New York August NYC Meet-Up 2021

Devil Dan,

58/1.2 seems just like a Noct-Nikkor. Any hand ground ASPH glass? Low comma?

Cal

Morning Cal,
58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor is more like the non-Noct Nikkor F1.2, but it is lovely and fun to look through. When I have used it recently it's always wide-open. Recently it has paired well with Ilford Pan F+ and Eastman 5231 Plus-X (sibling of XX).

You are a lucky dog to have the Noct Nikkor. ;)

John,

The truck kinda fell from heaven. It picked me. In fact the seller wanted to sell to me because he would see it around and he knew I was into cars. The seller also lives in Peekskill.

“Maggie” and I on one of our after dinner walks did that video, and the next thing we know we see the for sale sign go up on this truck we admired sitting at a wheel alignment shop about a mile from our house.

It was as if divine intervention happened.

Cool.

I think you would shoot these old houses I photograph that oddly have storefronts as additions here in the burbs. Kinda ghetto and odd, but work from home is an old idea.

I think I would like that.

Retirement is a bit over rated. I’m working harder than ever, and I am mucho busy.

“Maggie” gave a talk tonight to aid the Peekskill Library. Met a woman who was a partner at D-Luoit, the accounting firm, but also formally was the Mayor of Peekskill right after the housing crisis.

Cal

But what about that 8x10"!!!! ;)

Morning Cal,
58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor is more like the non-Noct Nikkor F1.2, but it is lovely and fun to look through. When I have used it recently it's always wide-open. Recently it has paired well with Ilford Pan F+ and Eastman 5231 Plus-X (sibling of XX).

You are a lucky dog to have the Noct Nikkor. ;)

Devil Dan,

My Noct-Nikkor was CLA’ed by Sammy’s in LA. I love this lens for digital and analog.

A Noctilux has sharper corners, but the Noct-Nikkor does not have the Noctiluxes light fall off in the corners. Hand ground ASPH element.

Cal

...and I'm envious...so much :)

Robert,

Like Devil Dan says, “I am a lucky dog.”

Looks like I need to get the truck into the garage till next year, and then I’ll drop about $8K into it.

MFM’s idea of fuel injection is a great idea. About $1.3K for a Holley system.

Cast ductile iron headers about $327.00.

Offenhauser 4 barrel intake manifold $600.00.

Electronic ignition.

New BFG T/A tires. Likely 225 width front and 255 rear. Profiles TBD. I recycle the OEM steel rims with the dog dish hub caps for the mucho retro vibe.

4 wheel disc brake upgrade with a 2/4 drop/lowering front and rear so the truck sits level.

$1300.00 for a new wood bed made of red oak with stainless steel bed strips.

Figure even with spending all this money I could always sell and get my money back or make a profit. These old trucks sell for big dollars.

Also “Maggie’s” brother inlaw’s brother has a auto repair business. I talked with Harry this weekend down at the Jersey Shore. Of course he has a shop that will overhaul my Cylinder head.

So instead of 12-18 MPG city/highway I can likely get a respectable 15 city and maybe 20 highway.

I also figure the 4 coil spring suspension will ride like a Jeep Gladiator, but of course the Jeep Gladiator is “bloated” and weighs 4500 pounds. The C10 only weighs under 3500 and has a longer wheelbase. With the lower height the ride will be more car like.

How cool is it that the condition is so great that I don’t have to restore the body? How cool is it that the original factory OEM finish is still intact. I’m afraid that if I use a rubbing compound that I’ll loose the vintage patina on the finish that looks so great.

Owning an old house (1912) is very cool, but the old truck in the driveway is mucho cool. Parked in front of the house, in the shade of the monster Japanese Maple surely is a statement about survival and being built to last.

Cal

I was at the Jersey Shore for a few days. Pretty much not many people of color. I did not feel uncomfortable, but it reminded me of my Lawn-Guy-Land upbringing.

Been a while since I was on the beach. The undertow is mighty strong and a sandbar not far from waters edge created a trough where migrating Blues and Bass could be caught right off the beach. Next time I go I’ll have a surf rod.

Anyways a nice break from being a house-slave.

Tomorrow we begin again. A guy will be coming to paint the kitchen and powder room. The backsplash behind the stove will get installed (white subway tiles). Today I bought the grout (two colors), and more Great Stuff the spray foam to fill gaps around the windows and doors.

Sometime this week the floor guy will come by to refinish the kitchen floor I rescued. Wednesday the countertop guys come by to make the “template” to cut the quartz countertop.

Meanwhile “Maggie” has a business trip to Atlanta, so I will have the house to myself.

Cal

Turn that amp up to 11!

John,

I don’t need an amp to annoy “Maggie.” I can play one of my acoustics. LOL.

The painter finished up the last of the sparkling, so I decided to go for a ride. I used the Ti IBIS that is currently set up ass a single speed.

