here that would be $1,000,000 plus in the USA. Woman factor of course plays into it ;) ...

Good to hear you're ok at least. Yes, many people who were using zoom at first loved it but then it seemed to take up more time than before. I can imagine the supply chain etc has been tough. Hang in there... I just kept seeing the first page of this thread and was wondering about you. Thank you for the update.

And Cal, I am glad you are enjoying retirement. Being a parent has been a time suck (but fun), but it has made more creative photographically because I have to find photos wherever I can. We are building a house in the city of Buin in Chile. As you can imagine, it is more expensive now than years ago. Still, we can build something for the equivalent of like $300,000 here that would be $1,000,000 plus in the USA. Woman factor of course plays into it ;) ...

John,

”Woman-Factor” is why men have shorter lifespans, I say. LOL.

So now I’m digging into and looking into a coil over suspension for the Rat-Rod where I can adjust ride and height. There is also a Tremac 5-speed tranny… and I think I want to eventually upgrade to a 292 I-6 engine. I’m thinking a 2 inch drop spindle for the front along with a coil over will allow 2-4 inch drop on the front that I can dial in.

Most people like the short bed trucks, but the longer wheelbase of the long bed has a smoother ride. Pretty big premium for short beds, but I think long beds are more practical as work trucks and for utility. Anyways I’m exploring a lot of possibilities while not wanting to go too crazy.

Being a grand parent is a lot of work. The past week we have had “Creature-Junior” because school for her is over, and her mom is a assistant principle, and the dad a special ed teacher, still have to head into work.

Monday appliances get delivered.

Next is the upstairs bath. Like Joe says there are all kinds of supply issues and a labor shortage. Work has slowed down, and I can’t see how the economy is growing.

Today we ran around shopping for bathroom fixtures, tiles and a quartz top. Had to get gas. A Mobile station wanted $6.49 a gallon for premium, I drove on and went to another where I normally go and paid $5.69 a gallon for premium. Filling up cost me $78.00. How crazy is that?

Cal

Not sure where the Chevy C-10 is going. I’m seeing how the 64-66 C-10’s are a great-great platform to build upon supported by a very large and strong aftermarket. My clean green long bed fleet side has a wonderful patina as a start.

The resto-mod can be mild, or it can get crazy, especially since as a Rat-Rod it will require little modification or no modification of the body, except a new bed.

Even with a replacement wooden bed there are lots of choices, and even a simulated wood version that is made of aluminum and has hidden fasteners for a clean install. The aluminum kit saves weight, has the look of sun bleached barn wood, and is a neat installation. I’m considering the aluminum bed, but then again stainless steel bed rails with finished red oak is neat in a traditional manner.

I love the idea of a 2 inch drop spindle on the front to start, and then having coil over shocks to have additional lowering capabilities as well as ride tuning capabilities. I’m turned off by air bags and the possibility of their failure and getting stuck. I think I want the rolling chassis to be low to the ground for low CG and to attempt to make the truck handle like a car as much as possible for my enjoyment.

I do think the 292 cubic inch (4.8 liter), a torque monster and stump puller, is the engine of choice for durability. The tuning I think will be for efficiency, so increasing the breathing with an Offenhauser intake manifold, which is designed for low end torque preservation is a better choice over a Clifford manifold. Cast iron headers for durability, and Fuel Injection for economy and a better power band.

Add a good air filter and HEI electronic ignition and call it a day.

I do like the idea of installing a modern Tremac 5-speed.

I like the idea of having a low slung truck that has good Auto cross handling, disc brakes on all four wheels, and a torque I-6 stump pulling engine for drivability along with floor mounted 5-speed with an overdrive.

I think wheels and tires options open up a lot with converting a 6-bolt pattern to a more open 5-bolt. Say goodby to the steel OEM rims. I think the limit here will be tire width on the front wheels because I’ll keep the non power manual steering, and the brakes will not have any power assist. I think I want disc brakes that are multi-piston with drilled and grooved rotors to make up for the lack of power assist.

