Bags

I'd like to hear more from folks that use the Peak Design slings.

I have both the PD Everyday Sling 10L and 5L bags, version 1.

I've used the 5L the most ... It's my standard carry for the Leica CL with three lenses, and would do as well for an M or other similar sized/shaped cameras. It also works very nicely for a Polaroid SX-70 type instant camera when you want to carry some extra film or other accessories. The EDSling 5L is a very handy size and shape, tucks nicely onto my back for carry, and is easy to pull around and get things in and out of. It will just barely fit my iPad Pro 11" fitted with its keyboard cover as well, which cuts down on what kind of camera equipment will fit.

The EDSling 10L is a much larger bag able to accommodate up to a Hasselblad 500CM with one-two lenses and at least one film back. I've only used it a little bit; it's made in the same thoughtful and full featured way as the 5L version, with a good bit of organizational aids in pockets and such, and a front pocket with an expansion feature using encircling straps that can also be used for a tripod carry. I tend to prefer the Wotancraft Easy Rider when I get to a bag of this size, however, because the Wotancraft has a more sophisticated cross-body harness with an additional shoulder strap that locks it in place on my back more securely. (The Easy Rider is a more expensive bag, however, by a good bit.) The Easy Rider is also a bit larger in size with a more rectangular box shape to the fully expanded section, and a removable camera padding insert.

Jeez, I have a lot of dang bags. LOL! :angel:

G

Check out this video of a discontinued Patagonia sling bag called the Mass. I says 9L but seems a little larger. I was looking for another sling bag ( I use a Fishpond Thunderhead Sling bag for fly fishing ). I bought a Mindshift Photocross 13 by TT for my Fuji kit-X-T1, X-T2, 18/2, 35/2, 10-24, and 55-200. But a big bag for a smaller kit for the day. I came across this Patagonia Mass sling bag ( mis-labeled on eBay ) and so far I like it a lot for a smaller kit combo. I have a Crumpler padded insert in it and carry a TLR, a folder, and my Fujifilm X100 in it. Perfect for a day out of shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSw9MMYLPmk

Patagonia Mass Sling. Mine is black:

https://www.geartrade.com/item/636088/patagonia-mass-sling-9l-shoulder-bag

TT Mindshift Photocross 13:

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/mindshift-gear/products/photocross-13

Fishpond Thunderhead Sling:

https://fishpondusa.com/thunderhead-submersible-sling

Yes, I take the Rolleiflex with me fishing:

One other sling I tried was a F Stop Fitzroy. OK but feels awkward on my back. The other slings above fit well.

I have tried numerous brands. After 40 years I have standardized on Domke bags.
They are well-made, durable, simple, fast to use and just plain work.

I use Domke F6 for my larger kit; Domke F5XB for my smaller kit.
Different colors hold different brand cameras i.e. "color coding".

Chris

Darlings,

Domke F-X5B and only having a little GR III and X100F with the teleconverter. It is perfect. Much of the work that I am doing is with iPhone (the horror, the horror!!:-D) Excellent picture quality. When I was a (much) younger woman I used Domke F2 but no more. Sometimes if husband and I go to work together for more than a day he brings a Urban Disguise 50 and that carries everything - his D750 and zoom and my little cameras...

I used a Domke 803 Nylon model for years but now have a BBB "Bare Bones Bag." that is even lighter. At my older age I limit the weight I carry severely.

I might have settled on a bag finally. Tenba 1914 attache type with a bunch of dividers. I put the lenses and filters in that and the camera around my neck. I don't carry the bag, but have it in my vehicle. As I'm not very mobile I'm not far from the vehicle should I want to change lenses. It's surprising how much not having one camera and lens will lighten the load in the bag.

II don't carry the bag, but have it in my vehicle. As I'm not very mobile I'm not far from the vehicle should I want to change lenses. It's surprising how much not having one camera and lens will lighten the load in the bag.