Headed down to Croton (Where NYC gets its water) and headed back north uphill through rolling hills. The hills on a single speed is pretty much a grunt. I stand rocking the bike and using my upper body to basically use my entire body as a long lever to grind up long hills. Definitely a strength workout.

I explored George’s Island which is a Westchester Park where a brick industry was started that lead to the Hudson Valley being at one time the the brick making capitol of the world. I did not know this history. Anyways a pretty big underutilized park that is hidden away. “Don’t tell anyone about it.” They have a boat ramp, and it is really close to my house.

So don’t tell “Maggie” but it would be very cool to have a boat. I already have a truck to pull a trailer, so it kinda makes sense to get a boat. Trailering it keeps the costs down, but it would have to fit in my short driveway.

So I did a few doglegs towards the river and climbed the hills that descended. My legs will be like rubber I suspect for a day or two. I ended up heading to the Peekskill river walk and ended up at the train station before heading home. Pretty much a good 2 hour loop that is rolling hills along with long climbs.

Cal

Some C10 owners resto-mod their trucks, but they leave the body unrestored as a statement. I actually find this hill-billy expression that is kinda fugly very cool. Pretty much they care more about the mechanical verses the cosmetic. Some of the trucks are rather beat looking, and these are rather bold in their deeper meaning.

My truck has the original factory OEM paint, and is in remarkable condition. The green color is faded with the gloss flattened for a weathered look. Pretty much the beauty here being stated is that “I’m original, and I’m still a pretty truck.”

The small rear window is getting rarer. Seems like trucks that came with smaller rear windows get a popular update to the larger “Panoramic” windows that were a factory option. I think the smaller window looks more 40’s and 50’s style and is the more retro look. I think in the future the smaller window will be rarer, and at some point will be the one that is most desired. Anyways I love the retro look of the small window.

“Muy retro,” I say.

Cal

but it would be very cool to have a boat.
Cal

Boat; holy cow. A Boat! What would a Calzone boat be. I know you it would not be simple...

Really a BOAT!! Are we really at that point. Your truck barely fits in your driveway. Maybe a folding kayak?

Joe

Cal, just get a canoe. It's totally you. Excellent for the core and upper body, good for breathing, provides another mode of transportation should the zombie apocalypse arrive. Even a heavy 18' Grumman can still be picked up by one person, and if you're handy, you can just lever it up the back of the pickup into the bed.
I have an inflatable Sea Eagle catamaran/kayak. I'd rather have a 16' - 18' Grumman, but my tiny little car is smaller than both of those boats, so the inflatable works best. It fits in the boot and takes about 8 minutes to inflate. If you want to remain on the cheap, don't get a boat with a motor, the titling/registration/fees will make it no fun. Then you have to carry around cans of gasoline which is dangerous and stinks. The canoe allows you to paddle wherever you want, either solo or with a partner. A good canoe can hold about 600 - 800lbs of gear if you wanted to do your own expedition. A buddy of mine and I are floating around (pun intended) the idea of getting a couple folding bikes, a couple bike trailers, and taking the Sea Eagle from the Monongahela all the way to wherever we like, maybe across the continent. Not unlike a 21st century expedition along the Lewis and Clark route. We'd put the inflatable cat on a bike trailer when we needed to go over mountains and then put the folding touring bikes on the cat when we're on waterways. An incredible and difficult journey, to be sure, but it could be done. My Sea Eagle can hold almost 700lbs, which includes passengers. Both of us weigh about 350 combined, so that leaves 300lbs with capacity to spare.

Phil Forrest

Boat; holy cow. A Boat! What would a Calzone boat be. I know you it would not be simple...

Really a BOAT!! Are we really at that point. Your truck barely fits in your driveway. Maybe a folding kayak?

Joe

Joe,

You guys don’t daydream like a kid anymore. I never stopped. I know that a boat is the most impractical money pit invented.

The best was being a friend of a very wealthy man who not only owned a plane but also a 30 foot Blackwatch with a 15 foot beam ant twin Volvo turbo diesels.

Anyways I miss fishing, and don’t forget I was a “Sharpie” and also a “Pin-Hooker.”

Anyways I love eating fish and seafood.

Cal

Cal, just get a canoe. It's totally you. Excellent for the core and upper body, good for breathing, provides another mode of transportation should the zombie apocalypse arrive. Even a heavy 18' Grumman can still be picked up by one person, and if you're handy, you can just lever it up the back of the pickup into the bed.
I have an inflatable Sea Eagle catamaran/kayak. I'd rather have a 16' - 18' Grumman, but my tiny little car is smaller than both of those boats, so the inflatable works best. It fits in the boot and takes about 8 minutes to inflate. If you want to remain on the cheap, don't get a boat with a motor, the titling/registration/fees will make it no fun. Then you have to carry around cans of gasoline which is dangerous and stinks. The canoe allows you to paddle wherever you want, either solo or with a partner. A good canoe can hold about 600 - 800lbs of gear if you wanted to do your own expedition. A buddy of mine and I are floating around (pun intended) the idea of getting a couple folding bikes, a couple bike trailers, and taking the Sea Eagle from the Monongahela all the way to wherever we like, maybe across the continent. Not unlike a 21st century expedition along the Lewis and Clark route. We'd put the inflatable cat on a bike trailer when we needed to go over mountains and then put the folding touring bikes on the cat when we're on waterways. An incredible and difficult journey, to be sure, but it could be done. My Sea Eagle can hold almost 700lbs, which includes passengers. Both of us weigh about 350 combined, so that leaves 300lbs with capacity to spare.