For an idea of where I would like to go do a search on “Project Low And Slow” a resto-mod. They turbo’ed a 292 I-6 and made it spin at higher RPM’s, but that is too far for me. I’m not a drag racer, I’m building a fuel efficient cruiser that has mucho good handling and great brakes that remains a naturally aspirated simple truck built for reliability, durability and economy. The engine has a nasty tone that is evil and sounds like an aircraft engine. Very musical

Pretty much most of the same build using the same components, except no turbo, and no extensive head rework and valve work to make a higher RPM engine.

They also have a segment on “Low And Slow” about recovering and restoring the OEM bench seat in European leather. Don’t forget I own a Juki commercial sewing machine. Not sure if I want to add leather door panels like they did on Low and Slow.

Will likely have to add a posi-rear, but know that the axels have to be removed to install the rear disc brakes anyways.

Right now short bed trucks are held in favor, but I think sometime in the future long-beds will have their appeal. I think the longer wheelbase has its advantages. I know this because my first truck was a Jeep CJ-7, and then later a CJ-8 (Scrambler) that had about a foot longer wheelbase. The Scrambler had a smoother less choppy ride that was much more stable. The difference in wheelbases length between a short bed and a long bed is about a foot also.

So in my resto-mod Rat-Rod I’m going kinda counter trend. There is a lot of value added because of the patina (sun faded weathered paint) that occurs over time on an OEM factory paint, especially with little rust.

Anyways I want to spend my money only once, and adding the engine mods to the current 250Ci I-6 can all be recycled to a 292 upgrade making it a no-brained.

Cal

Today I took a break from being a house-slave and we did a road trip to Hudson. We visited Hudson about a year ago and Warren Street got more developed. Our reason to go was to scout out some antiques in this massive warehouse by the train station. We bought nothing, had a really nice brunch, and drove around the City to map it out.

Surprisingly just a block away from Warren Street, the business district, which is artsy and boutique, is kinda run down ghetto. Then there are some rather affluent parts. The disparity of wealth is very pronounced, and more so than Peekskill that has a nice mix.

The drive there was on the Taconic Parkway which is wonderful. On the way home we detoured to Rhinebach to visit their antique center and then drove home on Route 9 another pretty ride. The Audi gets about 27 MPG it seems doing 65-70 MPH and through my generous accelerations.

It seems I got engaged multiple times: once in the antique warehouse about my glasses; another time in an antique shop on Warren Street (again my glasses); and then by a gay couple in yet another antique store on Warren Street. Anyways one guy was John (number one) and we talked for a while and got to be friends. The there was John (number 2) and his partner Mike. We also made friends and engaged for a pretty long time.

In the six degrees of separation “Maggie” and John Number 2 had a mutual friend at Parsons.

Anyways making new friends and meeting and engaging deeply was the highlight of our day. The takeaway though from John number 1, John number 2, and Mike was that we are an interesting and attractive couple that really stands out. Maggie mentioned this to me and then I validated that this seems to be the case. Also Vanessa our agent seems to have a keen insight to how we stand out together and garner interest.

I saw two early 70’s Chevy C-10’s. One was a stock short bed Fleetside, but the other was a 1970 long bed Fleetside like mine that had a 4/6 inch drop front to rear to have a car like ride height. The stance seemed mucho low to me, and Maggie hated it. Oh well.

In my past I owned a 1980 Checker “Limo” that is a stretched version of a Checker “Marathon” or Checker Cab. A standard Checker had a wheelbase of 120 inches, and the “Limo” had a 129 inch wheelbase.

In contrast a short bed C-10 has a 115 inch wheelbase, and a long bed 127 inches.

My limo was basically built on a GM “X-Frame” and had a Chevy V-8, Turbo 400 tranny, and a 12 bolt posi rear. Pretty much it was a car body on a truck full frame. The point I’m trying to express is that pretty much the C-10 Longbed and my Checker Limo pretty much had nearly the same wheelbase.

Know that a Checker Limo was a rather limited production care: only about 200 were ever made. Wish I still had it because it would be worth a lot.

So I have an idea that using a 2 inch drop spindle on the front gets me where I want to be, but also installing a coil over suspension offers a way to add zero to another negative two inches to the ride height making the height adjustable and tunable. A bonus feature is that the dampening of the shocks is also tunable.

I’d be in heaven if I could get the C-10 to handle like the Checker Limo. It was a very smooth ride.