But is the bag still too heavy to carry, even with the load lightened? If it is, I can understand that. I seem to need to carry extra gear in a bag so I can have just the right lens for the shot. It seems I'm always changing lenses.
So I'm on a trip now, and one day instead of trying to shoot and carry a bag at the same time I left the bag in the jeep and worked with one camera and lens at a time, just putting one or two extra lenses in photo vest pockets. No bag to keep track of was rather freeing. By not carrying a camera bag we might not have everything we need for a shot; but it might free us to get shots we might have missed if we had to carry a lot of burdensome baggage. This recent experience made me remember when all I had was my M2 and 35mm Summaron. Then I was free to explore for the shots I could get with that outfit, and I got pretty good at it.

This discussion reminds me of when Tom A would occasionally talk about going "back to basics." It sounds like that is what you are doing, and something I need to do as well. The sort of thing that is valued by the "one camera one lens" adherents.

I use a variety of bags for different purposes, and own a lot more.

- Incase Ari Marcopoulos Signature bag. This is a very sturdy sling bag with a zippered opening, extra wide strap with quick release buckle, and was designed by Ari to hold a Canon 5D Mark II, Contax G2, Contax T3. When I'm working, the bag holds my Panasonic G9, assortment of Olympus primes and Panasonic zooms, or a couple of Sigma zooms, along with a couple of microphones, audio recorder, filters, batteries etc.

- Samsonite travel backpack - when I want to carry a bit more gear for work, the insert from the Hadley Pro fits perfectly in the Samsonite and carries my m43 kit along with my M9 and assorted lenses. It has hugely thick straps which makes it very comfortable, and it doesn't look like a camera bag.

- Lowepro Streamline 250 - this is a lightweight nylon shoulder bag with two padded front pockets for compact or mirrorless cameras and tiny lenses, an expandable main compartment for general storage, and an internal tablet pocket. I like this for when I'm only carrying a small camera and a couple of primes, but want extra storage space for snacks, drink bottle or a book.

- Crumpler Dry Red Boarding Bag - intended for travelers, I've lined the bottom of the bag with padded velcro inserts from my Hadley Pro. This bag fits a surprising amount, and I've put in my G9 with 12-35, M9 with Distagon 35 and a thick wallet. This is my walkaround bag for when I'm carrying either my M9 or a small mirrorless camera. Zip opening all the way, baby! Sadly discontinued, I should have bought a spare when they were on special.

- Alpaka Go Sling Pro - this is a new addition and I just love it. I have the limited edition x-pac fabric version and it is super light, holds a small mirrorless camera, spare prime lens, memory cards, batteries, filters and wallet. The strap has a quick release buckle and can be detached - I sometimes replace the strap with a Peak Design camera strap, which makes it even more comfortable. The GSP is designed with photographers in mind, and the zips are waterproof. I've walked with this in the rain and the insides stay dry, although I have sprayed it, and every other bag I own, with Nikwax Tech spray.

- Kata 3n1 medium - This bag carries my 5D Mark II kit, which includes the body, 70-200 f4 L, 24-105mm and 35L, along with batteries, filters etc. It's very workable for work and getting gear from A to B, but I'm not fond of walking around with it as it looks like a camera bag. In 2014, Kata merged with Manfrotto and Kata ceased to exist, but the same design team went to Manfrotto and many designs carried over. The closest would be the Manfrotto 3n1. Based on my Kata experience, I'd probably buy a Manfrotto if I wanted a larger camera backpack to carry a couple of bodies and large lenses.

I have many more bags, but those are the ones I use the most. Cote & Ciel bags are lovely but just not practical for me. Their straps tend to be too thin, the bags aren't shaped to hold objects like a mirrorless camera or rangefinder, and the zips are scratchy metal.

Billingham Hadley Pro - I don't use this much at all, as I have come to learn that I just don't like flap-opening messenger bags. I want a bag that I can unzip, pull out a camera, stash and zip up, and any kind of messenger style bag doesn't do that. I love the quality and looks of the Hadley Pro, but it just doesn't suit my style of carry and shooting. But I make use of all the internal padded insert parts.

Back