Bags

Black Label Bag. Sturdy, Weather Resistant and my best friend for my Leica M-A and two lenses.

penn.big.jpg

Could you show us the inside of it and what holds? I might like one of those.

That's the Black Label Bag "Evan's Walker Bag Mark II". I have one of those as well. Right now, I have it kinda stuffed with some of my mFT gear - Panasonic GX9, three lenses, mount adapters, batteries, etc. The bag has a nice padded liner that can be easily pulled out and used to hold your camera equipment if you want to repurpose the bag for other use temporarily. Perhaps these photos will give you an idea. It's a useful bag. Photos visible through this Flickr link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/gdgphoto/96ADkk

Another BLB, the "Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II", is a little larger and has an overflap that gives it a bit more carrying capacity, a bit more weather proofing, and allows easier access to the interior when shooting by flapping it over backwards so you can just reach in and grab what you want without having to fuss with the zipper opening. The Evans is a bit tidier for a smaller kit.

Black Label Bags are available from photovillage.com in New York City. Good folks. :)

G

I like Domke canvas satchels, though in everyday use they need to be replaced every few years. Prefer using these with Tenba inserts. Love the two large pockets in the front, and zipped compartments in the flap. Steel clasp tends to whack me in the face if I open the bag too quickly.

Currently have a Tenba satchel which is a bit bulkier and has more frills than your average Domke, but the Codura-type fabric lasts forever. Shoulder strap was too long for my taste, and the clasps which attach them to the bag wore out after a number of years, so I modded it, replacing original (crap) cast-metal clasps with parkerized steel parts salvaged from military bags.

Also have one of the Gore-Tex bags Nikon did in collaboration with the Yoshida Porter people, but this is still tucked away in the back of my closet until such time as I wear out the Tenba.

Am always on the lookout for bags emblazoned with the names of defunct manufacturers because I like the irony.

Tamrac Rally. It was purchased at discount store for something like 15 CAD. Don't know why it was so cheap. :)
I'm using it as everyday bag for fifteen years now. Those Rally series are camera bags, but made for everyday, everywhere you go.
I have some more Tamrac bags, including older than I use everyday.

One and only Domke bag I have was also heavily discounted at BH. It is more primitive than Tamrac ones, but I used it for travels and to have lunch bag in it and camera(s). I'm not impressed with shoulder belt connection to the bag at all. Metal triangle always goes off from its holding belt on the bag. Some damage due to bad design already present.

Godfrey, thanks for your detailed recommendations on sling bags. I now have some research to do! The wheeled Pelican case, unfortunately, wouldn't be too good for a slog through the woods.
Reminds me of something I read long ago. One of the f/64 guys (Ansel or Edward), known of course for his use of an 8x10 or 4x5 monster, said that if it's more than 50 yards from the car, it's not worth shooting. Old guy wisdom.

I'd be curious to hear from folks who've transitioned to sling bags. Out of necessity, I no longer carry more than a light body and two small lenses in a shoulder bag; about 10 years ago, I underwent a long spell of acupuncture and chiropractic treatment as a result of my insistence on lugging a Hasselblad system through the woods in a shoulder bag. My doctor was appalled when he heard this, and warned that I would be back to see him if I persisted in such nonsense. I now use a backpack for my medium format excursions, but find it very inconvenient. Do folks with back problems find a sling bag more comfortable and/or easier to use? Can you carry a bit more weight without discomfort or, worse, injury?

Retro, I tried a sling bag, but the weight is on one shoulder. Maybe it would work for urban streets.... but for hiking it loaded my spine poorly. Much prefer to carry a backpack.... even with just a Fuji 6x8 or a Makina 670. always have a fleece sweater, a jacket, water bottle and some snacks ...spotmeter and film... (at the very least). I find the more equally the weight sits on my spine, the better.

From the responses I'm getting, it seems that sling bags aren't much of an improvement over shoulder bags in terms of weight distribution. I had imagined that they would allow the mass of the bag to be swung around to the center of the lower back, but would still allow quick access by letting the user slide the mass to the front when needed.
I do use a Tamrac photo backpack; it allowed me to do a hike two weeks ago up Mt. Wheeler (13,160 ft.) with a Pentax 645 and a 45-80 zoom, plus the usual food, water, jacket, etc. My back held up fine, but the rest of me sure appreciated the hotel's hot tub that evening. So maybe I shouldn't mess with a system that works.

Bought my first Billingham in around 2005 after trying a few cheaper, synthetic alternatives, purely for my then new to me Leica. Now I have multiple Leicas, and many more Billingham (and Brady) bags.

Curiously, the older I get, the less I am comfortable carrying, and the smaller my preferred bags get. When I would carry two bodies and three lenses, it was a Billingham L2. I added a Billingham 72 a few years ago, and it is a revelation. One body, one lens, and a bag just large enough to carry it. Perfect!

Less really is more in this case; less gear, less weight, less empty bag space, smaller size.

Of course that didn’t stop me buying myself a Billingham Hadley One in Burgundy last year. Why? Well it looks beautiful, and seems endlessly versatile for all the cameras and accoutrements I imagine myself putting in it …. Some time. Yes, I am a Billingham bag tragic. Oh well :rolleyes:

Bag 1

Artist and Artisan ACAM 1100 “Evans Walker”. I once had two film Ms and four lenses, biggest Elmarit M, and a Leitz table top tripod and meter and film in it hiking in the Port Hills above Christchurch. Very comfortable all day. Now it has M9-P and three lenses.

Bag 2

Tenba Cooper 8. Similar size, but I prefer the Velcro fastening flap - “silent Velcro.” That has the Monochrom and three lenses. Often just two. Great bag.

Both bags comfortable across the chest all day.

It’s being talked about in this thread…

That's a thread? I'll look into it.

All the best,
Mike

Mike, this is a thread about bags, it’s being talked about in this thread and I’ve shown you a photo of it being referred to as a camera bag, but you obviously have an issue with me asking about it, so I’ll concede… you win. Have a great day.

Mike, this is a thread about bags, it’s being talked about in this thread and I’ve shown you a photo of it being referred to as a camera bag, but you obviously have an issue with me asking about it, so I’ll concede… you win. Have a great day.

John, I thought I was being civil and non-confrontational. I thought ( I think) it was just a bag, not a “camera bag”. I have no interest in winning or losing; I respect you too much for that sort of thing.

All the best,
Mike

Back