Cal

Tomorrow the appliances get delivered in the morning. I suspect my carpenter and other workers will show up to deal with the open jobs that need to be completed to finish the kitchen. I also have to drive to Somers to pick up an oiled bronze Kohler drain for the itches sink.

Back to being a house-slave again.

Ordered a new door for the front enclosed porch with side lights. Also a new wood exterior kitchen door so it can be stained to match the trim.

Cal

I looked into a coil over suspension and discovered that for me it kinda goes too far. Mucho expensive and really is made to make a truck for Autocross. Pretty much the truck is set so low that pretty much you can’t load the bed with anything.

My daydreaming got carried away, my mind wandered, and a learned some things.

I did learn that converting to a more modern 5 bolt lug pattern makes sense when I convert to disc brakes. This allows a wider wheel selection. Also because of the big rotors I will have to go with larger diameter rims that are at least 17 inches in diameter. The present OEM steel rims are 6 bolt, 15 inch diameter, and are only 6 1/2 inches wide. Makes sense to go 17 or 18 inches on the diameter and perhaps 8 1/2 inches wide.

Seems like I want only a mild 2/4 front to rear drop which will level the truck’s factory “rake,” but will still allow for the bed to carry loads. Nice thing is I still have the OEM factory ordered option of the single point helper leaf springs that will come into play when the bed is loaded.

Remember that the forensics point to that this clean truck was used and set up as a “Camper” with the optional “Step” bumper and “California” mirrors made for tall and wider payload. Anyways I got to look into this some more to see if the helper springs need to get a spacer block to offset the drop. Me thinks this likely is the case. Still pretty trick that I have the OEM helper springs, and they add versatility in a great way.

So I have floated back to earth and am grounded back into reality. Lowering the truck 2 inches on the front via new drop spindles is EZ-PZ and straight forward, the spindles have to be replaced to convert to disc brakes anyways.

On the rear the lowering requires new springs, and the truck came with a set of new springs and a complete set of new gas shocks. I suspect that the springs are for a 4 inch drop. I’ll call the old owner to confirm if fact.

So the old front springs are 56 years old, and even though the inline 6 is smaller and lighter than a V-8 one has to expect some sag so the front might have a 2 1/2 inch drop on the front. Oh-well, but know I could just replace the springs with new OEM fresh ones to level the “stance.”

I think I want to go a little crazy with the disc brakes and go multi-piston for a more advanced brake system. With 4-wheel disc I don’t need a power assist, and the large rotors will be grooved and drilled at this level.

The truck has manual steering. On my CJ-7 I had manual steering, and it required upper body strength to maneuver at slow speeds, especially doing things like parking. The power steering bracket for a 292 I-6 is said to be hard to find. The work around requires a limit on the width of the front tires to be around 225 or 235. Know that stock tire width is 215. Understand that 215’s look kinda skinny and that this truck will be a cruiser with small 250 I-6 so I think I can get away with 235’s on the front.

On the rear I can go a bit wider to gave more rubber touching the road, perhaps 265’s or 275’s.

I’m going to avoid the UBER low profile tires with UBER large diameter rims. I figure 17-18 inch diameter and having a good amount of sidewall. Perhaps for comfort I would want a 17 inch wheel, but for performance I would like an 18 inch for less sidewall. I think I favor a 17 inch with an 8 1/2 width. The truck will look more retro and period correct. Maybe if it were a short bed I’d favor a more sporty 18 inch.

Staging this upgrade gets complicated because the wheels and tires have to be “on-hand.” The brakes and drop get done also at the same time, with the disc brake conversion the rear axels have to be removed, and that would be the time to install any gearing change or install a posi-rear.

Know that the entire front end has been rebuilt already: new ball joints, new bushings, new idler arm and steering linkage.

The steering box is greasy, so if I have to change it out it makes sense to perhaps upgrade to power steering. If so then I can have the front tires match the width of the rear tires. I do like the idea of keeping the manual steering though… We’ll see…

So this Rat-Rod Resto-Mod is not so simple and kinda gets expensive fast. Lots of thought going into this because I want to only spend my money once. I need to remember and keep on track that this truck is being built as a cruiser that could be utilized as a work vehicle and daily driver.

The power and drivetrain upgrade will be further down the road, but the level of overbuild is thoughtful enough where if I decided to install a V-8 that was hot the truck would be ready for it, even though I will be using it as a cruiser with a mild engine for economy, efficiency, and durability.