Phil Forrest

Phil,

Seems like you give the best advice. You recommended an old C10 and now I own one. The route I’m taking with the truck is a “Rat-Rod” where I enjoy the patina of an aged 56 year old truck that has a remarkable OEM finish that held up well through the decades.

I worked hard today cleaning out the garage to make room for the truck (Green Machine). It will barely fit.

My resto-mod will be disc brakes, electronic ignition, fuel injection, and a new bed (red oak and stainless steel). Of course I’ll pull the head and send to Harry (“Maggie’s brother inlaw’s brother, who will send it to his head shop). In the end the C10 will get a 2/4 front to rear drop and will have a level stance. Of course a new set of BFG T/A’s for tires, profiles and widths TBD.

MFM sent me some info on another HEI electronic ignition.

I kinda know to save all the old parts. Also know that down the road all my resto-mods are good to go if I ever move to the 292 cubic inch I6 from the base 250 Ci.

I can see where I could always get my money back on this truck. For someone that wants to do a full off chassis restoration this would be a good C10 because it still is so OEM. All the mods I’m doing are bolt ons that can be reversed. The only mod is the under bed gas tank that is not factory original.

Anyways I kinda drive Maggie crazy. Know she is an anxious nervous Nellie. She is so anxious that she deems that she is unfit to drive.

Anyways the Audi really surprised me. Know that I added a container of Techron, a fuel additive made by Chevron, that is a fuel system cleaner and octane booster.

Pretty much I drove from Peekskill to Lavalette (Jersey Shore) at moderate high speed (70-75 MPH) for 250 miles round trip on half a tank of gas. I know the Audi has a 14 gallon tank, and I’m pretty sure the computer advanced the timing a lot,

Yesterday’s 2 hour ride punished me. Today I was kinda drained of strength, I went for another ride to today, but shorter.

I discovered my friend A.J. at the local bike shop has a 1955 1/2 Chevy truck that he has been working on for a decade. He secure a truck fro Death Valley with no rust, F-body independent front suspension (80’s Camaro/Firebird) 350/350 fuel injected Corvette engine, anyways mucho crazy show car that he says when completed worth around $150K.

Know that A.J. Back in the day was a down hillier in the NORBA circuit.

Anyways the idea of getting a boat is a dream, but it seems like I’m already living the dream with this awesome C10 that is remarkably clean, maybe too clean to be called a Rat-Rod.

Nippon called me and left a message. The camera has been tested every day for a week. I should be good-to-go. I miss this M3-DS. I love it with my version one 50 Rigid with the narrow focus ring.

I use the cylindrical 50 Elmer hood without a filter. If I use that hood with a filter I get vin-YET-ING. I just love the look of the camera with the rigid.

Maggie is at Atlanta, Thursday she flys home, maybe Friday I can pick up the M3-DS.

BTW I was a Boy Scout. Kinda proud that I remained a “Tenderfoot” for over 2 years. Even back then I was a “Lazy-Slacker” who never wanted to be an Eagle Scout. Anyways I’m familiar with Grumman canoes. At camp we would attack and swamp other canoes from other troops for fun.

Kinda funny that decades later, at Grumman, I would reunite with my old Troopmaster. Mr McNaulty was a welder at Grumman in Plant 14. When he saw me it was like seeing a ghost, and he asked me “Why are you not in jail, and how did you get a job at Grumman.” LOL.

BTW his son Brian was a hell raiser too.

Cal

A submarine.....

There was that guy in Denmark that built his own submarine. He ended up in jail for accidentally killing / murdering a journalist he was showing around.

Devil Christian,

“Maggie” worries a lot. Kinda funny that she wanted a bike for Christmas, but she’s afraid to ride it. Anyways the geared biked only gets used in the easiest gear as all the others are too tall for her. The bike is a heavy cruiser BTW.

I imagine a canoe would make her nervous.

Cal

Cal, I'm amazed you got that letter so fast !

I really think you should get a subscription to "Four Wheeler". They are always fixing up something and print a list of suppliers at the end of each article. Might save you time in running down suppliers.

A question for you: Is Nippon Camera good with Nikon F2 ? My black F2 needs to be looked at-there is a wire loose or shorted some place. It won't work with a meter and I've checked the terminals that supply power to the meters and I have no voltage there. I'd like to get this thing up and working fully.

MFM

Back