”You can always go crazy,” I say. LOL.

Anyways living another dream. I always wanted a Jeep Scrambler, had one, put a 350 HP Corvette ZZ3 motor in it. This Rat-Rod I think is a much more mature project and I think is more practical.

Cal

The Italian Bertazzoni appliances are marvels of design. Mucho pretty. I just hope they prove to be durable. We’’ll see…

Plumber and carpenter today. We likely will have a sink, maybe two sinks, and a toilet in the Powder Room today. The fridge has an ice maker and the dishwasher tomorrow is likely.

I priced a overdrive tranny for the C-10 that would allow for a SBC (small block Chevy) that is total overkill that can handle 600 foot pounds of torque. I figure even though I intend to make it a low RPM high torque I-6 that any tranny upgrade should be mucho beefy for future possibilities. “Spend my money once,” I say, but the kit would cost about $4K.

Anyways that’s a lot of gas, and the three on the tree still works… In other words hold off, and let’s see where things go. Another daydream…

So anyways I like going crazy, I like my imagination, and I want to live in a world of possibilities. Like in street photography, sometimes amazing stuff happens.

WOW a deleted post. What is the smut? LOL. I guess this is the Internet. Oh-well.

Cal

re: why the deleted post?
Since Gear Whore and "overdrive tranny" can get by....
I dunno, Cal.;)

CG,

Sometimes people like me make mistakes and double post; then we delete the second post.

Anyways I just take note that this is different. Anyways I try to keep and maintain a safe place.

Kinda funny that in the past some people asked if they could attend a NYC Meet-Up if they shoot a SLR. LOL.

Here on RFF we love all cameras equally I hope. Also not only is there more to life than photography, the other side is that if you are a serious photographer it kinda permeates everything you do. Basically you can’t turn it off.

I make fun of my OCD like behavior, my attention to details, my addictive behavior, my hoarding, my nerdyness… Pretty much all photography related. Also when did going retro ever go out of style?

What I love and support is an open forum where everyone is welcomed. Pretty much a safe place. Why would anyone delete a post here?

Through this kitchen remodel I see another part of the world. Evidently my licensed plumber has a day job as a plumber, perhaps for benefits and health insurance, but working for my GC is a side hustle. These guys work hard and do long hours, they are not lazy slackers like me. Much respect. BTW my plumber is amazing and highly skilled. A young guy who does plumbing efficiently like as if a machine with no wasted effort. Not only is his work neat, he works fast. Like I said, “He is like a machine.”

Every day the kitchen looks more and more amazing. Pretty much it would not be an exaggeration to say it is approaching art. Like theater it is a collaborative art form of individuals. Anyways it is like art in that when you see and experience the kitchen it will be remembered and it leaves an impression.

As a photographer my way of viewing and experiencing this world I am not familiar with is rather profound and deep.

I would also like to appreciate the design decisions that “Maggie” made to unify things. It is like my truck, a resto-mod, a blend of old and new that retains its history, character and charm. Now when I look at those remodeling shows where they gut renovate and open up the cozy spaces I judge them harshly. I’m glad we did not go there. We found beauty in what already existed.

How is the above not photography related?

Cal

Stove backsplash (white Subway tile) is being installed. Brown grout will be used when cured. I have today to get the moldings stained for the powder room because the plumber comes again tomorrow.

We have a new fridge operating, running water, and a stove. The Bertazzoni appliances are mighty beautiful.

After much consideration and mucho obsessive thinking storms are brewing in my brain. The 5-speed tranny kit that costs $4K can easily handle the power and torque of a blue printed 383. I always wanted a 383, which is a SBC (small block Chevy 350 block fitted with the crank from a 400 cubic engine for a longer stroke).

Know that the adage that “Snarky Joe” would use is, “There is no replacement for displacement,” and besides the added power pretty much the bore and stroke is “square,” meaning the same which promotes torque.

So to make this happen means saving a lot of money and economizing because I want to build one of my “Monsters.”

The numbers are kinda crazy, about 430 HP and about 500 foot pounds of torque. The 1966 Chevy C-10 only weighs 3.5K pounds, and in fact the 2015 Audi A4 weighs more. More horsepower than one HP per ten pounds of weight, making my Rat-Rod a remarkable “Muscle Truck.”

Call me an old man, but I will avoid slamming the C-10. I want it to still be able to work and carry payloads or tow. A 2/4 drop and perhaps 16 inch rims with 2XX/70/16 tires and call it a day.

Anyways to pull this off I need to keep the I-6 going for a while with the three-on-a-tree to save money.

Anyways this is my new plan. Perhaps not so crazy, pretty feasible, but I have to think long-term to justify.

Cal

436 HP/443 Foot Pounds. 10.0:1 compression requires 91 octane. 383 Cubic Inches (stroked 350 with 400 crankshaft)

There is a package deal that is a long block and the Tremec 5-speed with a hydronic clutch. Engine is Dyno tested.

Not inexpensive, but there is a saying I co-opted from another forum, “The price of cool is not cheap.”

We’ll se how this plays out.

I have to polish and prep the “Squatty-Potty” that “Maggie” dislikes. It is retro and a small toilet that lays low to the ground. It came with the house. Tomorrow it will get installed.

Had to stain all the bathroom moldings ahead of the plumber’s visit.

I caramelized onions for some grilled burgers on the new Bertazzoni stove. There is a huge difference in performance with my copper frying pan. First the pan heats faster than ever, then the heat seems to be more uniform, and it seems like not only did I have more control over the cooking, but also cooking took less time. Our old stove was kinda fresh and not a Cheapo, but you really can’t compare the build quality, nor the performance.

The subway tile installed for the backsplash used full tiles to span in between the cabinets and the wall. Very limited amount of cutting required, and only the “bullnose” required cutting for the alternating stagger of rows. A really neat installation that looks so clean. Grouting and the hood this Saturday.

Lots and lots of loose ends need to be completed to finish the job. I have to make a “punch list.” Next is the upstairs bath.

Cal

The forensics reveal that the “Squatty-Pottie” dates back to March 24,1976. The date is stamped on the inside of the tank lid.

Funny thing is that “Maggie” still uses the upstairs bathroom sink for washing dishes. Happened a few times, and I remind her that we have a working kitchen sink.

I did not mention that the 383 has fuel injection. I imagine that a 383 would last a long time because the motor would not get stressed because it would have a great power to weight ratio.

The cost of a new truck is huge, so building a crazy truck is kinda justifiable even though it too would be expensive.

Cal

7 main bearings always wins over 5 for longevity. Better fuel mileage as well.
Eventually, most people will be riding bicycles and walking, regardless how efficient personal automotive transport gets.

Phil Forrest

7 main bearings always wins over 5 for longevity. Better fuel mileage as well.
Eventually, most people will be riding bicycles and walking, regardless how efficient personal automotive transport gets.

Phil Forrest

Phil,

Thanks for the thought. I too have not forgotten the 292 staged upgrade. In fact it ends up being more practical. Warm up the 250 Ci with a Holly Sniper fuel injection, add HEI electronic ignition, cast iron headers, and an Offenhauser intake manifold; then recycle and transfer all the upgrades to the 292 Ci.

EZ-PZ and less money.

Also I’m thinking of just keeping the C-10 stock height to keep it a truck. Seems that lowering compromises payload capacity as well as towing capacity. I have to ask myself why lower the truck, unless I want to make it more car like.

I think the forward thinking tripped me up because of the disc brake upgrade involves changing out the spindles and could involve lug pattern and wheel size.

Anyways nothing wrong with a stock truck suspension. I have to check, but I think I will add sway bars to improve the handling. They say this makes a big difference.

Anyways thanks for having my back… Also low RPM means longevity. I guess I will see if a 5-speed is in the future. $4K for the kit is a lot of money.

As a resto-mod this 66 is a very cool truck.

Cal

I'm just thinking "why spend that kind of money in this economy?"
I desperately want to fix my 72 Benz but can't afford it right now. If I could afford it, I can't afford to drive it with diesel prices hitting close to $7/gal. Granted, it gets better fuel mileage than most modern non-hybrid cars out there, but I just can't do it. Also, if I could afford it, should I? That's an entirely different question and is very subjective. We can barely afford to feed the Ford Fiesta and thank goodness we don't have to commute. The Benz would just be a toy at this point, so for me it's not really something which should be considered.
These days I'm all for practicality. If you have a cool old truck, I'm willing to bet simply making it work reliably would be enough. You could get a new or refurbished head, have the block milled, port match the manifolds, change out your bearings and seal it all up. It'll probably work for another 50 years as long as you keep the coolant topped off and put in good oil regularly. There is no shame in a 3-speed transmission. Drum brakes have worked fine for heavy equipment since the days of the very beginning of personal automobiles. I used to own a 1978 International Harvester Scout II, which was like a Ford Bronco on incredible hulk juice. It had a 345 V8 and was a complete off-road monster that also weighed 4,300 lbs empty. On the freeway, it handled well, because I put the proper size tires on it and it stopped very well because I did the maintenance on the 4-wheel drum brakes.
My grandparents on my dad's side were US Forest Service traveling campground hosts for the last 25 years of their lives together. Grandpa hitch-hauled a 25 foot trailer behind an old late 70s F250 (non-5th wheel) and never had a problem stopping when necessary; this while traversing some of the steepest mountain passes in the US. I guess I'm saying that changing the brakes to discs (while completely altering the handling of the truck) is one thing to do just because, but not something to do out of necessity. Adding thicker sway bars will help prevent body roll, but you also have to ask "what will this truck be used for?" If it's a show truck, go for it. If it's a work truck, be that CF who saved money and make it work reliably and work well, fix what needs fixing, and use it. It will never be an autocross vehicle, and there are only two paths for it: restoration to working condition or complete modification to a show truck. Once it's a show truck, you're not going to want to drive it and certainly not going to want to drag lumber, paver stones, or a canoe into the bed. It's like folks who buy a Leica only to put it in a bank vault due to some perceived value. A camera is only worth the photographs it makes, otherwise it's less valuable than the same weight in fresh fruit.

Phil Forrest

I'm just thinking "why spend that kind of money in this economy?"
I desperately want to fix my 72 Benz but can't afford it right now. If I could afford it, I can't afford to drive it with diesel prices hitting close to $7/gal. Granted, it gets better fuel mileage than most modern non-hybrid cars out there, but I just can't do it. Also, if I could afford it, should I? That's an entirely different question and is very subjective. We can barely afford to feed the Ford Fiesta and thank goodness we don't have to commute. The Benz would just be a toy at this point, so for me it's not really something which should be considered.
These days I'm all for practicality. If you have a cool old truck, I'm willing to bet simply making it work reliably would be enough. You could get a new or refurbished head, have the block milled, port match the manifolds, change out your bearings and seal it all up. It'll probably work for another 50 years as long as you keep the coolant topped off and put in good oil regularly. There is no shame in a 3-speed transmission. Drum brakes have worked fine for heavy equipment since the days of the very beginning of personal automobiles. I used to own a 1978 International Harvester Scout II, which was like a Ford Bronco on incredible hulk juice. It had a 345 V8 and was a complete off-road monster that also weighed 4,300 lbs empty. On the freeway, it handled well, because I put the proper size tires on it and it stopped very well because I did the maintenance on the 4-wheel drum brakes.
My grandparents on my dad's side were US Forest Service traveling campground hosts for the last 25 years of their lives together. Grandpa hitch-hauled a 25 foot trailer behind an old late 70s F250 (non-5th wheel) and never had a problem stopping when necessary; this while traversing some of the steepest mountain passes in the US. I guess I'm saying that changing the brakes to discs (while completely altering the handling of the truck) is one thing to do just because, but not something to do out of necessity. Adding thicker sway bars will help prevent body roll, but you also have to ask "what will this truck be used for?" If it's a show truck, go for it. If it's a work truck, be that CF who saved money and make it work reliably and work well, fix what needs fixing, and use it. It will never be an autocross vehicle, and there are only two paths for it: restoration to working condition or complete modification to a show truck. Once it's a show truck, you're not going to want to drive it and certainly not going to want to drag lumber, paver stones, or a canoe into the bed. It's like folks who buy a Leica only to put it in a bank vault due to some perceived value. A camera is only worth the photographs it makes, otherwise it's less valuable than the same weight in fresh fruit.

Phil Forrest

Phil,

You know me. I can get a bit crazy, but I see your point that I bought it to have a truck, and I should keep it a truck for its utility. It saves lots of wear and tear on the A4 which I want to drive a long time.

As a nearly OEM truck it in great condition it is not an exaggeration that it was a lucky barn find. The body, the lack of rust, and the overall condition is already a great statement about a resto-mod.

“Maggie” is insisting on a disc brake upgrade for safety reasons.

The valves are burnt from unleaded gas use. The last time the C-10 was on the road was 2007, and the 147K miles on the title can not be right when the odometer reads 60K, this truck never turned over the odometer twice.

I think someone at the DMV thought a 1966 truck can’t have just 47K miles on it and added a 1 as a pre-fix thinking the mileage was 147K. Then the truck was run down for 13K miles sometime before I bought it. My story kinda makes sense because of the OEM condition and how original the truck is.

Also I think I am blessed because it has the single point helper leaf springs to carry a load. The “California” mirrors suggest this truck was ordered and purchased to be a “camper” because it is equipped for one.

There is lots of oil burning, I think because it needs a valve job, but the bottom end of engine should still be strong.

Anyways I think you are right: it is a very nice truck as is. Granted it will be an old man’s truck, but guess what: I am an old man. LOL.

I already love it.

Cal

Also I think I am blessed because it has the single point helper leaf springs to carry a load. The “California” mirrors suggest this truck was ordered and purchased to be a “camper” because it is equipped for one.

Cal

Cal,
I think you need a restored Airstream of the same vintage to go with it!
We went to the Louis Armstrong house in Corona last week (tiny but highly recommended). They preserved the interiors with some of the coolest early 70's wall papers I have seen in a long time.

Cal,
I think you need a restored Airstream of the same vintage to go with it!
We went to the Louis Armstrong house in Corona last week (tiny but highly recommended). They preserved the interiors with some of the coolest early 70's wall papers I have seen in a long time.

Devil Christian,

Our house is becoming a bit of a tourist attraction lately. I caught a woman in our dead end who got out of her car to check out our front-garden with the pergola and patio. The space between the kitchen rear porch and the pergola is like an outdoor living room, but the unintended consequence is that it seems to be too inviting.

The hill-billy culture up here means that almost everyone in the “hood” knows we are remodeling and have a building permit. Then again how can you not notice “Calzone” making his spec-TIC-Cals creating mucho piles of garbage, and doing things like staining or stripping doors in the driveway, while moving the lawn with an unmotorized push mower. Of course I bare a naked chest basking in the sun, showing off my 15-16 year old body. Then I complain when Maggie takes notice that I have a “Stalker.” LOL

”I was just minding my own business,” I say…

Earlier this week a neighbor from another street came by on his Vespa like scooter and was just admiring the house. Pretty much it is now a cute house instead of a run down one.

The compressor for the mini-splits is part of the shortages we are experiencing. Yesterday had an episode of “Hysterical Woman Syndrome” because my woman (“Maggie” hates that expression and prefers “Partner” because we live in sin unmarried) had reached her limit of patience.

The “Squaty-Potty” is so small that the tank is downsized. The plumber had to move the toilet because the plumbing inspector demanded that it had to be at least 15 inches from the exterior wall, but he set it too far from the wall using the distance for a more modern American “Throne.” The result is he has to move the plumbing for the toilet 3 1/2 to 4 inches.

So now Maggie really hates the Squatty-Potty which I love. She says she is into recycling, so I point out how I’m recycling. Her idea of recycling is buying used furniture at Sotherby’s (our living room chairs for instance), but meanwhile I have to sort through the recyclables. What is so complicated about separating paper from plastic? It only gets complicated when you have a PhD and overthink everything.

So how crazy was that this mistake was a tripping point for a woman to go crazy. Anyways I understand how things got dragged out, and there have been many difficulties that we all struggle with, but going crazy does not help.

Meanwhile I try to problem solve, stay organized, and keep things moving forward. Even though I have a GC, I kinda am the on site manager, Maggie the customer flipped the switch yesterday, and filed a complaint with the Site Manager.

“Poor Calvin,” I say. I can understand the frustration, but Maggie is not patient, and I think a true artist has an unlimited amount of patience. Look at the life I have now after 4 decades of planing and sacrifice. I escaped poverty… I’m talking delayed gratification in a big way.

Sometime in mid-July will be a baby shower for “The Creature” who is Maggie’s daughter. The “Critter” that is expected to be born close to Labor Day is a boy. The “Creature-Junior” (grand daughter) is pretty excited. Anyways I can see why a deadline is being imposed on the “Site Manager.” I thought I was retiring, but I have the toughest job in the world and the impossible task of trying to keep a woman happy.

The kitchen and powder room are impressive. You have to know that I’m proud of it. “Maggie” designed it, but I have a lot of skin in the game.

Also know that next week we will get an estimate on the bath upstairs. I now kinda get the “Dugal Student Discount” at all my GC’s suppliers. Back when I was a student at FIT I happen to do something involving Dugal’s services like perhaps getting some color slides developed, and I got a student discount. So once in the system as a student, my discount never went away. Presently I have this same type of relationship where I get contractor discounts. Of course since I’m a bad boy I will continue to exploit this sick-E-A-tion, “Don’t tell anyone,” and it is OKAY to spank me because I like being a bad boy. LOL.

I feel like I’m being a lot more like you with all these unlimited open projects that are ongoing. How did that happen? I’m really excited about pulling the head and getting a valve job performed so I can make the 1966 C-10 a “driver. Maggie’s brother-inlaw’s brother has a auto service shop and will hook me up with the specialist. I guess part of the hill-billy identity is having a pickup.

I decided to stay counter trend. My resto-mod will stay at OEM height with the rear raked about 2 inches. Any lowering will be honest because of sagging springs. I don’t think my truck has sway bars, and for handling and safety I will add them, but pretty much the suspension stands pat and is good-to-go. Changing over to disc brakes requires new spindles though.

I am also sticking with retro 6-lug wheels, and I intend on keeping the white steel OEM rims that are 15 inch by only 6.5 wide. These are considered too narrow and are considered “limited” but kinda go with the “Old-Man” styling of the truck. Basically I’m being hip by going counter trend. Everybody seems to lower or slam their truck so it stands out. What I promote is how clean and OEM my truck is, and after 56 years it is hard to find a truck that is so OEM.

Cal

Back when I had a 1993 Jeep Cherokee, I consulted with a fluid engineer (who happened to be the guy who sold me the Jeep) about maximizing fuel mileage. The Cherokee had the awesome 4.0L AMC inline 6 cylinder engine, known for extreme longevity, but not known for great fuel economy. This was back right at the beginning of our second military field trip to Iraq and gas prices shot up over $4.00 in California (adjusted for inflation it was still more expensive then than it is now.) Anyway, the seller was also a designer of supercharger systems and had been contracted by Shelby, so he knew his stuff. He explained to me that thinking about the engine as a pump is what is key. So after schooling me on some airflow knowledge, he recommended that I hook up a vacuum gauge direct from the intake manifold to measure efficiency. I did that then he showed me where the "vacuum sweet spot" was for volumetric efficiency and I started using the gearbox a lot more to keep the vacuum signal to the gauge as steady as possible. What this taught me was that even in a truck with a mid-size engine, and a body that is built like a literal box, I could get decent fuel mileage. I drove back and forth from central California to New Mexico a few times and up to the Seattle area as well. I maxed out fuel economy in that Cherokee regularly at 30-32mpg, because I drove slower and I used my vacuum gauge + gearbox + RPM as a speedometer instead of blindly just driving. As cyclists, we feel wind resistance on our bodies build even after a few mph headwind; in a vehicle this really takes hold above 38mph, and builds logarithmically, if I recall correctly. This is how 55mph was established as a "fuel efficient" speed limit back in the 70s, but it was done by eggheads in a lab, not by American drivers. The DOT found by the early 90s that only a few percent had been saved by the speed limit, but that was only because people weren't maniacs who were using their heads and ears as an engine management system using a vacuum gauge. Most people just put the car in gear and drive.
I think I drove that Jeep across the continent maybe 4 or 5 times. I really liked that truck and wish I could find another. Chrysler steel and paint during the XJ era was not well suited for any kind of salt exposure and these days most of the XJ Cherokees have built-in air conditioning a-la rust holes.
One of these days I want to find a Willys wagon to bring back to operating condition and drive.

Phil Forrest

Back